Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with slow build
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:45 am 

My current computer isn't worth upgrading so I'm going to start buying the pieces of a new gaming rig. I don't have a lot of cash to spend month to month so I'm going to buy one big piece at a time and hopefully have everything I need to put it together in 6mo or so. Question is what should I wait to buy last? Right now I'm looking to go Athlon 3500+ or 3000+, 1GB pc3200 ram, sli motherboard for future upgrading, 6600GT or whatever card is going for the $200 range, nothing special for a case. What componants should drop the most in price over the next several months? Thanks for any and all help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

get the motherboard, cpu and ram first. the last thing to buy is prob is the case or speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:19 am 

I would really recomend against this.......i did this on a comp i built about 2 years ago and i left the mobo till last to make sure it was compattible with everything else......by the time i was done some of the part i had bought at the start were massively out of date and needed to be changed......i finished the pc in 7 monthes of collecting, but ended up changing things for the next 9 monthes after that.....:( i suggest you save and buy all at once!

just my $0.02..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:30 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Exactly, if you buy peice by peice, you will regret buying that because there always wil be something better out by the time you are halfway done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:56 pm 

I realize the best/easyest thing to do is to save up and buy everything at once. I just don't think I can pull that off. Once I have $400-500 saved up I'll get a chance to go to Amsterdam or something and blow it all. Poor impulse control. I don't care if I have THE most current or up to date components. I'm playing a system 4yrs old right now for gods sake. I would just look to buy upgrade friendly components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:51 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

collecting parts for 2 to 3 months tops is all I would recommend, the 1st things I would buy are the case & hard drive, neither goes out of style :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If you are set on building it this way, the last component should be your video card, as they are the most affected by price fluctuations. I agree with Blondie, case & hard drives are a good choice to start with. Plus a good power supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:50 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

EvilJeff wrote:
If you are set on building it this way, the last component should be your video card, as they are the most affected by price fluctuations. I agree with Blondie, case & hard drives are a good choice to start with. Plus a good power supply.

I'd also get the DVDRD or CDRW as well as a floppy too. I don't recommend getting round cables until you know what case your getting. You may not buy enough, or get the wrong lengths, then when you go to exchange, they are out of them. Last, mobo, processor & vid card. I'd also use integrated sound for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:53 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Nvidia4Ever wrote:
get the motherboard, cpu and ram first. the last thing to buy is prob is the case or speakers.

other way around :)

if he cant use it fully, he should work on peripherals like speakers, that he can use with a current rig. A good case powersupply, floppy and dvd-rw as stated are all good to invest in atm.

You'll kick yourself if after 6 months from buying that cpu, if it gets damaged, or you see dual core established.

in the meantime - get a free mac :)
http://- Posting referrals is not allowed! -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Beomagi wrote:

in the meantime - get a free mac :)
http://- Posting referrals is not allowed! -

I'm reluctant to do this, is it reliable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Well Blondie, there's the 10 people to refer - that's the tough part. I really cannot fault athlon for posting that "stole from beomagi" thing, because he'd need another 10 people too :)

There's 3 parts.
A questionaire, (i answered no to everything :P)
A "deal" i went with that blockbuster thing. rent to your hearts content :)
then refer 10 people. Got 7 people, but none completed a deal

looking at the math, the bare minimum they get, is 11 people signed up.
think of a full tree of order 10 - that is, all leaf nodes are level. for a tree of order 10, there's 1111111111....1111 nodes (assume z 1's) so there's 10^(z-1) leaf nodes or 11.1% of those that actually have recieved macs.

consider the alternative - the best case for em, is they have a ton of people, maybe millions all with a few referals, and not complete, noone gets an imac, but they rake in a ton of money. It's advertisement at it's best.

I was planning to sign up to blockbuster anyway, so i went for it. hey, if it works, i get a new toy :)