Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First time build
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:03 am 

albagubrath wrote:
Good morning all,

Long tme lurker, first time poster :D

I want to build a pc, preferably a high end gaming system, as future proof as possible (if that's possible). Please could anyone give recommendations on all components. Looking to spend around $3000.

Thanks in advance

I posted the above in early January http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight= and have not managed to get round to the build/buying (moved house, state etc.). I really appreciated the original advice. A couple of queries though. Does the original advice still apply as I have managed to increase my budget (glad I waited) up to $5K. Plus I have far more time on my hands to sit down over the next few days to draw up a shopping list and order the parts

Again thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:09 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You could spend the $5K, but you can still build a very nice system for $3K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:32 am 
Northwood
Northwood

you can build two killer systems with the budget you have. i recommend checkin out websites like www.newegg.com www.mwave.com www.zipzoomfly.com and www.pricegrabber.com

they are all good and reputable. ive had experiences with newegg and mwave and theyve been great too me. all of my computer parts were shipped on time. the only thing i hate about buying online compared to buying local is that sometimes computer parts come dead and then you need to ship it back again. oh well this happens to all of us.

anywayz, amd leans towards gaming and Intel is geared towards more on multimedia stuff such as ed modeling and video editing. if you are building a gaming rig, either company will be a good choice. for amd stick to the socket 939 processors as they will benefit you more in the long run when it comes time ot upgrade your system.

buy brand name parts and not generic crappy parts. for example, good brands include ocz, crucial, mushkin, kingston, corsair, and patriot. antec, enermax, pcpowercooling, and ocz make very good power supplies. as for videocard, i think the 6800GT is a good videocard and if you decide to get it, get the videocard with the most bundle software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

case

mobo

cpu

ram

2 vidoe caes

hd 1

hd2

dvd burner

keyboard and mouse

lcd

total: 4585.49

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I like Nvidia4Ever's choices, you can obviously save some money if you don't need bleeding edge performance. Also, checking other vendors could save you quite a bit of cash as well.
Don't forget the power supply
If you have questions about vendors, etc, there are plenty of people on the forum who will share their experience
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:57 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Also, stick with the speakers from the first thread. :)