Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Suggestion of a video card for my desktop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 am 

Looking to get an affordable video card for my build. Right now I'm running on-board Intel video.

Asus P8Z68-V LE MoBo
i5 2500k cpu
8 gb corsair vengeance 1333 ram (4 2gb sticks)
Antec basiq 500w psu
LG E2360V-PN - 23" monitor 1920x1080

I think its time I use some of these specs and get a worthy but affodrable video card. Hopefully under $200 and certainly under $300 is my range. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I would like to run the latest games on a least high resolutions.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Suggestion of a video card for my desktop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can snag GTX 460's for $150. You can also get its better cousin, the GTX 560 Ti/560 Ti 446. If you prefer AMD, the Radeon HD7850 works too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

So I posted this about 5 months ago and haven't picked a card yet. What card would you suggest I consider for under $250? Would you suggest an XFX? I've seen a lot of positive reviews about this company.

What are some important specs to consider when getting a video card?

Also, is my PSU adequate if I add a video card?

If I were to get a video card and wanted to dabble in beginner/moderate overclocking what would you suggest I add and/or replace? I'm guessing a heatsink and a psu would be the minimum but this is my first build and I am a PC layman. anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Boins wrote:
What card would you suggest I consider for under $250?

Since I'm NVIDIA biased, GTX 660.

Quote:
Would you suggest an XFX? I've seen a lot of positive reviews about this company.

I did like them. I'm not sure what they're doing now since they went AMD only.

Quote:
What are some important specs to consider when getting a video card?

Well... none. Like Intel and AMD, you can't compare graphics cards against each other. However, if you want to compare within the same company: # of shaders and speed of shaders, in that order of priority. Don't bother getting anything more than 2GB on a card if there's a huge price difference between that and the upper end.

Quote:
Also, is my PSU adequate if I add a video card?

As long as the 12V rail is supply at least 25A-30A, you should be fine.

Quote:
If I were to get a video card and wanted to dabble in beginner/moderate overclocking what would you suggest I add and/or replace? I'm guessing a heatsink and a psu would be the minimum but this is my first build and I am a PC layman. anything else?
[/quote]
That's about it. A moderate overclock may not increase your power consumption appreciably though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

^ Pretty much what he said. If you want to do some research yourself and unbecome a PC layman, you can start here looking at video cards:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

Ideally, you would choose the best GPU that fits in your budget, but the higher the card doesn't necessarily mean more money exactly.

Boins wrote:
So I posted this about 5 months ago and haven't picked a card yet...

Haha made me laugh :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Not very often do I read a post that makes me laugh on these forums!

I usually use Tom's Hardware's Best GPU for the Money list as a good general gauge of what to buy. I personally, like LatiosXT, prefer Nvidia (Better drivers is my main reasoning). If my budget was around $250, I would save another 50$ and grab a GTX 660 Ti @ $300. There isnt really a card at the $250 price that I would pick up right now. The GTX 660 is 230$ so if you really can't go over $250 then get that, imho.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

Thanks for the help guys! I'm glad I could make a few people laugh too. This build was put together quick and on a budget with the intention of adding and upgrading in the future (I know I should have just saved a bit longer but I was without a PC for too long and only had so much money!)

If I get a gtx 660 or 660ti, is my psu adaquate?

Also while I have your attention, if I were to add or upgrade what would you suggest?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Boins wrote:
If I get a gtx 660 or 660ti, is my psu adaquate?

Yes. EVGA (it may apply to all GTX 660's) requires 24A@12V and you have 2x 18@12V max for your rails... but I seriously doubt a video card of this caliber will need 288W on one rail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:18 pm 

cool, thanks.

also considering this card. whatcha think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Boins wrote:
...Also while I have your attention, if I were to add or upgrade what would you suggest?

The only item I might ask you to consider is an SSD for your OS and select applications. Best bang for buck lately is 256 GB for about $160 or 128 GB for about $80, more or less depending on the brand and sale.

I'm hoping that that Radeon 7850 about which you inquired is a result of looking at my link a few posts up :mrgreen: According to Anandtech's benchmark, the Radeon 7850 performs slower than a GTX 660. It generally costs less as well. The GTX 660 Ti is definitely a step above the 7850 and almost $100 more.

Imho, between the Radeon 7850 and the GTX 660, I'd suggest the GTX 660 if you can manage the extra ~$40. Here is a side-by-side:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=660

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am 

Well after everyone's help and suggestions, it seems that the extra $50 would be well spent and I'm pretty certain I will go with a 660 ti. plus right now newegg is offering a free copy of Borderlands 2 with the card which alone would run me $50, so that helps!

From what I've read this card has positive reviews and it's been repeatedly mentioned that it is low on the power consumption.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127696

In my Elite 430 case there are 2 -120mm fans on top I use for exhaust along with 1- 120mm fan in the back for exhaust. I got the stock big fan in the front for intake at the moment.

There is a spot on the bottom of my case in front of the PSU for another 120mm fan along with one on the side of the case on the see-through panel. Being the fans on the GPU point down, should I install the bottom case fan as intake blowing onto the card? And should I also install the panel fan as intake?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Are you asking whether you should put a total of five or six 120 mm fans in your mid tower case? I really don't know if you need that many, but I don't see any harm it can possibly do. All fans are supposed to do is pull cool (hopefully) air from the outside of the case, through the case, and push it out on the other side.

You can only pull and push so much air into and out of a normal case. My guess is 4 fans for your Elite 430, depending on CFM and speed, would be plenty. I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If SilverStone's videos on the subject are to be taken seriously... More intakes are better as it will create higher air pressure in the case. This will force air out wherever it can. In one of their cases, they had the top and front fans as the intake, the rear and PSU fans as exhaust. Also keep in mind that your video card is an exhaust fan.

Might sound crazy, considering that the top fans should be blowing out hot air... but if you're blowing out more air, this creates lower air pressure in the case, which can cause dust to get in from the cracks, not to mention there'll be less cold air for the case to work with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. Just as I was deciding on the 660ti I noticed this newegg deal for a XFX 7950:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150616
After discounts and rebates it is $90 cheaper and lands at about $270....
Opinions?

LatiosXT wrote:
If SilverStone's videos on the subject are to be taken seriously... More intakes are better as it will create higher air pressure in the case. This will force air out wherever it can. In one of their cases, they had the top and front fans as the intake, the rear and PSU fans as exhaust. Also keep in mind that your video card is an exhaust fan.

Might sound crazy, considering that the top fans should be blowing out hot air... but if you're blowing out more air, this creates lower air pressure in the case, which can cause dust to get in from the cracks, not to mention there'll be less cold air for the case to work with.

I was reading about the MSI 660ti and the fans are intake. They pull air into the card to cool it rather than exhausting air. Upon boot up they momentarily run in reverse to blow dust out of the card. With that in mind I was thinking the card on the bottom of the case would intake cool air and blow it onto the card which would in turn pull in the cool air...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Boins wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Just as I was deciding on the 660ti I noticed this newegg deal for a XFX 7950:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150616
After discounts and rebates it is $90 cheaper and lands at about $270....
Opinions?...

I am of the opinion that one should purchase the best GPU that he/she needs and can afford. From the GTX 660 Ti on up, you are getting into the high end of current GPUs. It works arguably something like this:

GTX 660 Ti -> Radeon 7950 -> GTX 670 -> Radeon 7970 -> GTX 680

The above will vary slightly depending on the game, resolution, settings, with all other things being equal. The cost follows the same way, more or less, depending on the sale or deal. The Radeon 7950s are probably are better deal ATM than the GTX 660 Ti because the 660 just came out and because AMD recently slashed prices to compete with nVidia.

And this is the uncertainty with GPUs nowadays. For example, you may purchase that 7950 and feel great. But what if nVidia "retaliates" shortly after and slashes prices $50 for every card across the board? Imho, that is a relevant question in your situation and these times.

There is no one answer that fits everyone. Some people will never buy AMD and other won't touch nVidia on principle. Some have had poor experiences with either brand that may or may not reflect the reality of the quality of the GPU itself. Some people will chase the deal, buying whatever is the "best bang for the buck". And so on. Listen to folks here and other places, do your own research and make your best decision and stick with it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm 

Thank again for the help guys. I ended up getting the MSI 660ti OC edition.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127696

Anyways, I ran a 3dmark test just to see what it would say and here's the result:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4674450

Lol, I really don't know how to interpret the score but I noticed a few things that confused me. It said my graphics driver was not approved but I dl'd the latest driver from the MSI site and installed it when I installed the card. Also it says my core clock is 705 MHz. According to the card it say the core clock is 1019 MHz and the boost clock is 1097 MHz. Is there another way I can verify on my system that this is the actual setting for my card?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:30 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I don't think using 3dmark is a good indication of your GPU. MSI should have their own included control panel or some kind of proprietary software. Otherwise, you should be able to use the nVidia control panel?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

GPU-z is probably bestest. Keep in mind that reported clock rates may be lower at the time of polling, because GPUs will downclock themselves when there's nothing going on.

You should also use NVIDIA's official drivers, not the manufacturer's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:50 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
You should also use NVIDIA's official drivers, not the manufacturer's.

Thanks for the tip. i will fix that because now my monitor wont wake up out of sleep mode.... Hopefully this fixes if not I think it's time i migrate to another forum section for troubleshooting.