which one!
AMD 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
pentium 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: im at a standstill!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

well, its a week or two before im ready to hit the store but i cannot decide whether i want an AMD pr a Pentium CPU. now, this may be the wierdest thing you have ever heard but ive heard such good things about each that i just cannot decide. beofer you ask i will be playing some lower level games such as everquest, WoW and maybe Medal of Honor and Halo 2(well, Halo 2 is actually one I already bought) and also be doing a lot of streaming and all the little things like managing my webiste and writing the occasional essay unless i can get my friends to write it.
the reason i cannot decide is like i said they are both so good and i keep looking at Pentiums almost automaticly (dont ask why, i have no answer) but i heard that AMD is currently better for gaming even though they run hotter (just a rumor or is that truth?). also, i have a small ass budget (6-700 dollars for the whole system) so i do not want to go to end up spending 300 on a cpu.

P.S. does anyone know what socket that mobo will be thats needed for the dual processor gigabyte GPU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

god damnit people, i see a new thread like this every day, just go and red the 32,000 other threds like ths nstead of making a new one, seriously

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Like Athlon11 said, do a search through the forums. I'm sure you can find more detailed answers.

Generally, AMD is cheaper. If you are working with a budget then this is a good CPU to start out with. You are correct that they run cooler than the Pentiums (especially the 90nm), but sometimes that can also be due to some Arctic Silver thermal compound and the right heatsink. Games will run fine on either one since you aren't playing something like FarCry or Doom3. I say go ahead and configure a system for both if you get the time and see which one will work for the price range. Don't forget to look at NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, or ChiefValue for the best prices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:07 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

the dual gpu gigabye comes as a package deal wnd would break your budget :)

You can go for a single 6600gt for about $180 and that shuld handle your gaming needs for cheap.

managing a website, writing and streaming dont use much resources.

Dont you mean halo? or is halo2 out for pc? i WANT halo 2 for pc :lol: but maybe i'm missing something. Is it on the way? has there been an xbox emulator?

read the benchmarks, weigh those necessary, and to thine own wallet be gentle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:22 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

oh yea oops! when i said i bought halo2 i mean that i paid my frnd who has major conections. im getting an emulator from him but i paid him 20 extra bucks to get it for me as early as he can.

srry for the vagueness. and the reason why i didnt read the other threads is i just was purely lazy and had only just downed my first cup of coffee so i didnt feel like doing much looking

also, im not getting 2 systems! it took me too long to save up this money beacuse im saving off just about 100 dollars a month (i probly get more when you count al the work i do) from my dad (glad i still live at home!).

i guess i wil go back to ibuypower and peak at some of thier AMD rigs before i get on the xbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Quote:
i guess i wil go back to ibuypower

Please don't plan on buying from them! You can configure something and just buy the parts from some other retailer, but DONT LET THEM MAKE IT FOR YOU!

Those people can't put together a PC period. I'm being literal too. A dorm mate of mine at college ordered a computer from them. Paid about $1500 for a nice setup. Too bad it came with nothing hooked up inside. To make matters worse, the mobo fried during the first week of use. Not necessarily their fault, but it did take almost 2 months to get it back.

Don't know how others faired with ibuypower, but after seeing that first hand I wouldn't buy from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HOLY frigging crap!!!
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/xbox/

See, you stop looking at emulation for a while and out just a whole slew of surprises.

What 2 systems?

in general you can look for
939 mobo with pcie - chaintech has it for $99
athlon64 3000+ or 3200+ - they're $155 and about $196?
video - 6600gt - $180
select your hd, dvd drive (55 for an nec/liteon etc is nice)
case and psu - get a case that wont cut you, and about 350 watts, preferably 400 or more.
one of these would do just fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:41 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

maxime29 wrote:
Quote:
i guess i wil go back to ibuypower

Please don't plan on buying from them! You can configure something and just buy the parts from some other retailer, but DONT LET THEM MAKE IT FOR YOU!

Those people can't put together a PC period. I'm being literal too. A dorm mate of mine at college ordered a computer from them. Paid about $1500 for a nice setup. Too bad it came with nothing hooked up inside. To make matters worse, the mobo fried during the first week of use. Not necessarily their fault, but it did take almost 2 months to get it back.

Don't know how others faired with ibuypower, but after seeing that first hand I wouldn't buy from them.

i hope that was just a one-time deal your mate got there but i wil take your advice and make newegg happy(ive already compared and its no price difference). i wil investigate that but you may have just saved the hair on my head.

edit: magi, you posted while i was so i didnt get to respond to you
i have a good idea of what i want except for mobo and CPU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've been an Intel fan since my first machine in March of 94 when the 75-MHz DX4 processor shipped. From then on, my only AMD rig was the K6 233 wihch was good, but i still lean toward the Celeron 233 that my friend had with a similar setup because we did our own comparisons while gaming.

My next machine was the P3-600E, the best runner I've ever owned, a rock solid machine that lasted me 5 years, til a relative insisted on an offer I couldn't refuse. With that said, I had the money to buy a nine-hundred dollar P4 3.2 EE proc. Sadly, it sat for two months because I had to scrounge for some change and eat canned spam just to get a mobo for it.

Nevertheless, the P4's former gaming weakness against the Athlon 64 has been ironed out by the 2 MB L3 cache. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 is only marginally slower.

Take your pick...if you are in the economy class you'd opt for the AMD 64 or join me for lunch over canned spam. :P

Last edited by daveyd on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:25 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

I would sooooo take AMD over the Pentium tech. However, I would take Intel over AMD. :)

Don't understand? Review your poll. :P