Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Compaq 5000US CPU Upgrade?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:29 pm 

I cant believe Ive been tinkering with comps for about 8 yrs and have never come across this BBS. Great forum with loads of info!

However, Im looking for some info that Ive not been able to find here or anywhere else on the net.

A buddy of mine has a Compaq 5000US. Today I installed some additional RAM and a NIC for him and he asked me if we could upgrade the processor.

Ive scoured Compaqs site and havent couldnt find any info on the mobo. Unfortunately I was on my way out when he asked me so I didnt get the board model #. I do know that he currently has a 750 Duron.

Has anyone heard of or done a processor upgrade on this particular machine?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:30 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Have you tried running either Everest or SiSoft Sandra? Both will give you a bevy of information regarding your/his system:

Everest
Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:04 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Yes, I have that same box, upgraded just about everything- ram, processor, vid card, HD, OS. From experience, it is not worth it. What you are sinking into it will be as much as going to I buy Power or Cyber Power & buying a decent Barton system. I really do not recommend sinking the money into it. The computer has PC133 memory, which is very old and slow.

If your still interested, I will see which processor we put in it, I know I have the receipt in the file. Let me also add that the 5000US is only good for surfing the internet, if that. I was using it last year - gave hubby the newer Compaq 8000z, I could not stand it; it was so slow. That's when we ended up building mine. The 5000 would take a long time to do anything if I had more than 2 windows open.

If you respond & I don't come back, pm me. Some days I don't get all of the email replies for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:35 am 

Trust me, I'd love to build him a system but, he doesnt want to go that route right now. If I could drop a 1 gig Athalon in it and upgrade his vid card Im sure he'd be very happy.

As far as computer usage...all he wants it for is surfing. Right now he's using WebTv.

If you could find out what you dropped in it, Id appreciate it. I think he'd be perfectly happy with a faster processor (regardless of how much faster) and a 64 MB vid card for a whopping 100 bucks.

Thanks for the responses.

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

F15-Loader wrote:
Trust me, I'd love to build him a system but, he doesnt want to go that route right now. If I could drop a 1 gig Athalon in it and upgrade his vid card Im sure he'd be very happy.

As far as computer usage...all he wants it for is surfing. Right now he's using WebTv.

If you could find out what you dropped in it, Id appreciate it. I think he'd be perfectly happy with a faster processor (regardless of how much faster) and a 64 MB vid card for a whopping 100 bucks.

Thanks for the responses.

-J

From Compaq-

Dear Sue,

Thank you for contacting Compaq E-Support. It is clear from your inquiry
that you want to upgrade the motherboard and processor of the Compaq
Presario 5000US and I am sure to provide appropriate solutions to
resolve this issue.

All Compaq Systems come with Compaq OEM version motherboard.

The Compaq Presario 5000US comes with 750 MHz AMD Duron Processor which
can be upgraded to a maximum of 1400 MHz AMD Athlon Processor.

I found the receipt for the processor. When we upgraded the processor, it wasn't something we were comfortable doing, so we had Tandy do it. We were confused as to exactly which processor to add. According to the receipt, it says a 1.1 GHZ Athlon. I do not think it was replaced with a Duron, I believe it was a thunderbird. Your looking at a socket A processor. I found this at AMD.

Anyway, I did a search for a 1.1 GHZ Duron and found this. A search for a 1.1 GHZ Athlon brings up this page. I looked at Price Grabber & Newegg, neither lists it.

As to the vid card, we've run an ATI 9600 (plain version) as well as an Nvidia 2 Ti with 64mb, and I believe an nVidia 3Ti, 64mb. From memory I will say it has to be a 2x compatable card.

As to upgrading verses buying a prebuilt, your going to spend what about $300 upgrading this between the ram ($85 for a 256 stick), Processor $100, and vid card another $100 +, that's $300- at I Buy Power or Cyber Power, for $100 more he can have a newer faster system. Please look at I Buy Power- the cheapest 64 system is $435.00 with free shipping, a game & a printer. Then, at Cyber Power, the cheapest system is another 64 for $459.00 also with free game, printer & shipping. Your friend can sell both the game & printer to bring his total down to $300. If you visit Monarch Computers, you'll see they offer the cheapest for $369.00. Radio Shack & Walmart both have $300 computer options.

There are other options as well- Comp USA has a nice case for $30, you can find a mobo & processor combo to fit it from Fry's for as low as $40. A copy of XP is less than $90, then add to that a stick of PC2100 for $30 to $50 and he has a newer system. Take the 30 gig HD out of the 5000 & put it in the new system. Next, part up the 5000 and sell it for parts on Ebay- there is a market for 5000US parts. Chances are, a newer box will end up costing about $100 if you part out the Compaq & buy the one from I Buy Power.

Something to think about - the 5000US is about 4 years old. I purchased mine on 03/07/2001. How much longer will the mobo work? If it does die, your friend will be pissed that he spent the cash on it to begin with. I don't know what else to say to get you to not put any money into that box, but in the end, it is probably your decision since your friend knows nothing about computers or his options. Please, if you do upgrade that box, the most I would spend on it is $100- with parts from Ebay; no more than that.

There's also a thread here about building a $300 system. Maybe some of the ideas or links will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:46 pm 

Or I could buy a 1.1 GHz T-Bird from IKorDesign.com for 50 bucks, a 64 MB MSI Vid card for 45, and the RAM locally and still not have to buy a case, fans, HSF, and OS.

BTW, I find Pricewatch.com has a more comprehensive listing that Pricegrabber.

As for RAM...he's got 512 in it right now. Sure, another 256-512 would be nice but I dont think its necessary.

I know what youre saying, Ive built literally hundreds of machines over the years. However, at this point the customer (my buddy) doesnt want to go that route. Ive talked to him about just building a new machine and he says he doesnt want to do that "just yet"...I dont know what he's waiting for but...LOL.

Basically, I think he just wants something thats reliable that he can surf with and e-mail on. I think the CPU upgrade with vid card will do the trick.

Thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it as does, Im sure, Todd.

-J