Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sad 3DMark Score
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:11 am 

I have recently upgraded my system and tried my hand at benchmarking it.
I downloaded the newest 3DMark utility and checked my rig against some of the other in the online database. Well needless to say I was very disappointed.

So here is my question, using air cooling, and stock heatsink on my videocard how much should I bump the settings without doing damage to my video card?

Here is a list of the vital specs:
AMD 64 3200 (1Mb cache)
Albatron K8X800 pro mobo
1Gb Kingston DDR400 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (128 Mb)
cpu temp 43d celcius
gpu temp unkown.

Yes I do have all new drivers for mobo and video card. Updated bios on mobo, not sure about wanting to flash the videocard bios yet.

3D Mark score was around 5700
videocard has not been overclocked at all so memory and core are at factory settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:58 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Do not be dissapointed if you are not coming out on top. Just amke sure your score is within the average for your setup. Many factors and variances between systems will create different scores. Many of the very top within your range are either; cheating, Modding the heel out of the mobo/vid, or it was a flake in the benchmark itself. I never concern myself with the top scores at futuremark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:20 am 

that score looks about right for a 9800pro, atleast when i bench my system. i have the same video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

-=WA=-_TRAGIC wrote:
that score looks about right for a 9800pro, atleast when i bench my system. i have the same video card.

yes, it is within the average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:51 pm 

Thanks for the feedback I am new to the whole benchmark scene. I did notice on the site that I was on to do comparisons that most of the Radeon 9800 Pros were overclocked. That was why I was wondering is it safe to do a conservative overclock with the stock HSF.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:38 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Mike_A36 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback I am new to the whole benchmark scene. I did notice on the site that I was on to do comparisons that most of the Radeon 9800 Pros were overclocked. That was why I was wondering is it safe to do a conservative overclock with the stock HSF.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback.

It would be fine with casual overclocking. Just don't run it OC'ed all the time.

I bump mine up when I am going to go in a game, or benching. Other than that it stays stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you're interested in overclocking your card you should spend some time reading first. Check out the forums at www.rage3d.com. There is a ton of good info there. The more you read the more you will know what to look for when overclocking...artifacts etc. It will put your mind at ease about blowing up your card..lol

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to NOT get all hung up on your score...that leads to blown up cards...I know :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:59 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Also, I've seen larger jumps in 3dmarks scores from even moderate CPU OC'ing than in pushing the vidcard way up there. I'd do some moderate OC's on both and see if the score has gone up to what you feel happy with.