Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Used laptop- Who do people recomend?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:48 am 

I am currently looking at used laptops in the $3-$400 range, 700Mhz +. I have mostly looked at Dell, but upon looking at others on fleabay I saw some great deals also, especially with Toshiba. What have people owned here? Are older Dells like the C600 reliable? Most of the Dells I am looking at are off business leases. Any advise?

Thanks for any help!
usang36 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I still use an old Dell and is doing me fine for what I want it to do. I am, however, pretty jealous of a buddy with a Panasonic...that's what I should have gotten back when. Panasonics are very rugged, and my poor Dell is in a rugged environment:p

I'd look a little newer though. The features in the P4, even if it's a Celeron, would be more worthy of the dollar over those older lap dogs.

Trio of Inspiron 1100's:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 88099&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 84405&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 74940&rd=1

Older Sager (700Mhz/Linux Red Hat):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 96436&rd=1

The IBM ThinkPads seem like they're a dime-a-dozen under $400. We also used those at work, and folks liked the Dell's a bit better. If a key fell off, good luck getting it to ever work again:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:23 pm 

panasonic toughbooks can take some abuse, the military purchases quite a few of them to use in the field--they just slouch horribly at playing newer 3d games. higher end toshibas had good graphics chipsets, but older ones often had overheat problems.

the dell c600 chassis is alright if you're not into gaming. since they're off lease they can have lousy batteries and hard drives. they also will have minimal memory installed on them (128mb) and you'll need a pcmcia modem/NIC to get networked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:45 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I swear by the Thinkpad name :D To me at least, they are very reliable and fast, easy as heck to find also. Keeping in mind, I am just a normal user, I have never gotten the opportunity to use these things in a bad environment, so your luck may not be as good depending on what you're doing.

If you're looking on Ebay, look at the PIII's, they are consistently really low priced compared to the P4's. No one pays attention to the PIII's :cry:

EDIT: Chumly, just checked out those links, do I ever wish I lived in the US... Those laptops are so cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:23 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

my old 700mhz IBM thinkpad is still chugging along, built like a tank, would strongly reccomend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:55 pm 

Thanks! At one time or another I had a bid going on Dell, IBM, or Toshiba. No Luck yet, but I will prevail...Thanks for your input!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:29 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/dskstmspecial.html

you might find a good one here

one of the folding members just picked up a 2800+ with rebates etc. for 499 delivered (sale is over) but see what is out there dont be in a hurry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:09 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

For that price/speed/era, dont go compaq. Our school has a deal with em past few years, and I've replaced my HD 5 or 6 times, the entire mobo twice, hinges twice etc. A friend had his HD die 8 times or so, within a year. Most of the people i know at Stevens were refering to the compaq as comcrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:22 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Beomagi wrote:
For that price/speed/era, dont go compaq. Our school has a deal with em past few years, and I've replaced my HD 5 or 6 times, the entire mobo twice, hinges twice etc. A friend had his HD die 8 times or so, within a year. Most of the people i know at Stevens were refering to the compaq as comcrap.

HP fixed those issues when they bought compaq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:22 pm 

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I ended up picking out a Toshiba Tecra 8200 850MHz for about $345. It met my criteria, one stick of 256 so I can just add one more, integrated wirlessB (I wonder if it is any good?) and the battery still works. I also found out that batteries for Toshibas are way cheaper than others, about $60-$80.
I did see a few older compaqs for a good price on ebay, but they seemed to all have bad screens or booting issures...Its fun to fix a laptop because it's so much more complicated than a desktop, but troubleshooting is difficult as it takes so long to take out the motherboards...and $$$ to replace!

The deal that got away was a new Dell centrino, never been used. The unit had no HD or caddy, battery or software. I figured it would sell beyond $500 but I stopped watching and it sold for $415 :( Oh well, there are some deals out there, thats for sure.

Thanks again!
Usang