Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buying/building advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm 

Hello all,

I was hoping you would be able to help me choose the best components available to me within my budget for a decent gaming rig.

My budget $950 to $1,050 in US dollars (that is according to an online currency calculator, I'm dealing with british pounds)
My aim would be to run games such as Empire Total War and Battlefield 3 in high settings or better at a comfortable FPS. I'd also like to be able to have a future proof rig that I can update to eventually run the latest games on max settings.

I do not need to buy a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc. I can also recycle my hard drives from my previous computer.

I've been looking around in some online stores, but my lack of expertice prevents me from knowing if I'm in the right ballpark or not.

For instance- https://www.arbico.co.uk/product_custom ... pid=100020

Using that basic setup, I've selected a few upgrades:

For the processor I've selected an Intel i7 960 Quad Core
For the video card I've selected the Nvidia GT430 1GB
And a power supply of 800 watts.

The default motherboard that is included is an Asus P6t-SE, ATX
The default case is a CIT 1008
It says "standard heatsink and CPU fan included"

Windows 7 is included.

The overall price is £754, which translates into $1,117, That's just over the edge of my budget.
Is this worth it? Would all components work with each other? Will the cooling system be adequate?
I'm assuming the GPU will need to be upgraded. Is it practical to upgrade the video card later on, when I can afford it, or would it be easier to start with a higher end GPU and upgrade the processor later on instead?
Is the motherboard going to provide me with enough upgrade options for the future?

An alternative I am considering is this:
http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/enfo ... p-147.html

It costs roughly the same as my previous option, but the processor is an Intel i5 2500k and it comes with 2gb less of RAM. However the GPU is a much better (I'm assuming) Nvidia GTX 560 t1 1GB.
The motherboard is an Asus P8P6T REV3.0
An operating system is not included, but it comes with 3 years of warranty.
The benefits I can see from this rig is that I'm guaranteed all components will be fully compatible, that cooling and stability will not be a problem, and of course that it will run Battlefield 3 without a problem.

Is this a better deal? Would it be cheaper to upgrade the i5 processor to an i7 later on in life? Is an i7 quad core even that important?

Any help at all is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Buying/building advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:48 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Are you planning on it being built for you or doing the building your self? By the looks of it you would be letting someone build it for you.
To give you a idea of what to grab I would say either a i5-2500K or on the lower budget end a AMD 955, 965.
For a GPU a GTX 560Ti or AMD HD 6950 both should be comparable in performance and price.
PSU - depending on the road you want to travel i.e. SLI/Xfire or not. A 750-850 for SLI/xfire or a 650W for non SLI/Xfire. the brands to grab would be Corsair, Seasonic, some OCZ, and PC Power and Cooling.
MB- would be between Asus and Gigabyte.
RAM-most 1.5V RAM is good usually Corsair or G.skill there are other companies that are good but most people go with these two.
The case is really up to you tho you should be able to get a good case for no more than £60-£87 I know that the selection isn't great but there are options.

Post subject: Re: Buying/building advice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 am 

Thanks for the reply.
I've decided to go with the BF3 build. I did consider buying each component seperately and building it myself, but the amount of money I would be saving wouldn't justify sacrificing the 3 year warranty.