Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zalman or Thermaltake CPU heatsink
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:43 pm 

Hey guys. I'm planning on purchasing an AMD 64 3800+ or the 4000+. I would like to get your input on whether or not to use the stock CPU fan or if I should buy an aftermarket one. I was thinking the Thermaltake Venus silent boost K8 or the zalman CNPS7000B-CU. Noise is a factor here and I do not plan on overclocking my CPU. Thanks!
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370488
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373034

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:49 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

If you're not overclocking, there's really no reason to stray from the stock heatsink/fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:03 pm 

Well, I understand that. But I'm trying to limit the amount of noise coming from the CPU cooler. That's why I was looking for an aftermarket cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:05 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I would recommend trying the stock first and seeing if you find it tolerable. If not, I'm very pleased with Zalman's noise/performance ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:10 pm 

well, I've heard that trying the stock fan, which has a pad on it that melts to form the connection between the CPU and the heatsink is a pain in the butt to get off when you try to install an aftermarket CPU cooler. Is that correct? And does it dull the effect of using arctic silver 5 afterwards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:57 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I would highly advise going with Arctic Silver 5 regardless of whether a stock or aftermarket HSF is used. Removing the thermal pad is much easier when it's new than when it's used.

Use a credit card, library card, or similar piece of non abrasive material to scrape off the pad. Following that, use isopropyl rubbing alcohol (>90%) and q-tips to clean the surface, alternating wet and dry tips. Repeat until no more gunk is being picked up. On an unused pad, this won't take very long at all.

Worse comes to worse however, I have removed used pads in favor of AS5 in the same manner above. It just takes a bit longer to clean off the gunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:22 pm 

Thank you for the advice. I never thought of just scraping off the pad in the first place. I think that is what I will do. Also, where do you find the >90% isopropyl from? I've looked in grocery stores with no luck. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:48 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I find 91% everywhere. Try a drug store, walmart, whatever. I don't find higher than that often though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:31 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Meijers (which is a midwest Wal-Mart equivalent), Wal-mart, basically any drug store as mentioned in the above post. You could also look for alcohol pads.

If you simpy can't find it, you'll be fine with a more diluted solution. If going that route however, be sure that it dries thoroughly before applying the paste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

One4yu2c wrote:
Meijers (which is a midwest Wal-Mart equivalent), Wal-mart, basically any drug store as mentioned in the above post. You could also look for alcohol pads.

If you simpy can't find it, you'll be fine with a more diluted solution. If going that route however, be sure that it dries thoroughly before applying the paste.
its Meijer, there is no s at the end :twisted: and yes, you can find 99% isopropyl pretty much anywhere pharmaceuticals are sold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:49 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

athlon11 wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

its Meijer, there is no s at the end :twisted: and yes, you can find 99% isopropyl pretty much anywhere pharmaceuticals are sold

The word it's should have the i capitalized since that is the start of your sentence. Furthermore, there should be an apostrophe when using the contraction of it is to it's. Finally, sentences should end with some sort of punctuation. In the above quoted example, the obvious choice would be a period, although a case could be made for using an exclamation mark. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

The word it's should have the i capitalized since that is the start of your sentence. Furthermore, there should be an apostrophe when using the contraction of it is to it's. Finally, sentences should end with some sort of punctuation. In the above quoted example, the obvious choice would be a period, although a case could be made for using an exclamation mark. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Zinger!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LMAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:26 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

if you're looking for a high end air cooler which you can get great cooling with a low noise panaflow fan, i'll advise an xp-90 or xp-120 from thermalright. do some searches and check out reviews, those 2 rule the air cooling roost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

While the XP series is no doubt good, I don't have any complaints about my Silent Boost K8 either. Installation is a snap and the temps aren't bad at all. I have the Winchester core 3500+ and the Thermaltake cooler keeps it at around 34c idle, getting as high as 45 while gaming for long periods of time. To me, that's acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
If you're not overclocking, there's really no reason to stray from the stock heatsink/fan.

That Zalman fan is definitely quiet. I've installed it on two Winchester's already, and they run at about 32c idle and 40c load. My fans run at about 2000 - 2300rpm. I left out the fan controller that comes with it and it's super quiet at full speed. Truthfully, I have never even tried the stock fan. I always get the retail boxed processors because of the 3 year warranty, but always dismissed the fan.