Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Good sound card?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:45 am 

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-171&depa=0

My computer lacks a soundcard and speakers...and the headphones are getting really annoying, so its time to spend money. I was looking at this card but have a question. It says its a 7.1 card, but will it support 5.1?

Another question...i'm looking for some decent 5.1 speakers (i'll be using them for mostly gaming) around the $100-150 price range. Any suggestions?
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:50 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Yes it will run 5.1, but only get the GAMER version if you want the games included. Otherwise, you can get a retail Audigy 2 ZS for $85 shipped HERE.

As for a set of 5.1 speakers in the $100-150 range, your best bet may be the Logitech Z-5300's. We'll see what others have to say, as I haven't owned nor sampled a pair of mid-priced 5.1's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:42 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was thinking of getting the Creative P7800.

/shrug

I'm cheap. :)

Edit: Sorry, got confused...sound cards...speakers...er..

Anyway, I would also get an Audigy 2 ZS...maybe not the platinum, but even OEM.

Like I said...cheap. :)

Last edited by Lummoxx on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yea, I'd go with the ZS 2 Platinum... awesome card, love the som' bitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Other than the front panel, does the Platnium stand out other than any of the other ZS cards?
But as One said, unless you want the games, the normal Audigy he linked would suite you just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Not in my opinion. Maybe it has digital outs or something, but I still use analog. I've been buying platinums just to have the Live Drive, but have yet to every really use them. I think I'm done with platinums and will take just the card from here on out.

I guess I liked the idea of, "If I need it, I'll have it". I love to play guitar and just figured I'd want to record or something. I've never found something that I needed to do on my PC that my signal processor couldn't already do. Besides, being in an apartment again leaves me with just headphones or the pignose anyway:p

And remotes...well, I have enough of those as it is!

Hey, what makes that a Special Edition gamer card??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

In my opinion a good sound card isn't as important as it used to be. Many games like Doom 3 no longer utilize a sound card at all. Also many high end mobos have pretty good onboard sound check out some of the higher end Asus and Intel boards. Many have 7.1 sound onboard which isn't half bad. Personally I still like a sound card. I have an Audigy Gamer, works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Kingthot wrote:
In my opinion a good sound card isn't as important as it used to be. Many games like Doom 3 no longer utilize a sound card at all. Also many high end mobos have pretty good onboard sound check out some of the higher end Asus and Intel boards. Many have 7.1 sound onboard which isn't half bad. Personally I still like a sound card. I have an Audigy Gamer, works great.

I've seen absolutely no evidence that onboard sound is worth the CPU cycles. I don't understand this mindset all of a sudden. A group of people who will spend $600 on a video card, $200 on a particular case, the time investment of building a machine, modding it, overclocking it...and then saying a dedicated sound card isn't necessary?

For what it's worth, in MY opinion, any game that doesn't utilize the sound card is making a mistake. All of a sudden, we're putting sound processing back on the CPU? Whatever for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:25 am 

Lummoxx wrote:
All of a sudden, we're putting sound processing back on the CPU? Whatever for?
Cost savings, like anything else motivates businesses...? :wink: . Besides, it's not we that are driving it, it's the game designers. I'd much rather have dedicated hardware for sound, but if most new game titles won't support them by next year, what's the point?

I have no idea how much Creative Labs being a virtual monopoly plays into it, but they haven't exactly been a beacon of sunshine and light over the years.

oc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:09 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Chumly wrote:
Not in my opinion. Maybe it has digital outs or something, but I still use analog.

The platinum has optical outs. But I freakin bent the pins on the live drive connector when moving it to my new PC so now I pretty much have the regular ZS. Oh well, at least I just got my $70 rebate in the mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
As for a set of 5.1 speakers in the $100-150 range, your best bet may be the Logitech Z-5300's. We'll see what others have to say, as I haven't owned nor sampled a pair of mid-priced 5.1's.

They are excellent speakers for the price. The Sub is surprisingly large for a semi-budget setup. I'm in an apartment with noise restrictions, and I actually have to dial DOWN the Sub settings. Very good 5.1 sound separation. Only negative...speaker wires are attached. I would prefer using my own, because the rear speakers need to be run on extension cables. That seems to be standard on this kind of budget though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-121&depa=0

As for the card, I don't think you'll find anyone objecting to the Audigy 2. They'll make any speaker setup sound it's best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:08 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I just bought the Z 5300e Speakears. Set them up yesterday but havn't had a chance to do any extensive sound testing but when I listened to them in Best Buy the sounded great. (Didnt buy from there got them from New Egg over $50 cheaper). Only 2 downside that woofer is big and heavy and like Fox said the Speaker wires are built in and are to short they should have been at least 2 foot longer be prepared to buy extension's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:57 am 

Thanks for the reply's. I didnt know the gamer edition was the same as the Audigy 2 ZS, but with a few games. That'll save me some cash. And those were the speakers I was thinking about, I just wasnt sure if they were any good. I've got a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard. I think its got 7.1 support, but i still want a sound card. I didnt spend $1,500 so far just to settle with onboard sound. :D