Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: pc upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey all, I need some opinion on upgrading. Is it a good idea to buy parts one at a time to build a pc down the line? The thing is I don't want to spend a ton load of money one time, thought maybe I could buy the dream parts one at a time to build a monster machine to run the new Windows in 2006. Anybody have a suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:21 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Eh, I would say save up until you can get everything at one time. I seem to find that better than waiting between months to buy everything. Then again, that's just my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:22 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I would not do it unless it is over a very short timespan (2-3 months) Reason by the time you get all of your parts it will be outdated and you will be kicking yourself because you paid a lot more for the parts then if you would have just saved up and bought them at one time. The exception to that, usally, is parts you can make use of now to extend the lifespan of your current system but can be used in your upgrade. IE sound card, video card, hard drives. But with SATA I & II and PCIe coming on the scene I would even hold off on the HD and Video unless it is to replace a failed componet.

Post subject: pc upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well I agree on both counts, considering that technology changes so rapidly. Guess I am gonna start saving money from now on to get my dream machine in 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well i am planning on doing the same thing. I am going to buy the most expensive parts(CPU,Vid Card) last. That way when i do get around to buying them they will be less espensive. Also as i am buying i am going to leave my self open for ugrading/Changes.

Here is my order of buying:
Case
Fans
Sound Card
Opitical Drive
Speakers
HDD
PSU
Mobo
RAM
CPU
Vid Card

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:01 am 

haha acid rain looks like the way im setting my "new" comp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I plan on going to a totally new system early in 2006 but I will wait and buy all the parts at the same time because even cases are changing as seen by the new BTX cases that are starting to show up. Don't forget that the new standards in ATA serial will be coming out to and so will the motherboards and hard drives to support it. When? Well I don't know but I'm holding off till they do.KOMMANDER

Post subject: upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Heh I was looking at some cases the other day and came across the Thermaltake ATX/BTX all aluminium case. looks pretty good though, I don't know if and when BTX will become a standard thing among form factors. I am planning to build a SLI system in 2006 so I kinda have an idea of the parts I need. Just want to see some examples before attempting to source the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:40 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I also say no more than 2 to 3 months to buy the parts- this allows you to price shop & buy locally (or online) with rebates. Be careful buying around Christmas- last year (04) the processor (64 939 3200+) Mobo & case all went up while the Vid card (BFG 6800 OC 128) had a great sale with games & rebates.

Post subject: pc upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yeh I agree, however if one tries to keep up with ever changing technology, man they will ever be so broke!! Honestly I may just wait a few months and see what has arrived, and if prices drop substantially.