Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Feedback On A Homebuilt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi all, I am a new member. I don't want to start another thread but I just want to give my thanks for Max PC and all of you for this site. I found it about a week ago and have been studying the posts and learning alot.
Also I stopped buying the mad several years ago but 1 month ago got the Feb issue and now I'm hooked.

So anyway after reading alot of the posts I have decided to make my own computer, I currently just have a dell p500 w/win 98 since purchasing in 98 and I want to upgrade to get new games, photoshop and p2p and backup my dvds. I just ordered the Max PC book and from this forum I will give it a go. Just alittle worried I don't blow my money on this and not get it to run.

Ok, I need some feedback on what I decided to do. I just ordered and received a dell 4700, p2.8 w 1 x16 pci express and 2 pci and 1 pci express x1, 512k dual ram, 80 gig hard, dvd 16X +- recorder,integrated video and 5.1 sound ,winxp home free shipping for $670, don't know the brands on the components but I am sure they are generic quality. I received it last week and I know the quality and the customer service has gone downhill for dell(they were great in 98) and they are outsourcing our jobs(which bugs the shit out of me). I tried 3 days ago to get customer service for over an hour with a question and finally got someone I couldn't understand so I just hung up. I wanted to find out how to get the integrated video turned off(bios or jumper?) so I could install an old appian pci dual monitor card .

Here's my problem , I have till Friday to send the new dell back and get my money refunded which I can apply to my new home built......

What would you guys do?? I can still use my 98 and then use the money to build step by step

or would you keep and use the new dell while I build my computer( it seems like a waste of good money to do it that way)....any feed back would be appreciated......

Also I see today at Newegg a sale on this p4 3

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 171&DEPA=0

is this a good price??

and this

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 151&DEPA=0

is this a good price??
the sale lasts till tomorrow, so if I bought these there is no going back and I think I will have a good start to my home built
I figure I will keep hitting the sales at Newegg, it should save me some money

So at any rate, any comments will be welcome and thaks again to all for the info I have gathered at this forum
take it easy
jk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:56 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Woha slow down there buddy.

1st return the Dell, and tag them down to get your credit.

Now whats your skill level/budget? That Info will help.

What sepcific games do you want to play/ your budget will also play a role in this.

Might want to go with an AMD rig, finding the right parts takes a good amount of time/ building the actual PC takes A weekend at most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

damm. that was quick :D

1st return the Dell, and tag them down to get your credit.
yeah, i got that, i've been seeing some people having a hard time getting their refunds, the only thing is I only have tillthurs or friday at the latest to get the return in

Now whats your skill level/budget? That Info will help.

not anywhere near the majority of you guys on the forum, but i'm a fast learner also have been around computers since the mac classic.....but never have messed around inside except for installing video cards, cable and dsl, replacing a fan, etc.....minor stuff
my budget is not over a 1000 so it will have to be on a small budget level(in other words best bang for buck pc, not high end gaming rig)

games are mostly 1 person shooters and want this primarily for browsing, photoshop, graphics, backs of my dvd's, some p2p when i need to(songs ect) and i also need 2 free pci slots for my dual monitor cards(need a total of 4 monitors for my real time finance feeds and trading(not really intensive, my 98 does the trading platforms just fine)..
does this help out any??

I guess the thing I am worried about most is putting everything together and it not running, which i guess in a worst case scenerio, if that happens i can still order another dell and suck up about the customer support....most of my worries are mostly e gone since getting the mag and finding this site....really a wealth of great info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:53 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

haha, ya that is a wost nightmare..have it all assembeled and won't boot up...*shudders*

Also it does'nt take a rocket scientist to put a PC together I think you will do just fine.

Now from what you said.

$1000 MAX budget :)

1 dual format DVD burner...for you ripped DVD's :wink:

1 DVD rom.. so you don't wear out your high end dvd burner

PCI Express Mid range grapics card...??
(AGP is on the way out)

AMD Proc or Intel really does't matter if not overclocking

1 Gig of ram...Can never have enough of this stuff

2 HD's in raid set up (maybe)

decent PSU..Antec Neo power

case..what ever you like

XP PRO....pro is more safe and secure

Keyboard/moniter/speakers/Artice 5 thermal paste

its a tall order but, it Sounds like it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

yo man thanks for the reply......I just keep learning useful stuff here :D

1 dual format DVD burner...for you ripped DVD's
1 DVD rom.. so you don't wear out your high end dvd burner
hadn't thought about that, but the dvdrom's are cheap enough to getr and save the burner=more copies :D also the NEC burner recommed at the mad loos nice(or the panisonic)

PCI Express Mid range grapics card...??
(AGP is on the way out)
got you, i have the pci express card narrowed down, has dvi out dual montior and will be a big, big upgrade from what i have now

AMD Proc or Intel really does't matter if not overclocking
still haven't decided, just thought the p4 because of the sale ar newegg

have the 2 hd picked out, 1 western 80 gig for the computer and 1 200 gig for external

on the psu will look at the Antec Neo tonight

I have the rest .....4 samsung 191's, logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and I will get the Artic 5(read about it earlier on this forum)..........so i am going to call dell tomorrow and get it back, i was just looking at the inside of the case.....all MADE IN CHINA.......this is just wrong :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

edit : couldnt get link to work sorry

Last edited by Nvidia4Ever on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:29 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Linky no worky....

Ya I reallly haven't looked at the budget factor yet...

Last edited by yo_man_will@hotmail.com on Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

NEC 3520a DVD Burner - $65ish
nforce4 ultra motherboard - msi, dfi both looking good. the dfi is only $148 @ zipzoomfly
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ $149 @ zipzoomfly
nvidia 6600gt pci express - Many choices, ~$190
RAM - 1 gb pc3200 corsair/mushkin value w/ 2.5 cas latency ~$130 at newegg
1 SATA HD, 120gb? - dependent on how much capacity you need ~$80
Case, probably an antec solution series would be fine
Windows XP Home - OEM ~$90
Keyboard/Mouse/speakers - whatever you prefer, not sure what you want to spend here on speakers
Monitor - Sounds like you already have 4?

That will give you a push in the right direction. Under $900, so there's room for keyboard/mouse/speakers still. You definitely don't need RAID. I've never bothered getting dual ROMs myself as I don't need to do disc to disc direct copying, nor have I ever had any burn out. Good luck with the build. I just built my first one, and it wasn't bad.
edit: i see now that you have the keyboard and mouse too. I'd put some extra money into a better power supply like that neopower you were looking at or something like that (maybe a bit cheaper though). If you want to do w/ the extra dvd player that's fine. I just think it's a pain with more wires and clutter but that's my own opinion. I like things as neat as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hairpuller, thanks foe the ideas.......

i think going with the nforce motherboard and amd is starting to look lilke the way to go, plus i can get away from intell....
also just googled nvidia 6600gt pcie....great card and good price...the graphics demos at the website awsome compared to what i have now, also like nvidia as a company
also i have 4 monitors keyboards mouse and 5.1 speaker system so i am saving on the speakers

also looking at the neopower, that's on my list....

this is starting to be fun :D
appreciate the suggestions all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

anyone help with this??

i was looking at this nforce motherboard and the reveiw said the following...

Additionally, support for four SATA II ports, two FireWire ports, eight USB 2.0 ports, gigabit LAN and 7.1 sound helps make this board worth $130. We can't forget about the NVIDIA Firewall either. ZoneAlarm users should feel comfortable replacing ZA with this highly capable firewall. Just like ZA, the NVIDIA Firewall asks you if you want to grant access to programs that are trying to get out to the Internet or come in from the Internet. The Network Access Manager is a cool, local web site that gives you the power to administer and manage your firewall. The on-chip firewall definitely adds value to the nForce4 Ultra package.

does this mean that the amd chip has an onboard firewall built in and that i can get rid of my zonealarm and use the onboard chip with router for protection? pentium doesn't have this does it?? also this board has plenty of options so it look nice and a great price