Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Some advice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:41 pm 

Hey guys and gals...promark51 here. I am thinking on upgrading my computer and have three distinct questions. Before I give the 3 questions, you should know that this computer will be used primarily for gaming (FPS, RPG, what have you):

1. I have researched this time and time again and know the advants and disadvants of both manufacturers...but for a gaming puter should I stick with an Athlon or Pentium? I have heard that AMD is the processor for gaming, while Pentium is more apt for applications...but then again it depends on the game, app, and many other factors.

2. Can anyone recommend a good mobo. I'd like all the goodies: dual bios, SATA, DDR2, PCI Express, pleny of USB, good tech support. I currently have a Gigabyte 8IPE1000 pro and have had no major problems with it other than a burnt out bios fan. But, I want to keep my options open.

3. In regards to PCI-Express: I want a mobo that will tide me over for a while that is, have most of the latest technology and technology that is just flourishing. But, I currently have an AGP vid card (5950 Ultra). Will I still be able to use this card in a PCI-Express type mobo? That is, will a pci express mobo have and AGP slot on it?

Well thanks for reading and sorry for the length....looking forward to some replies.

Promark51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:06 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

1. AMD is indeed better for gaming
2. Not sure if anyone has dual BIOS other than Gigabyte. I've heard good things about their new nforce4 ultra/sli boards though. You definitely want to check out DFI and MSI nforce4 boards as well. I have the MSI and it's great. Not sure if you want SLI or not. I don't, so I went with the ultra.
3. No, you won't be able to use your old card with an nforce4 motherboard. Just have to get a new one. 6600gt for under $200 bucks is pretty cheap, and it's faster than the fx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hmm......i suddenly forgot in my head but i dont think amd has step up to the plate yet with DDR2. i think motherboards that support amd are still using DDR1.

amd processors are kick ass in peformance and stability and they are certainly great for gaming. i recommend getting the Asus AN-SLI mobo. i dont have this particular mobo but i know that performance is great. also check out the Abit AN8 mobo, which has awesome performance too.

a good videocard to get would be the 6800GT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:43 am 

Alright thanks guys....I appreciate the responses. I believe your right keymaker, AMD isnt planning on supporting DDR2 until 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:14 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

1) Six and one half dozen of the other, as the saying goes. On any modern system, the video card plays the crucial role in gaming performance. While AMD holds the edge in that department, it's overblown.

2) As mentioned, with the excepetion of Gigabyte you'll be hard pressed to find a compelling dual-BIOS mobo. Looking at each camp, here are some top choices:

AMD
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
DFI nF4 Ultra-D

Intel
Asus P5AD2-E Premium
Abit AA8XE

3) No, an AGP card will not work in a PCI-E mobo. There are hybrids out there that have incorporated both, but AGP performance takes a tremendous hit. It's not worth looking into.

As you've found out, AMD does not use DDR2. However, this is not a knock against them. While they could release a mobo that makes use of it, you wouldn't see any performance benefit on what's currently available.

Generally speaking, I favor AMD's solutions right now. Socket 939 will be around for awhile, PCI-E is available, SLI is an option, and most importantly they hold the price/performance ratio. If you have some time, read over this thread - LINK. There's quite a bit of info in there for anyone currently looking to build and weighing their options.

Last edited by One4yu2c on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

i dont think sli is absolutely necessary. If you're not planning to go for a dual videocard solution, you can always just go for a nf4 ultra board. If cost matters, there's chaintech, and believe it or not, ecs has quite a nice board out there. For $100 an nf4 ultra board is on par with last season's 939 nf3 boards pricewise. Also, a 6600GT is more than enough power for today's games (and most of tomorrows). and can be had for about $180 in pci-e flavour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:24 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Beomagi wrote:
i dont think sli is absolutely necessary.

I'd have to agree, which is why I included the DFI above (currently the front runner in my own build). If all the "goodies" don't remain a requirment, I'd replace MSI's above with their non-SLI nF4 mobo. As for the Asus, they don't have a non-SLI available, and it'd be a sin to leave the A8N-SLI off of any enthusiast's list of considerations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:30 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

One4yu2c wrote:

Check link.

Btw, for anyone who's interested in it, the DFI is cheaper at ZZF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:50 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

well, both hardocp and [urlhttp://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337]anandtech[/url] have reviews of the DFI sli board, with the anandtech review also tralking about the ultra-d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:03 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

One4yu2c wrote:
3) No, an AGP card will not work in a PCI-E mobo. There are hybrids out there that have incorporated both, but AGP performance takes a tremendous hit. It's not worth looking into.

Just to add to that:
Every manufacturer that I've read up on that offer those hybrids don't recommend using the AGP slot for long as it can damage the video card and/or the Motherboard. Something about voltages incorrect, since it the board was meant for PCI-E, not AGP. It's basically meant as a temporary solution, 'till your new PCI-E card shows up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:25 pm 

Thanks for the info guys....you have all been extremely helpful in me making a decision.

The only thing that is stopping me from going PCI/SLI is my current video card. Its the PNY VERTO GeForce FX 5950 Ultra which cost me about 500 US. Its still a great card and I get great results with it.

Not to get into a vid card debate but Hairpuller said that the 6600GT is faster than my 5950 FX card...is this possible? After looking at my specs, the 5950 has a mem bandwidth of 30.4GB/sec whereas the 6600GT has a mem bandwidth of 16GB/sec. I guess I am not really sure on how to compare different cards and how to tell which is better than the other. I would assum that mem bandwidth, core clock, and additional features all play a major role.....but what "spec" determines if a card is "faster" than another?

This is another assumption, but probably incorrect: I can see how my 5950 card would be inferior to an SLI setup incorporating two 6600GT's....I would assume then the the bandwidth doubles to 16GB/sec X 2 = 32GB/sec....is this a correct assumption?

Once again, thx for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:57 am 

Any thoughts?