Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Power supply/sound card help please
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:26 pm 

Dear all

Your advice has been sound so far in my quest for my very own gaming dream machine, below are the so fars, how am I doing? Am I missing something? Anything I should have but don't? Any incompatibles?

I'm stuck on which power supply as the Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W is currently 'out of stock' everywhere. Should I buy a temporary one? Is there one I could buy locally (compusa, circuit city, best buy etc.)?

Now the sound. Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI, or the Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro PCI?

Mobo - ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset
Case - SILVERSTONE Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case, Model "SST-TJ03"
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
Ram - OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB
Graphics - eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
Hard drive - Seagate 7200.8 300GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ
DVD - NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Monitor - NEC/MITSUBISHI FE2111SB-BK 22"
Speakers - Logitech Z-5500

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ok first let me say WOW you must be rich, unlike me I can barely afford a 6800 Ultra :cry:

About the power supply go for a Antec Neopower they get good reviews and are reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:57 pm 

WizKid45 wrote:
Ok first let me say WOW you must be rich, unlike me I can barely afford a 6800 Ultra :cry:

About the power supply go for a Antec Neopower they get good reviews and are reliable.

Thanks for that and my local Compusa have one in stock....... :D A quick trip tomorrow and I'm ready to go. Any advice on the sound would be greatly appreciated!

I saved a long time to do this................Well, I gave up beer for a week or two! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:53 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

i dont think theres really any need right now to go beyond the platinum pro zs 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

yea, the audigy platinum zs 2 is good. for psu i recommend either the OCZ powerstream 520 or 600, or the pc power and cooling 510 in what ever flavor you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

you can go to your local compusa and get an antec power supply. i also second the antec neopower as the other post said to get. antec makes really good power supplies, i have an ante SL model power supply and its working great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:45 am 
Team Member
Team Member

As far as sound card, I haven't heard the onboard sound from those boards so I can't tell you how much difference in sound quality there is. With the Audigy 2 ZS series of cards, pretty much the only difference in them is what accessories/games, etc are bundled with it. If you don't want or need a front audio panel, get an OEM version, it will save you some money.
I just put an OCZ Powerstream 520W in my rig, it's a really nice power supply. The great thing is the adjustable voltages, you can dial it in exactly where you want it. Plus, it's pretty quiet. The Neopower has very good reviews also plus detatchable leads. I think the detatchable leads are a negative myself, since that is another point of resistance in the circuit, plus with a rig like you're building, there won't likely be leads left over when you're done anyway.
I would recommend the 600 watt OCZ, that way if you want to add a second card in SLI later you'll have plenty of power, the Antec is nice, but I would go for the extra power of the OCZ, especially with the potential to run dual Ultras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Quote:
Thanks for that and my local Compusa have one in stock....... :D A quick trip tomorrow and I'm ready to go.

Thats true but I was just at Compusa ans they are $150 there if that is any concern.