Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Attempt at a $1000 dollar System
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:14 am 

I have read just about everything that is posted on these boards concerning budget systems and the specs that go with them.

I am helping a friend put together a system. We sat down and put this together on www.newegg.com Could you all take a look at it and make some reccomendations?

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1382747

Questions/Concerns:
1. Motherboard choice: This is the backbone of the system. We still are having 2nd thoughts about this choice (others are DFI and MSI boards).

2. Video Card: He is a real ATI fan and is pretty set on this card. Is there anything else in the $300 range that can compete with this?

Again thank you for all your help that you have given and my friends and I!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:56 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

What case will you be using? The mobo you picked is an ATX, just be sure that the case you pick (if you haven't done that yet) will hold the board.

Your mobo is socket 939, your processor is socket 754. I assume you meant to pick the 939. Go over to pricegrabber, the 3200 939 athlon can be had cheaper at zipzoomfly. I'm seeing it is the same price as the 754 socket at Newegg.

The MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum" is supposed to be a great board. It's only $27 more, but worth it from what I hear. Does it have to be an nForce 4 board or can it be an nForce 3 board?

You also may want to look at Monarch computers. They sell combo's.

One of the best things I found to do while building my son's system; was to go to pricegrabber and make a profile, then pick your parts & add them to your shopping list. You'll get notified when prices come down & it will give you other shopping options other than Newegg. You may be able to save more cash to afford that better mobo.

Another thing to do would be to check out Comp USA for the video card. You can get this one a Radeon X800XL for $299.99. You also may be able to get it cheaper, they are having scratch off cards from what I saw in my emails, unless that ad is over. Either way, the cash you save at CUSA will give you the money for the better mobo :wink:

Last thing would be ram. Here's a post I made. Your ram is Cas 3, if it were me, I would find something lower. He's better off spending a few more $ now than to be sorry later.

Also stop by One4ya's post of links

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:39 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Similar Thread

^-(o.o) That's my take. :D