Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should I get the Logitech Z-5500 5.1's or Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's????
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 82%  82%  [ 23 ]
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Should I get the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 or Klipsch ProMedia 5.1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:55 pm 

Hi, I am about to purchase a surround sound system for my computer and my home theater system and I can't decide whether to get the Logitech Z-5500's or the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's. I have read several reviews on both sound systems and it looks like the Z-5500's are the better system to get. I will be using these speakers for my pc, watching movies, music, and for playing xbox and ps2. But when I asked my friend which ones to get he said to get the Klipsch because it was a 2 way speaker with a tweeter and a mid-range where the Logitech's use the Phase Plug drivers for the tweeter and the mid-range and that it wouldn't sound as good as the Klipsch. And when I looked on other forums the majority of people have said to go with the Logitech's. I want to get the best system for my money but I can't decide on which one to get. So if any of you have personally heard both of these systems in a side by side comparison and can give me a good decision on which system to get I would greatly appreciate it. Well, it dosen't have to be a side by side comparison but I would like people that have heard both systems and not just one of them to reply and help me with my decision. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:08 pm 
Team Badger
Team Badger

The Klipsch may have slightly higher fidelity for being 2 way, but weigh the pro/cons of either system and the 5500s will come out on top.

The Klipsch system doesn't have any digital inputs, the 5500s have Coaxial and TOSlink.

And with digital inputs come digital sound, DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1, both are supported with the 5500s.

5500s has more power per satallite and more subwoofer power.

The Klipschs have 2 way satallites, so somewhat greater range than single drivers.

The Logitechs are cheaper.

Get the Logitechs, your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

The Klipschs only really make sense if: You have money to burn, you have a separate digital decoder that will output via analog (Creative DDTS, AUdigy2zs internal decoder) and don't mind extra static and interference from analog.

Also remember, Digital (Coax/Toslink) sounds better even for stereo music/games, less-no interference/loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:35 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

agreed.

the logitech's are a much better deal when all the features are considered. especially if you will be using this to play console games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:36 am 

The Z-5500's would be the way to go. I have the Z-680's and love them. Over the past year with the comparing between klipsch and logitech from me reading all type of user reviews and etc, the only point klipsch fans point out is that there sats are 2-way. Ok, no big deal they may sound better but not by much. They also say that logitech subs is boomy. Ok, no big deal just dont put the logitech sub in a coner.

Also a point I like to state with klipsch they brag about having 2 8" subs so thats going to automatically make it better than logitechs. WRONG

Klipsch total subwoofer power is 170watts, meaning each one of those subwoofers is only putting out 85watts each. So that makes logitech 1 8" or now with the new logitechs there 1 10" sub powerful then both of klipsch subs put together.

If you have an audigy card you can easily increase the highs on the sats of the logitechs without losing any midrange by turning up your treble in the creative mixer.

All I can say is with the proper tweaking of the logitechs, they can easily drown klipsch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:41 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I've owned both the Z680s and 5.1 Ultras. Both are excellent, but my ear actually favored the Logitech speakers. Plus, having the remote for volume control was a big plus for me.

I've since sold both sets of speakers an have an unopened box of Z-5500's sitting in my room. If a few weeks, I should have my computer built and give add that set into the comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:11 pm 

Ok, thanks for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it. You guys can keep posting your opinions if you want to. After reading several more reviews including the Maximum PC review and lots of other customer reviews I have decided to get the Logitech Z-5500's because I can get them with free shipping from amazon.com for $269.99. And like you guys said they come with the digital decoder, they support more formats of music, and they have more power. Thanks for all of the help. Also, if any of you guys play Xbox Live my gamertag is Carnage311. I mainly play sports games and rainbow 6. With the occasional splinter cell and halo 2. Later guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:09 pm 

Hi guys it's me again, sorry for double post :) . Well I told him that I was going to get the Z-5500 and he then told me to get the Creative Labs Gigaworks 5.1 but I told him that they cost to much and that creative makes shitty speakers (which they do I have owned several sets). But that is not what I was going to tell you guys. What all do I need to set up these speakes to my xbox and to my pc. I know I need a fiber optic cable but what kind do you guys suggest. Also is there anything else I would need to hook it up to my xbox and pc. I have a creative labs 5.1 sound card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:10 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

what ever you do steer clear of creative speakers, they suck. all you need is the optical digital cable for the xbox, and the speakers regular headphone jacks for the pc.

Post subject: Z5500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

If you decide to get the Logitech Z5500, which I do highly recommend, get the ones that has detachable speaker wires. The earlier versions have the speaker wires permanently attached to the speakers which max out to 25 feet in length. Since the Z550 are THX certified you will have a blast watching dvd movies. Had mine 5 mnths now and love them very much, no regrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:59 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i am a proud owner of the logitech Z680s and i love them. id say go for the z5500. they rock!!!!