Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building Intel comp....here is the details...thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:38 pm 

Thanks to those who reply....

sry for the long post

building a budget computer that is Intel based. reason being is b/c this will be for editing photos and some video rendering...budget is 600-700for everything and the cheaper the better with out sacrificing performance....just need it to work with out pulling out my hair waiting for the computer to do something...

Questions

Does the CPU I picked work with my mobo and does my mobo work with my ram....if I chose this case how am I with the PSU? do I need a video card for video rendering? can I get by without? btw, no games for this computer....do I need any extra fans for this case? am I missing anything?

Here is the list...

Case
Aspire X-Dreamer--PSU 350w $64 (sale)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 026&DEPA=0

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz w/ HT $184
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 200&depa=0

MOBO$65
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 036&depa=0

RAM
512mb RAM Corsair value select $54
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 479&depa=0

Optical
Sony Duel Layer DVD burner – CD ROM Black $62
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 241&depa=0

Hard Drive
Western Digital 80 gig 7200rpm $60.50 (sale)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 106&DEPA=1

Mouse
Logitech Black Optical Mouse $14
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 176&depa=1

Keyboard
Dynapoint Standard Black Keyboard $12
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 004&depa=1

Cheap speakers
Creative 2 speakers $19
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 149&DEPA=0

Monitor
KDS 17” CRT Flat $130 http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 031&DEPA=0

Total 664.5
Trying to stay under $675

What about this processor?

Intel Prescott Celeron 2.93Ghz $116
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 195&depa=0

Post subject: Re: Building Intel comp....here is the details...thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:50 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

jds6958 wrote:
Questions
Does the CPU I picked work with my mobo and does my mobo work with my ram....if I chose this case how am I with the PSU? do I need a video card for video rendering? can I get by without? btw, no games for this computer....do I need any extra fans for this case? am I missing anything?

Three things
#1, I would change the case to this ONE, not too expensive and will work with your setup.
#2, You've chosen an Intel 865 chipset motherboard, that mobo is great for dual-channeling, there fore you'll see much better results with these Memory Modules. Value Select is good but........
#3, That SONY Dual-Layer burner doesn't seem to include a burning software, but if you do have already a copy of a full version of a burning software.....I'd still would change it for a Lite-On DVD-DL, like this ONE, everything else is good.

The Celeron is decent but for the extra $70 you're spending in the P4, it'll be well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:47 am 

Dob,

tx for the reply....I was thinking that corsair would be better than Geil RAM??? Is Geil a good brand? It is rated well on newegg I guess. Duel channel is good but should I just get 1 512 now and ugrade another 512 later or get 2 256mb now and upgrade another 2 256mb later?

I like the case you selected...I may go that route to shave a couple dollars...i put it on my list of choices

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:37 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I have the case you picked originally. It's a decent case for the price. If you have never used an Asrock mobo, please go to the site and DL the mobo manual. I have one here (Athlon) that has a lot of jumpers, something I am not nuts about. One feature I did like- they allow you to not only use the front sound port, but also the rear instead of one or the other. I still do not have the system fully up & running due to driver issues with Win 98 (not 98 SE). I am waiting for time to surf for compatable drivers for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:42 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

I hope you can fit a new PSU in that budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:16 pm 

hey OC....

do you think the aspire PSU will work for what I want? I mean I am not running a vid card or anything? can't I get by with a cheapo PSU that comes with the case? or is it going to poop out on me?

I don't plan on doing much upgrading if any and just want a cheapo computer for photo editing that looks decent and is better quality than dell or hp that I build myself...I was also looking at the xblade what about that PSU?

is there a case that you recommend that comes with no PSU and then what PSU would you think fit well w/ my requirements?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:17 pm 

Blondie wrote:
I have the case you picked originally. It's a decent case for the price. If you have never used an Asrock mobo, please go to the site and DL the mobo manual. I have one here (Athlon) that has a lot of jumpers, something I am not nuts about. One feature I did like- they allow you to not only use the front sound port, but also the rear instead of one or the other. I still do not have the system fully up & running due to driver issues with Win 98 (not 98 SE). I am waiting for time to surf for compatable drivers for it.

Is their a mobo that you recommend for my set up that also fits w/ by budget?

tx,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:21 pm 

if I order all this stuff (from above OP) from newegg it will all fit together and work at least right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Not necessarily. You are responsible for making sure that all the parts are compatible. Newegg will not tell you whether or not your system is compatible because it just sees your shopping cart as a box of parts, not a computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:46 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

To answer your power supply question, I do not have pentiums, I am running the case PSU with the innards of a Compaq 8000Z (Athlon 1.4 Ghz, 1 Gig ram, 80 gig HD, CDRW, floppy, 64MB nVidia GeForce3 Ti200 Graphics card, Sound Blaster Live card) and it is working fine. It is an upgrade to the 300w that Compaq gave. You can try it, if you start having issues, then change it. It takes a standard PSU.

Looking over your parts list, the case fits up to an ATX mobo- the one you picked is a Micro ATX, it will line up. Your mobo is for Intel LGA 775 CPU, and the processor you picked is socket LGA 775, so you should be fine. The ram is the correct one, you may want to surf AsRock to see if they recommend Corsair & if it's compatable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:01 am 

Blondie wrote:
To answer your power supply question, I do not have pentiums, I am running the case PSU with the innards of a Compaq 8000Z (Athlon 1.4 Ghz, 1 Gig ram, 80 gig HD, CDRW, floppy, 64MB nVidia GeForce3 Ti200 Graphics card, Sound Blaster Live card) and it is working fine. It is an upgrade to the 300w that Compaq gave. You can try it, if you start having issues, then change it. It takes a standard PSU.

Looking over your parts list, the case fits up to an ATX mobo- the one you picked is a Micro ATX, it will line up. Your mobo is for Intel LGA 775 CPU, and the processor you picked is socket LGA 775, so you should be fine. The ram is the correct one, you may want to surf AsRock to see if they recommend Corsair & if it's compatable.

Thanks Blondie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:09 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

jds6958 wrote:
if I order all this stuff (from above OP) from newegg it will all fit together and work at least right? :lol:

It will all fit properly, when it comes to Intel chipsets, they are not that picky as other chipsets are, you throw any memory modules in those DIMM sockets and it recognizes them no matter what. Trust me, I've built 7 Intel systems and absolutely not a single problem over any Memory Modules I've installed, from the dumbass $279 I spent on a 1GB corsair to the $37 256MB DDR266, not a single failure and I know I don't need to knock on no stinking wood.

As for Power Supply goes, well, I have this A+GPB/Athena Power Black Mid ATX Tower Case with 400W Power Supply powering an Intel P4 3.0C, 512MB DDR400, GeForce 6800, 1x Lite-On DVD/CD-RW, 1x 120GB Hitachi SATA HDD, Floppy and the Intel 865PERLK motherboard. It runs fine and not a rebooting problem nor any at all.

Few things I'd suggest you would consider is these:
1-Get the case I showed you, you'll save $27.49 over the one you posted.
2-Change the motherboard to one of my personal favorites:[url=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-251&depa=0]
GIGABYTE "GA-8I915G Pro" i915G Chipset Motherboard for Intel LGA775 CPU[/url], even though you said you were not planning in doing much upgrading, well, just in case you ever have the itch to, this GIGABYTE motherboard is fitted with a PCI-Express x16 which the ASROCK doesn't have and AGP will pretty much die in the next 6 months or so, and also is fitted with PCI-E x1. By getteing this GIGABYTE motherboard instead of the ASROCK you'll be spending an extra $40.50 but if you get the case I showed you instead of the one you posted, you'll save $27.49 and if you substract that from the $40.50, you'll be spending $13.01 more, but, it's more future proof motherboard. Aside that it also has an intergrated video controller as well as the ASROCK.
All of these and above will fit perfectly. Just remember to get a duall channel KIT memory moduels and not a single module, and don't worry about the brand name, Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel will work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:28 pm 

dob1224 wrote:
jds6958 wrote:

It will all fit properly, when it comes to Intel chipsets, they are not that picky as other chipsets are, you throw any memory modules in those DIMM sockets and it recognizes them no matter what. Trust me, I've built 7 Intel systems and absolutely not a single problem over any Memory Modules I've installed, from the dumbass $279 I spent on a 1GB corsair to the $37 256MB DDR266, not a single failure and I know I don't need to knock on no stinking wood.

As for Power Supply goes, well, I have this A+GPB/Athena Power Black Mid ATX Tower Case with 400W Power Supply powering an Intel P4 3.0C, 512MB DDR400, GeForce 6800, 1x Lite-On DVD/CD-RW, 1x 120GB Hitachi SATA HDD, Floppy and the Intel 865PERLK motherboard. It runs fine and not a rebooting problem nor any at all.

Few things I'd suggest you would consider is these:
1-Get the case I showed you, you'll save $27.49 over the one you posted.
2-Change the motherboard to one of my personal favorites:[url=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-251&depa=0]
GIGABYTE "GA-8I915G Pro" i915G Chipset Motherboard for Intel LGA775 CPU[/url], even though you said you were not planning in doing much upgrading, well, just in case you ever have the itch to, this GIGABYTE motherboard is fitted with a PCI-Express x16 which the ASROCK doesn't have and AGP will pretty much die in the next 6 months or so, and also is fitted with PCI-E x1. By getteing this GIGABYTE motherboard instead of the ASROCK you'll be spending an extra $40.50 but if you get the case I showed you instead of the one you posted, you'll save $27.49 and if you substract that from the $40.50, you'll be spending $13.01 more, but, it's more future proof motherboard. Aside that it also has an intergrated video controller as well as the ASROCK.
All of these and above will fit perfectly. Just remember to get a duall channel KIT memory moduels and not a single module, and don't worry about the brand name, Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel will work fine.

thanks dob for your detailed input....I believe PCI express is the right way to go...thanks for everyone's help...I believe I have my list :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:58 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

You can't go wrong with a Gigabyte board, post back when you get it if you need help. Gigabyte's have dual bios (never, ever flash both at once) as well as something called Gigabyte backup- you press F9 while booting to back up your system- very handy to have. What I do is load windows, load mobo drivers, patch windows, install Crazy Browser, Firefox, Office & Works & 2 photo programs- then I go to Panda software online & do a virus scan. Once the scan is done, I reboot & run the backup. After it is done, I install my antivirus & firewall. Just be really careful that you don't go anywhere online other than trusted sites before the AV is installed.

Dob, that looks like a nice board. I'm thinking of building an Intel system for folding. Is this the newest pentium socket?