Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is this adequate cooling?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, for my future rig, I am planning on cooling my CPU (FX-55 and maybe duel procs if I wait) and my video cards (two 6800 Ultras :twisted: :twisted: ). The case that I am planning on using is the Silverstone TJ03. It has four cooling fans: Two 80mm at the back, one 120mm at the front, and one 80mm at the top. Since I am water cooling my PC, those four fan should be adequate enough for cooling, right? Only my 120mm is an intake, the other three are exhaust. Would those fans be enough?
Also, since i am trying to build the quietest PC I can, would the Antec Phantom 350w be enough, or should I go with the 480w Coolmax PSU? Has anyone tried the Coolmax before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

A 350watt PSU trying to power all that gear? You need something more than 450watts to power all those babies.

Don't bother with watercooling, IMO.

The case you can still use though, but you may want to get a cheaper one while still getting a good quality one. Silverstone, CoolerMaster and Thermaltake make some nice cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The reason I plan to watercool is that I may overclock my PC in the future and water cooling will be much more efficient than fans. I also would like a quiet PC, as trying to play games such as Call of Duty online is difficult with fans booming next to you. Lord knows how many times I had died when an enemy soldier sneaked up next to me and shot me and I didn't even hear his footsteps.
My goal is the cut down as much fans as I can. What other power supply would you recommend that's quiet? The reason I chose the Coolmax is because it's fanless... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The tradeoff for watercooling isn't worth taking the risk. You can risk damaging most of your equipment, unless you definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) know what the hell you are doing. Plus you will still have fans running, and adding watercooling equipment means more money (although that looks like it's not an issue since you are talking high end equipment).

There are some nice cases available where the fans aren't very loud and the cooling is adequate in the interior. The cases I mentioned do a good job with those things in particular. My personal favorite is the Thermaltake Tsunami. One of my roomates here at college has one, and it's fairly quiet. They sell one regular one and another with an acrylic window w/ extra fan.

Enermax makes a very quiet PSU and it's very efficient. Antec also makes the NeoPower 480w. It has all the necessary connections as well (24 pin mobo connector, sata cables, pci-e cables).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:59 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

If your pc is that loud that you hear it over the game, something is wrong. 1st, buy yourself a nice headset- Walmart has Logitech's for $15. Next, figure out which fans are loud.

Take a look at this post- fans are being discussed there.

FWIW, I have 2 fans in the front, with 1 on the back. I used to have a loud HSF till we got another one, it made a heck of a difference. serialclocker from here just picked up some papst fans that he says are really good. I'd have to agree with everyone, I'd look into quieter fans before going to water cooling- idk, something about liquid & electricity really freaks me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:49 am 

Please buy a bigger power suplpy than 350W, you dont want to embarrass yourself. Remember your planning on running two of the biggest processers and two of the biggest vid cards. If i were you I would at least consider looking at this case before deciding---> It has a front panel Fan speed controller, and a front panel temperature LCD.
[url]
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 095&depa=1[/url]

I would consider insurance if you get the water cooling system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Insurance for computers, eh? Interesting....

Has anyone actually bought insurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:05 am 

It's not just insurance for your computer, it's insurance for your whole house if you get a leak inside your case while you're sleeping and your house bursts into flames :)

I'm doing research to build a new system (note this is my first post) and noise is also a consideration for me. The Antec Sonata cases look pretty quiet, you can get quiet fans, you can get hard drive enclosures that will muffle the HD noise (as well as look for quiet HD's)...there are a lot of place to dampen noise before you have to get involved in water cooling.

You should definitely be able to build a system that's quiet enough to hear footsteps in Call of Duty without water cooling, I'd think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

were talking a pcp@c 510 SLi or a ocz powerstream kinda job there....