It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

For a $2k Build Which is better?
AMD: AM3+Bulldozer 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Intel: 1155 Sandy Bridge 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Intel Build for $2k or Less
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 am 

So I'm getting a $2k loan to get a new computer for school and as my primary gaming machine. This is what I came up with for an Intel Socket 1155 build. Any input or suggestions are helpful.

CPU: Core I7 2700k

Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3

memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

Graphic Cards: (2x) MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozr III

Case: NZXT CA-SW810-W1 White Steel

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100

Fans: (3x) XIGMATEK eXTREME OCTAGON Pure White 120mm
(3x) ZALMAN SF3 120mm Shark's Fin Blade

Hard Drives: (1x) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB Sata III SSD
(1x) Western Digital AV-GP 500GB IntelliPower HDD

Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

Speakers: Still Not sure on the speakers. Maybe HDMI audio will be good enough?

DVD-Burner: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

My plan for case airflow is first, to attach the dual radiator to the top of the case and use two of the XIGMATEK fans to exhaust from the top and one from the back. For the intake, two of the Zalmans from the bottom and one from the front.

I plan to have the Graphics in an SLI config which will hopefully give me about a 580 and a half performance wise.

Thanks for taking a look everyone,

Mikeyyy929

Post subject: Re: Intel Build for $2k or Less
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Wait a month for Ivy Bridge and get a gtx 600 series card. The gtx 680 just came out and I would get that over the 560 ti sli.

Also the h100 isn't that good of a deal for a little bit more you can get a real water cooling kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743 ... d=SXGEi4vC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

Danthrax66 wrote:
Wait a month for Ivy Bridge and get a gtx 600 series card. The gtx 680 just came out and I would get that over the 560 ti sli.

Also the h100 isn't that good of a deal for a little bit more you can get a real water cooling kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743 ... d=SXGEi4vC

I'm probably going to swap for the ivy bridge equivalent, but to be honest it'll be a few years before any application on the market can touch this CPU. I mean, I can still play games like Skyrim on max settings with my Pentium Dual Core E5800 machine and a gtx 550ti.

I've also decided that I want an sli configuration, but you do make a valid point with the gtx 6xx series, especially if I go for a ivy bridge cpu with the PCI-E 3.0 enhanced bandwidth and lanes that come with it.

I've been looking at performance reviews for the H100 and it seems to be the best "all-in-one" solution you can get without resorting to full on liquid cooling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

mikeyyy929 wrote:
Danthrax66 wrote:

I'm probably going to swap for the ivy bridge equivalent, but to be honest it'll be a few years before any application on the market can touch this CPU. I mean, I can still play games like Skyrim on max settings with my Pentium Dual Core E5800 machine and a gtx 550ti.

I've also decided that I want an sli configuration, but you do make a valid point with the gtx 6xx series, especially if I go for a ivy bridge cpu with the PCI-E 3.0 enhanced bandwidth and lanes that come with it.

I've been looking at performance reviews for the H100 and it seems to be the best "all-in-one" solution you can get without resorting to full on liquid cooling.

That isn't true you can't max Skyrim on that because MAX means 3 monitors, all settings all the way up. But that is mostly GPU dependent, still no reason not to wait for the superior CPU at the exact same price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 pm 

In what world does maxed out mean three displays? If I had meant multi-display I would have said that. Nor would I have a multi-display setup with an nvidea card when AMD makes a far better multi-display technology. I will also have you know that I posted this to get insight with other PC enthusiasts and to make friendly conversation. I also work in computer engineering and know the finer details about most of these technologies. Please don't post on this anymore if all you're after is to compare the size of our egos because I really don't want to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

mikeyyy929 wrote:
In what world does maxed out mean three displays? If I had meant multi-display I would have said that. Nor would I have a multi-display setup with an nvidea card when AMD makes a far better multi-display technology. I will also have you know that I posted this to get insight with other PC enthusiasts and to make friendly conversation. I also work in computer engineering and know the finer details about most of these technologies. Please don't post on this anymore if all you're after is to compare the size of our egos because I really don't want to.

Ok then the 550 can't play skyrim at 1080 with all the filtering all the way up. I'm sorry if I come off a bit forward that is just how I am but the 550ti isn't "maxing" anything, especially when you factor in 2560x1600 displays. There is another level of detail you aren't getting with the 550ti, I'm not saying this to belittle your build just to inform in a way. But right now you should be looking at the gtx 680 for the GPU as it adds a newer AA type and has a lot more consistent framerate (meaning less sharp drops in fps). But 3 display 3d surround would be max in most terms since it is the most intensive thing you can do. You may be able to max x resolution but there is always some technology that is a step ahead and will be the new max eventually. Just look at what is coming up soon with 4k resolutions, that is going to be pretty awesome.