Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help: 2500 for base system
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:56 pm 

I have 2500$ for a new system. This is for case, mobo, CPU fan, memory, graphic card and a fast /small hard disk (for the OS / app installs).

I am recycling a 140G HD for data, my DVD writer (Sony DRU-710A) my 21” screen, printer and all the small stuff (mouse / keyboard, …). Also I will get latter on the speakers (if at all) and a good sound card.

The "small" HD will probably be the WD 740GD Raptor, from MAxPc best list; unless I can afford SCSII, but I would prefer more CPU/Memory.

What I am looking for is raw power for application and web development and testing (C++, DB, PHP, C#); some home video editing burned on DVD. Gaming not a priority, my games are not demanding.

A “must have” for me (I think): ATI All in wonder (I had 3 before). I would go for the “ATI-All In Wonder X800 XT” I see no alternative to the gaming + TV (recording) + DVD playing / editing + video editing features; for the price and single slot of course.

I would like to be ready for 2 display output, but I am not sure of the constraint AGP vs. PCI (I hope to add to my 10 year old 21” in a few months).

I am mainly confused about what mobo type to start with (Dual xeon? Amd 64 fx?) and matching memory to get. Also, so many great / recommended mobos include video card, but I want to select mine. Finally I guess the CPU will be the fastest money left can buy for the found mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 492&depa=1

In terms of compiling and mozilla benching, the amd hammer wins out, so "duh" on that one.

there is only an agp version of the card.

i was in your shoes a while back looking at performance of duals for a while for gaming/developing purposes. i'd go with the dual opteron board from msi - master2 far. It excelled in gaming, and was neck and neck with the thunder in benches. From CPU's test in the mobo mania issue, turns out the tyan tiger dual opteron version was slow in gaming, and entertainment apps - much slower than expected. So if i were going dual now with an agp, i'g go for the msi master2 far. it also comes with 2 copper heatsinks, so you can buy oem cpus to save a bit. 252s are coming around soon. so expect a price drop on the rest.

If you're going opty, go for registered (not necessarily ecc) ddr400 (on the opteron 244 and faster, slower ones use ddr2700). If you're going single chip, 939 or fx, here's a memory timing comparison so you'd know what to expect from memory
mem speed and timing test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:17 am 

I recently was studying solutions for workstations similar to the needs you describe, and the results were unexpected. I found during my research that the Xeon chip can have a lot of speed benefits for workstation use, particularly for some Photoshop and Vegas Video stations. Though the Opteron chips have a better “overall” performance, the Xeons perform a bit better from a “User Experience” standpoint, and do draft renders faster, with the Opterons excelling as distributed rendering stations. Bottom Line: I recommend to try to find benchmarks for the software you intend to use if possible, if not try to find parallels in the benches to what you intend to do. Also, since you seem to have budget for it consider multiple RAID arrays to provide fast VM and swapfiles, and don’t forget that you can offset high CPU prices on dual CPU mobos by waiting a few months to add the second chip. You should have no problem with the dual video our NLE stations run 2 21” Trinitrons@2048x1536, 1 22” LCD@1050x1680 (pivoted using ATI’s included utility) and 1 42” Plasma@1024x768. The two crt and the plasma are all on the AIW card with the LCD on a secondary card. The only issues I’ve encountered are that the monitors had to be physically arranged in a manner the cards liked, they tend to like to rearrange the layout settings, and that some driver updates for individual cards have required software reinstalls for both video adapters.

Post subject: Re: help: 2500 for base system
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:34 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

688Sub wrote:
A “must have” for me (I think): ATI All in wonder (I had 3 before). I would go for the “ATI-All In Wonder X800 XT” I see no alternative to the gaming + TV (recording) + DVD playing / editing + video editing features; for the price and single slot of course.

If you find that you keep buying these, I suggest you invest 100$ in ATI's top-of-the-line tv tuner. You pay for the tuner once, rather than paying for it every time you buy a new card. That money could be put to better use .. say, that SCSII drive you mentioned. ;)

This gives you the added benefit of being able to buy a PCI-e motherboard. Most come with PCI slots (for the tuner) as well as PCI-e, but there aren't many with an AGP slot for your all-in-wonder.

Finally, since gaming is not a priority, you can buy the best tv tuner and combine it with a much less expensive video card.