Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BIOS settings
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:31 pm 

Hey All!

I recently purchased a few upgrades and was wondering about BIOS settings as my memory is showing up as 333mhz at boot. Here is my setup:

ASUS A8N-SLI with 1004 BIOS
Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle
1gig of Mushkin DDR400 2.5-3-3
XFX 6800GT PCI-Express 256mb DDR3
Western Digital WD600JB

If someone would take the time to figure out what my settings should be that would be great, it really sux not getting the memory to work at 400mhz!

Sincerely Confusedsoul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

clear your CMOS, then the BIOS should automatically detect your new memory.

Post subject: Thanx big
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply big, but I figured since everything was new, including the motherboard, that it would recognize the memory as 400mhz instead of 333mhz. Shouldn't that be true? I guess I'm just not sure how clearing the CMOS would be any different than putting memory in when the motherboard is first brand new. Thanks again for the reply and I would also like it if people could give me a hint on using ntune, as I have never used it before, thanx!

Confusedsoul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Normally this happens if your memory is not plugged into the correct slots. Try slots one and two or one and three. If it's in one, try the other way around, etc until it says ddr400.

Next, you should go into your BIOS and set your timings to 1T, and CAS latencies to 2-2-2 WITH the exception of your Tras, set it to 10. That mushkin should be able to handle those timings, if not, lax off a bit until your system is stable. Set voltage to auto.

Save and exit.

Post subject: Thanx Thunderbird!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:25 pm 

Hey thanx thunderbird. I will give that a shot when I get back home. I was wondering if that would make a difference, so I will give it a shot. I'll try those timings while I'm at it, thanx!

Confusedsoul

Post subject: Re: Thanx Thunderbird!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

confusedsoul wrote:
Hey thanx thunderbird. I will give that a shot when I get back home. I was wondering if that would make a difference, so I will give it a shot. I'll try those timings while I'm at it, thanx!

Confusedsoul

LOL, the names InstigatorX-thunderbird is my CPU ranking :P

No problem BTW, anytime.

Post subject: Didn't work.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:46 pm 

Ok, here is the deal:

I tried using just one stick, and it came up as 400mhz, but if I use both sticks, it sets itself at 333mhz. No matter which stick I have in there alone it shows 400mhz, but together they show 333mhz. What gives? I have tried setting manual latencies according to the laxest settings that CPU-Z showed under the SPD tab. I just don't get it?! Is anyone having problems with this ram too?

Here is the ram I am using. Yes, I know I went cheap!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 299&depa=1

Please Help!

Confusedsoul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Hey confused. Did you try what I advised?

Normally to get DDR400 speeds you must have your RAM in the correct slots. If not, you won't get the full speed of the RAM.

Open up your motherboard manual and check under the memory configurations. One will probobly say DDR333, one will probobly say DDR400. Just make sure you set it up (normally right next to each other, or in slots one and three) in the correct slots and it should work.

Tell me what your motherboard says about it if it still dosen't work. Either way, it should be DDR400 with both sticks in.

I just thought of this too, what's your voltage set at? Try different voltages also, one should work. If all else fails, you can always set it to "auto" in BIOS. But I would try some different voltages too. Try 2.5v, then if still not working try 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8. I wouldn't go past 2.8 if I were you though.

Anyone else see something I am missing here?

Post subject: Ok
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:16 pm 

Well,

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. Voltages, slots, latencies, the works. I also posted this on Mushkin's forum and I got a message saying they thought it sounded like some bad SPD's. They want to RMA the memory to reflash them. WOOT! Good service right there, I should've done that to begin with, LOL.

Confusedsoul