Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My New/Used System
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:12 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Ok I was planning to upgrade to a new AMD 64 system with the money I get back from the G-Man but while is was waiting due to a series of unfourtunate circustances I ended up with a dual AMD MP system and I just could not force myself to spend the extra dough this year and waste the system I had been given.
here are the system specs
Dual AMD MP 2600
2X 512 ECC Ram (not sure brand)
Tyan Thunder MB
Lite on CD/RW
I will be scavaging the HD from my current system
120gb Seagate
200gb Seagate
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
And of course my Keyboard, Mouse, And Speakers
I will be purchasing
NEC 16x Dual layer DVD/RW
XFX 6600gt agp Video Card
Win XP Pro OEM (using home on my current system)
also thinking about a fan controller and maybe a new set of speakers.

I think this will last me for the next year to 18 months anybody have any opinions they would like to share about how to make it better or changes they would make

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:17 pm 

how about posting the things you'll be doing on the computer?

gaming
vid editing
internet
work
photo editing
etc

If you'll be doing primarily gaming.......then a major vid card upgrade is in order

If you plan on doing any sort of editing and/or running multiple applications at same time you should consider more RAM..........put as much RAM on that mobo as it can handle.......

for some fun.....get the RAMdisk software and convert a portion of your RAM into a RAMdisk.....then run some benchmarks...I strongly recommend RAMdisk for anyone doing any sort of editing ....especially if you're editing projects of about a GB or so in size........saves wear and tear on HDD and you won't believe how much faster the data transfer is....(as fast as electron flow as opposed to being limited by the mechanics of a HDD)...search your old MaxPC mags for an article that described the RAMdisk......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:56 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

It will be mainly a gaming computer. I know the 6800 series would be better but the 6600 is a major upgrade for me. I am using 9600 pro now and I am not going to spend $400 + for a video card I will not be using 12 -18 months from now.I plan for my next system to be PCIe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:26 pm 

not much to say in regard to your dual proc system to tailor it for gaming....
no overclocking of proc as it's a dual proc system......
you can OC the vid card....

considering your long term plans of getting a PCIe system in about a year......here are some questions...
1....will you be keeping the dual proc system once you get the
PCIe system.....iif you are......will the dual proc system become primarily an editing machine with gaming duties going to the PCIe system?

if that is the case....a couple of suggestions
1...don't get a sound card already installed in your PCIe system.....transfer the sound card from your dual proc system and let the dual proc mobo on board sound do for that PC(unless you'll be using that system for major listening)
2....get an external DVD+/- R/RW and have switch so both PC's have access to it as needed.....(assuming both PC's will be physically near each other)....it will keep a bay free...and also cut down a little on temp inside PC......and save cost of having DVD in each PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:13 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

When I upgrade it will be to a new system probably not a dual Proc system unless the dual proc single chips are at reasonable prices by that time. As for the sound card it will probably move to the new system unless there is some big advancement in sound cards (which I dont forsee) by that time. At that time tha dual proc comp will probably become a file server or media pc not sure which, or maybe just a fold@home machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

if gaming is your thing, and you're not doing stff like development or video encoding, go single proc. Games just wont utilize the dual procs yet, and athlon mp/xp has had their day. If you must go dual, skip the athlon mp. They're weak compared to xeons or opterons. Recent price drops place the opteron 240's pretty cheaply. For a good gaming dual mobo, there's the msi master2 far(agp).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:31 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The only reason I am going dual proc and MP is it was given to me. If I was buying a new system it would be a AMD 64 system but as this was given to me I can't justify spending the money on a whole new system when I got this one for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:07 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

chiller2 wrote:
The only reason I am going dual proc and MP is it was given to me. If I was buying a new system it would be a AMD 64 system but as this was given to me I can't justify spending the money on a whole new system when I got this one for free.
Man, you got that for free? Score! Have fun with your Dually. :)