Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Good "Budget" CPU for media server use / HD video playback?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

What are some options for a good CPU (either AMD or Intel) for video playback and running Windows Home Server 2011?
(I tried to create a set up with my Atom N330 board, but didn't really think it was fast enough).

Basically, here's my parameters:

* At least a single core 2.5 GHz or faster (Intel or AMD). Would prefer a dual core if cost effective.
* Support for either DDR2 or DDR3 (would prefer DDR3 because I can get it cheaper than DDR2).
* Power efficiency is a must since this machine will be running 24/7
* Low TDP CPU would be better (cooler running) since it will be an always-on system, and I don't want to have to load up on fans.

Cost is a factor, don't really want to spend more than $50 for the CPU. I know it's not much, but I also will have to buy a board and memory. My total I'm willing to spend in the end is $200 (I already have a case, power supply--a 5r00 watt power supply from Antec, and the hard drives and optical drives I need). Also, if anyone has suggestions for motherboards that are not too much, please advise! I don't plan to overclock or play games, so onboard video is fine, as long as it has an HD connector of some sort (DVI or HDMI) and has at least 256MB of video memory available.

Suggestions?? Is Intel better than AMD for this tasks (home server and media playback) or are they about the same?

Post subject: Re: Good "Budget" CPU for media server use / HD video playba
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

AMD A4 Llano 2.5Ghz Dual Core APU + ASRock motherboard combo - $129.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... mbo.762574

Find yourself a cheap 4GB RAM kit and you're good to go for well under $200.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:03 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

What vig1lant3 has put forth is the best all-around deal. I looked for a Intel combo that would come close but no luck. The closest I can get is in the $150 range but the boards for the FM1 sockets give more options.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The combo by "vig1lant3" has no onboard video and since you didn't mention buying or owning a Video Card then i assume you hope one is onboard. In that case i'd highly suggest browsing the combo deals site from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals. ... therboards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 am 

How do you think this motherboard and this Sandy Bridge Celeron would compare to the Llano? Everything I've read about Sandy Bridge Celerons smashes the stigma of the brand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Masterchi wrote:
The combo by "vig1lant3" has no onboard video and since you didn't mention buying or owning a Video Card then i assume you hope one is onboard. In that case i'd highly suggest browsing the combo deals site from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals. ... therboards

The board that was mentioned by vig1lant3 does have video through the APU or onboard GPU in the CPU which is why it is called a Accelerated Processing Unit as opposed to a CPU. Here is some good info that might help.

CompuSmith wrote:
How do you think this motherboard and this Sandy Bridge Celeron would compare to the Llano? Everything I've read about Sandy Bridge Celerons smashes the stigma of the brand.
While not a bad choice at all the APU still is a better choice it gives you more ports at a higher throughput and the onboard GPU is better than the GPU on the Intel counter part. While the Intel might be a better processor the I3 would probably be the next closest competitor at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 am 

Here's a timely article you might want to peruse on the differences between some of the discussed processors.