Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does Old AMD Slot A Athlon Need Thermal Paste?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:15 am 

Hello everyone...

I gave my old computer I built to my future mother-in-law. It's an Athlon 500 MHz right now, and it seems to work fine for her (she just listens to CDs/MP3s, surfs the net, e-mail, Word/Excel usage; some of these are done concurrently). But I've found a Slot A 850MHz Athlon and I was thinking of upgrading her to it so the computer lasts a little bit longer for her. I was going to do it at the same time of upgrading her hard drive, because I just used her 4 GB, 5400 RPM hard drive from her ancient machine since I kept my hard drive for the new build. She's FINALLY considering upgrading, and I'll try to get her to go to Win2000 from Win98 at the same time.

I was curious... IIRC, there was a small square of thermal tape on the back of the Athlon's heat plate in the center. But I think I ended up using thermal paste over the whole heating plate. There are no problems right now, but I was wondering what the optimal solution is for attaching the heat sink. The case is somewhat cramped, and the PS is just one that came with the generic case and does not have a fan to aid in ventilation. As I said, there are no problems now, but with the slight bump in speed, I want to do the best job while I'm doing this the first time (swapping the procs). I'd really rather not have to go back and do this again because of overheating problems from having not used the best method.

Any seasoned slot A veterans out there? :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Post subject: Re: Does Old AMD Slot A Athlon Need Thermal Paste?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:08 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

tony2442 wrote:
Any seasoned slot A veterans out there? :wink:
Well, I used to have a Slot A 500Mhz and used Thermal paste. I recall Intel used to recommend using a pad of some sort on the old PII's as the large Integrated heat spreader is hard to get perfectly flat (same goes for the heatsink I imagine). I guess since the thermal pad is a bit thicker, it helps fill in large gaps that may occur.

Here's some that use Shin-Etsu as the thermal interface. From what I've seen, Shin-Etsu is very good. This also appears to be AMD approved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

use thermal paste, it will ensure good heat transfer.