Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCDs scare me, I'm still a Trinitron kinda guy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:32 pm 

If I WAS to buy an LCD monitor (I'm still a bigger fan of Aperture Grille CRTs) I'm not exactly sure which I care more about, colour acuracy or better fast motion performance.

I don't play games much but when I finally find a simple way to quiet a Geforce 6600GT AGP I might be playing more games,so ghosting could be an issue.

My biggest problem is still with LCDs only looking good at their native resolutions, and what if I don't like that resolution and I want to go lower. It's just not acceptable to me.

Sony doesn't make CRTs anymore and I'm not as impressed with the NEC Diamondtron I'm borrowing at the moment as I was with my old 19" G400 Trinitron so I'm kinda stuck in this new market where the only thing you can find in the 19" range are cheap CRTs or expensive LCDs.

SO: Would a 19" Samsung be better than lets say an LG or a Dell?
If it makes light greys look the same as white (like certain laptops I've used) then I guess I still can't buy an LCD. The difference between very dary grey and black is also important of course.
I guess once you get used to a Trinitron anything else looks bad.

I think I'm gonna go run Display Mate on a borrowed LG LCD and see how it performs. I've never actually used one on my own computer and tested it out with Illustrator, Photoshop, video stuff and Half-Life 2.

I guess I've pretty much answered my own question, LCDs probably still aren't good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:54 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i just bought an LCD, look at my thread here its got everything you need as well as some good recommendations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm rocking the dual 22" NECs (one FE2111SB, one FP1350-1) and I keep saying to myself "I love CRTs" amidst all my friends buying Dell 2001FPs and 2005FPWs and getting tons of dead pixels.

I'll only switch to a flat panel when OLEDs are king. There is just no reason to switch from the gorgeous 22" monitors I have now. Sure, LCDs are lighter, and smaller. But dead pixels? Sure, usually you don't notice them--but when you do, you do.

And seriously, fuck that.

Post subject: Re: LCDs scare me, I'm still a Trinitron kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:09 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

dentaku wrote:
If I WAS to buy an LCD monitor (I'm still a bigger fan of Aperture Grille CRTs) I'm not exactly sure which I care more about, colour acuracy or better fast motion performance.

I just posted here -

Blondie wrote:

On the monitor, have 2 suggestions for you-

SDM-HS95P/B- 19" HS-Series Flat Panel Digital Display, they also make it in silver.

Then there is the SDM-HS94P/S- 19” HS-Series Silver Flat Panel LCD Display.

I saw these at Comp USA, Circuit City & Best Buy- right now there is a $100 rebate on it. I ended up with the 17 inch version of the 2nd suggestion. Go to those stores and check them out. Comp USA had this screen saver going, it had flowers, birds, a shopping scene- wow! I stood there and watched in amazement. If I had the extra cash, 19 inch all the way! You won't be sorry if you purchase any of them. They look like they have glass on them when they don't. Awesome!

The 17 inch was $400 I think- but worth every penny. Go to one of the store and check it out. Unfortunatly, none of them have it on their web sites. Best buy was going to sell me one of the floor models cheaper if there were no new ones in stock.

gramaton cleric wrote:
i just bought an LCD, look at my thread here its got everything you need as well as some good recommendations

I considered the Samsung, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Sony's. Also there is no DVI.

Post subject: what do other graphics people do?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:32 am 

I see people doing graphics work on LCDs all the time but from what I've experienced, you can't trust the colours on an LCD.

How in the world do they do it?

If I lived closer I would go to the store and check this one out, but it's 3hrs away.
http://www.greenlyph.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=882
It could be a good replacement for my G400, which I brought to be fixed recently but have no guarantee that anything can be done.

I'm using aborrowed NEC FE991sb at the moment but if I fix the convergence problems one one side it messes up the other side. PLUS it buzzes and that messes up the whole "quiet computer" thing I have going.

Post subject: Re: what do other graphics people do?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:32 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

dentaku wrote:
I see people doing graphics work on LCDs all the time but from what I've experienced, you can't trust the colours on an LCD.

Please don't close your mind off to the Sony. I really suggest you go look at it at least. It's an awesome monitor- has Xbrite technology, as good as if not better than a CRT. MPC needs to review it.

Link @ Circuit City

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just decided to send back a 3 day old Hundai 8ms 19" that got great reviews on Toms Hardware. No matter how fast the resoponse time I noticed smearing in textures. I kept blinking my eyes cuz it was driving me nuts!!
I guess most people could tolerate it or adjust but I chose going back to my Sony HMD A 400-L. I wont try an LCD again till they get a little more responsive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:39 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

PaulZo wrote:
Just decided to send back a 3 day old Hundai 8ms 19" that got great reviews on Toms Hardware. No matter how fast the resoponse time I noticed smearing in textures. I kept blinking my eyes cuz it was driving me nuts!!
I guess most people could tolerate it or adjust but I chose going back to my Sony HMD A 400-L. I wont try an LCD again till they get a little more responsive.

Paul, go check out that Sony. It is really awesome. I wanted to run the displaymate on it, but they charge for it.

:idea: Hmm, wonder if I can get Tom McDonald to come over here & test it. He lives in the Pines like me.