Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: $4000 to spend - help me out
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:40 pm 

Ok, I saved up a CRAP load of cash and will be buying a computer soon.

Here's what I want:

- That fastest mf'ing CPU with the best cooling and performance

- The most efficient RAM available

- The best Mobo with great upgrade options. I want to but more RAM with every paycheck up to like 100 gigs. (ok maybe 12)

- CRT or LCD monitor? I want the best imgae quality, spcae not an issue. I work with Graphics. Gamin, 3d rendering.

- Best sound and GFX cards currently available.

MOST importanly I just want futre upgrades to be easy and doable.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This is a toughy, are you willing to watercool? If so thats the best cooling option.

With the event of PCIe many new systems/cards will begin being using that bus exclusively, so while buying an Audigy 2 might be the best soundcard, I don't think Creative Labs has released a PCIe version yet.

If you get a big screen I believe you'd want a CRT as the best LCD's are all pretty small (Don't think you can get a 19 inch LCD with a 12 ms response time yet).

For the best CPU I'd go with the Athlon FX-55, simply because I'm biased to AMD that way ;) Not sure if the latest and greatest Intel procs can beat it in everything but I'm doubtful. For games AMD is still the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:02 pm 

urmumsacow wrote:
This is a toughy, are you willing to watercool? If so thats the best cooling option.

With the event of PCIe many new systems/cards will begin being using that bus exclusively, so while buying an Audigy 2 might be the best soundcard, I don't think Creative Labs has released a PCIe version yet.

If you get a big screen I believe you'd want a CRT as the best LCD's are all pretty small (Don't think you can get a 19 inch LCD with a 12 ms response time yet).

For the best CPU I'd go with the Athlon FX-55, simply because I'm biased to AMD that way ;) Not sure if the latest and greatest Intel procs can beat it in everything but I'm doubtful. For games AMD is still the way to go.

When you say "willing" to watercool, what do you mean? Makes it sound like there is a catch lol!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
if u wanna upgrade it may be better to wait until dualcore comes out for AMD and Intel. Intels going to have the first dualcore non workstation. AMDs i heard i think is Q1 2006...guess though. but it will be more upgradeable to wait. ull have a FX-55 now but people in a little bit will have dual 2.6s on you and youll be behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well there is always the risk of a leak, and I think that even with the most aggressive treatment plan you'd have to remember to drain the system or add more chemicals every few months, so if you were to forget... things could start growing in there and mess up your system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:10 pm 

March4Revenge wrote:
When you say "willing" to watercool, what do you mean? Makes it sound like there is a catch lol!

There's a BIG catch if it springs a leak in your system!!!

-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:21 pm 

Ahhh yeah got it about the Watercooling thing - water&electonics = BAAAAD!

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:24 pm 

DrSatan wrote:
if u wanna upgrade it may be better to wait until dualcore comes out for AMD and Intel. Intels going to have the first dualcore non workstation. AMDs i heard i think is Q1 2006...guess though. but it will be more upgradeable to wait. ull have a FX-55 now but people in a little bit will have dual 2.6s on you and youll be behind

Ok, but:

What exactly is dualcore?

Is it better than having dual processors and how so?

What will it take to upgrade to dualcore system when it comes out? Just the motherboard?

Thank you,
M4R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Dual cores is just like having two processors, it might even be a bit better if each core has the same dedicated cache and a fast interconnect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:52 pm 

urmumsacow wrote:
Dual cores is just like having two processors, it might even be a bit better if each core has the same dedicated cache and a fast interconnect.

In this article it says that in addition to being pricey the dual core will, at first, run slower than the fastet processor out there.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1166/

I would probably just get a dual processor system. Why not? I could always upgrade to dual core when they work the bugs out and drop the prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:35 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

i hate you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

dunn2953 wrote:
i hate you

:? Who? Wha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:16 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

what ever you get base it on this

A) http://tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

B) then stick in 2 opteron 252s or wait for dual core opterons and get 2 of those for a total of 4 CPUs and have 2 GeForce 6800 ultras in sli.

C) NEW SOUND CARD ALERT Audigy 4 pro is out, its actually a improved audigy 2.

D) what ever the best 7.1 speakers are right now.

A+B+C+D= :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Why spend all 4000 now? That's overkill to the extreme. Spend a little under 3 g's and save the other thousand for upgrades in 6 months to a year. You probably can even hold that thousand for longer than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:16 pm 

urmumsacow wrote:

Actually, large low response time LCDs have been out for a while. I've had the Dell 20" widescreen model w/ 12ms since December, and still cannot believe my eyes.

The new Dell 24" widescreen model (1920x1200 & 12ms) will be out soon, check out review here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 466,00.asp

Should be available for < $1000 after rebates/coupons when it comes out.

GL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:46 pm 

I agree with not spending the total 4 grand on a computer system unless you just got money to burn. It will only be the fastest thing around for probably 6 months. Keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to hardware is futile and wasteful. Go buy a high-def TV or something with the other 1K. Actually I can think of a number of things you could do with a thousand dollars. So jealous. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

dunn2953 wrote:
what ever you get base it on this
C) NEW SOUND CARD ALERT Audigy 4 pro is out, its actually a improved audigy 2.

DAMNET DAMNET DAMNET!
I just purchased an Audigy 2 ZS Gamers Ltd Edition from NewEgg, coming here.. well, within the next 12 hours. Grr... can't keep up with technology anymore, can I? I thought the Audigy 2 was as good as it could get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:03 am 

I doubt you would notice any difference in sound quality. No, you can't keep up. Don't let the hype convince you into throwing your money away on the best thing out there. Anyone remember all those older technologies that Maximum PC convinced us we "must have". The first TNT cards and the first Direct X cards with pixel shaders come to mind. The fact is benchmarks are only worthy of bragging rights. The average PC user will not notice any difference. A few more frames per second looks much better on paper than it does in real-life. I bet some of the Maximum PC employees don't even upgrade thier own PCs as often as the hardcore enthusiasts. Just saying this, save your money for something more useful and fufilling than those first few weeks when your computer is the fastest thing running. On the other hand, if you don't have a family to support or make well into the triple-digits, by all means spend away. I know I would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:11 am 

read MaxPC.......PCI cards are accepted into the PCI-E format
....I believe in the 1x slot
PCI-E to have a number of slots....1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and rumors of 32x.

for greatest flexibility from a longterm custom PC maker with solid reputation with decent prices........check out GamePC... at http://www.gamepc.com/

I've bought systems from them before and am very happy.....no glitches in product, great support.....with real wide selection of each part that goes into your PC....such as a choice from over 80 cases for a system from a number of different brands

the things they don't do are water oo other liquid cooled systems or overclocking.......

but they do have a very wide range of motherboards,vid cards including many that are overclockable....and you can probably add a liquid cooling system yourself

before going into configurations how about listing your planned uses for your system

Post subject: Re: $4000 to spend - help me out
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:38 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

March4Revenge wrote:
- CRT or LCD monitor? I want the best imgae quality, spcae not an issue. I work with Graphics. Gamin, 3d rendering.

On the monitor, have 2 suggestions for you-

SDM-HS95P/B- 19" HS-Series Flat Panel Digital Display, they also make it in silver.

Then there is the SDM-HS94P/S- 19” HS-Series Silver Flat Panel LCD Display.

I saw these at Comp USA, Circuit City & Best Buy- right now there is a $100 rebate on it. I ended up with the 17 inch version of the 2nd suggestion. Go to those stores and check them out. Comp USA had this screen saver going, it had flowers, birds, a shopping scene- wow! I stood there and watched in amazement. If I had the extra cash, 19 inch all the way! You won't be sorry if you purchase any of them. They look like they have glass on them when they don't. Awesome!

US_Ranger wrote:
Why spend all 4000 now? That's overkill to the extreme. Spend a little under 3 g's and save the other thousand for upgrades in 6 months to a year. You probably can even hold that thousand for longer than that.

I agree, I think the $3,000 would include a 19 inch monitor.