Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: battery backup (UPS) - APC or CyberPower
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Any suggestions on battery backup systems (UPS) from either APC or CyberPower? I've heard good and bad about both.

I'm looking for a system for my home (From what I found on their sites, a 1000-watt UPS will do fine). I'm just trying to decide which brand to get...

I do want one that can automatically shut down my Home server if I'm not home when the power goes out. I'm thinking that UPS technology is pretty much standardized now, and it's more about brand name. But I want to get a good battery that will at least give me a few years of use (I understand they degrade after about 3+ years and battery performance starts to suffer, which is normal for most consumer electronics batteries...)

Post subject: Re: battery backup (UPS) - APC or CyberPower
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I have always gone with APC but that is me. I can say that a company I used to work for that put systems into the airports used Tripplite. All UPS' that I have used have had the option to shut down after a specified amount of time and you can add in that you want it to shutdown the computer as well so that shouldn't be a issue since it has been around for some time now. If I had to make a choice I would go with your gut both brands should offer a warranty so go with you want to go with.

Post subject: Re: battery backup (UPS) - APC or CyberPower
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

From what I can see, the biggest difference is in price. Many times, the CyberPower seems to be a tad (anywhere from 10-20% cheaper, especially on the larger units--500VA or more) than the APC units.

I've never really used Tripplite myself, and haven't really known anyone who has (at least, their UPS systems).
I suppose if both the warranties are the same, I might just as well go with whichever one is cheaper (APC or CyberPower). I've heard both good and bad about both, so that sort doesn't help any in my decision. As we had said, as long as it can shut down the computer within a few minutes, and at least run the computer for 5 minutes to shutdown, then that's all I need.

I'm doing this mainly for my server computer, which happens to be an Intel Atom ITX board with two hard drives (draws, at most, 40 watts from the wall at full load), so I'm thinking that a 350VA or 500VA should do the job nicely. I originally was going to put other stuff on the UPS, but then realized that a good 1000VA UPS will be a bit more than I care to spend, and the important thing for me is that my server shuts down normally. The cable modem and router don't really need to function when the power goes out.

I guess in reality, it is similar to deciding between a Ford and a Chevy. Both have good points, and bad points. They have similar warranties, and similar safety features////