Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Z77 Chipset and memory help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:23 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So i'm thinking about purchasing the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro with a new Ivy Bridge processor. If you remember my post from back in February my main goal is virtual machines of servers, etc, and about 3-5 running at one time (deploying software to VM's, imaging VM's, testing WSUS servers, etc).

My questions are pertaining to memory. Do they make a 6GB stick of RAM? 4GB is too small and 8GB is too big for what i want. If no 6GB stick then can i get away with only filling 3 of the 4 slots on the motherboard? With 4GB sticks i end up with only 16GB of ram which might be bare minimum and with 8GB sticks i'm throwing money away because i'm positive 32GB is overkill. And with all 8GB sticks I can only find them in slower 9,10, and 11 CAS and not the quicker 5,6,7,8 CAS like on the 4GB modules. 24GB is that sweet spot i want. So thats my conundrum. I can't find any 6GB sticks which i find bizarre as, like i said, its the sweet spot for individuals with only 4 slots of RAM on their MOBO (which is a high majority).

If they don't make 6GB sticks, and only filling 3 of the 4 slots won;t work out what do you guys think about me filling two slots with 4GB sticks and the other two with 8GB sticks to give me 24GB of ram? I know the typical rule was to not mix and match ram but if i get them all at the same speeds and by same manufacturer do you think that would be a big issue?? if you think that would work do you know of any low CAS 8GB sticks (around 8 or below)?

Post subject: Re: Z77 Chipset and memory help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:44 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
first question no they dont make 6 gig sticks.

second question yes you can mix different sizes of the same speed memory, just pay attention to the slots you put them in. should be a matched pair in 1 and 3, and the other pair in 2 and 4. or just go by color, pair in the blue, pair in the black.