Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finding the ideal card
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:28 am 

I own a old alienware that runs a 1200 amd and a nvidia geforce 3 w/64mb and a pioneer 6x dvdrom . Its a kick ass machine but it when I play dvd's the playback performance is not the quality that I want. There is a lot of fuzzyness and jagging. I was wondering if there is any program out there to help this. Right now i am using power dvd to whatch the dvd's. What I want is the screen to display the hi def playback I know the FE950+ can display. If there is no program for this issue what would be the best solution to attain this goal. I am looking to upgrade my pc but all that really want is to achieve this goal. Given the components that I have if I need to upgrade my pc for this issue (which i probly do) what are the ones needed to veiw high def picture quality. Any feedback would be appreciated.
THX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Your vid card is pretty old. I would start with upgrading drivers, if that doesn't help, it may be time for a new card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:49 am 

Which card would be best suited for the specs of my machine. If I bought one of the higher end card would I see much use of its potetial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:05 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

I wouldn't place a GeForce 6600/6800 or Radeon X800/850 of any flavor into that unit.

Reason: Your CPU won't be able to process faster.

I'm thinking that maybe, instead of a new GPU (unless there's a problem with it), a better playback software would do the job.

I built a "Media Center" for PVR duties and DVD playback from "scrap" parts lying around. It's a spare AthlonXP 2000, with an nForce2 motherboard. The video card is a GeForce3-Ti200 64Mb. WinDVD Platinum is my playback software. And laughably, the DVD is an Artec DVD-ROM. There is no stuttering, skipping, etc.

SC64