Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:16 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Well considering that if your PSU goes belly up it could hose your CPU Mobo and ram (like it did mine) I think the extra $110.00 is cheap at twice the price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:52 am 
Team Member
Team Member

chiller2 wrote:
Well considering that if your PSU goes belly up it could hose your CPU Mobo and ram (like it did mine) I think the extra $110.00 is cheap at twice the price

As far as I know, there's no statistic showing that PCP&C PSUs die any less frequently than Enermax PSUs.

That said, if the Enermax goes belly up, you're probably out your entire system. If your PCP&C goes belly up, you're probably out your entire system + $110.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:16 pm 

When I go with two cards I'll be upgrading my psu. With my luck they will come out with a card that is equal to my two. LOL!! I dont plan on running two cards for a while though. I like the 510 Deluxe but would probably go with the antec. I'm no expert, But I do think you end up paying for the name on a lot of products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm personally wondering, bigjim, why you have just one hard drive. It seems with that system you could easily go 2 and have one drive for media and one for programs. Then again, you could always partition the 300GB drive, but I'm still curious.

I would also personally suggest getting rid of the Windows Page File ([windows key + pause/break] -> Advance -> Settings under "Performance" -> Advance -> Change -> "No Page File") as your Hard Drive is at least 20-50 times slower than your RAM. It depends on what you do with your system, but I've personally overloaded 2GB only about 3 times, but I do more than just games. Windows does a bad job at memory allocation, let alone page file management, so drop it if you can.

Also, as MPC has said, go to your "Recycle Bin" and drag it from "10%" to "1%" that will save you about 27GBs.

Arquero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:41 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Overall, I agree. There are other brands that are just as good if not better.
However:
Thug Esquire wrote:
I mean, if you're seriously worried about an Enermax dying, you can always just buy a second one in the off-chance that something goes wrong and you'll still be $10 richer than the guy who bought the PCP&C.
That second PSU won't do you any good if the first one takes out the rest of the system.

Quote:
I've never seen a bad review for Enermax.
I have and I've had a couple die on me. But I've also had just about every PSU brand under the sun die. When you've worked on enough machines, you eventually see a bad apple from any mfg.
I've also seen couple of people one of which is a mod here, say that their PCP&C PSU catch fire/start smoking.

Quote:
Once you've bought one it's really easy to make up reasons to justify spending twice as much as you could have. Just like with an iPod. I bought an iPod, and now I'd rather have one of the Dell DJs.

True.
All I hear about is how great the ipod is from the media. Lately, I've been seeing people on the forums complaining that their ipod crashes. I recently bought a used iRiver from another forum member and have yet to experience any crashes. Costs less than an ipod too. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:18 pm 

I've seen and read really good things about the Antec Neo Power and it should be plenty for my single card setup. Like I said , I wasnt able to spend as much as I planned so I had to juggle around what my list of goodies were going to be. I figured one good big HD would suffice and then load up every where else. Im also not sure what you are talking about when you refer to windows page files, etc. If only my suburban had not crapped out on me!! LOL!! I could spent the rest of it on my new pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

how abt giving it to me? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:14 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I can't wait until SATA floppy drives hit the markets... Thats gonna be amazing... 8)

Oh, nice rig man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:14 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Sighs, ya great system.

*proceeds to hit his with a hammer, run word dam it*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

bigjim wrote:
I've seen and read really good things about the Antec Neo Power and it should be plenty for my single card setup. Like I said , I wasnt able to spend as much as I planned so I had to juggle around what my list of goodies were going to be. I figured one good big HD would suffice and then load up every where else. Im also not sure what you are talking about when you refer to windows page files, etc. If only my suburban had not crapped out on me!! LOL!! I could spent the rest of it on my new pc.

The Windows Page File is space on your HD(s) where windows puts your "Virtual Memory". When the programs loaded need more RAM than is phisically available, Windows puts whatever it deems "not used" onto the Hard Drive in that "Virtual Memory" area. But Windows does a bad job of this and it just can't read your mind, so when you switch between programs, Windows has to take data from the "Virtual Memory" and put it on the physical memory (RAM) and move data from Physical memory back to the Hard Drive's "Virtual Memory". Alot of times Windows tends to favor the "Virtual Memory" over the physical memory making everything slower. That's why I say get enough RAM to get rid of this "Virtual Memory" on the Hard Drive.

Arquero