Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Are these good parts?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
Author Message
 Post subject: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:50 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Posts: 4
So I was inspired by a friend to build my own computer, and after finding out what parts he used, and what parts another friend used, I was wondering if this was a complete and good list of cheap but efficient parts. Please, I need help!

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 $49.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $94.99
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $19.99
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $59.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $74.99
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $134.99
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified $89.99
PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-M2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX $189.99
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $119.99


Total: $834.91

Case: RAIDMAX Quantum ATX_798WB Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case was $79.99, now at $54.99

(All parts are going to be coming from www.newegg.com)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 153
I said yes, but just note, for about $40 extra you can get a lot more GPU performance by stepping up to a 560Ti.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:51 pm
Posts: 844
ouch the hyper212+ is expensive from newegg

i got mine @ fry's (on sale) for $19.99

if you where willing to order from multiple sites the hyper 212+ is $26.99 at mwave..

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.as ... tel%20Core


if it was me and i wanted to order everything from newegg i might consider a different cooler based on the relatively high price for the hyper 212+ there


for example..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233082



i have and really like a Samsung F3 1TB hard drive in my rig...it is quiet and FAST (for a mechanical drive)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152185


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:38 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Posts: 4
I am really trying to keep the parts to newegg. Another question I should have asked was if these parts could handle a game design engine? I am just really trying to keep this computer cheap but effective and efficient.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:54 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:39 am
Posts: 88
C14pTr4P wrote:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 $49.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $94.99
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $19.99
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $59.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $74.99
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $134.99
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified $89.99
PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-M2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX $189.99
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $119.99
Case: RAIDMAX Quantum ATX_798WB Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case was $79.99, now at $54.99


How about this HDD, its cheaper and has more space.

Those RAM sticks were on sale for 59.99 just yesterday, to bad you didnt buy them then. I saw a really good deal on 2X2gb sticks, they were PNY (Im not sure if thats a good brand), and they are like $25 after rebate. Personally Id look around for a better deal on 2X4gbs.

You dont need 750W on that system. If you are sure you want 750 though, heres an Antec PSU for $70 after rebate. Its a daily deal so you would have to buy today. Newegg recommends your system get 460W PSU., Id get a 600W because they are normally pretty cheap and it gives you room to upgrade. I bought mine last week, OCZ 600W + lite-on DVD drive/burner for 42.50 after rebate. OCZ is one of the better PSUs also. Look around.


Get a combo deal with your processor. You can always save like an extra $15 dollars that way.

I think the Lite-on dvd burner is back to $19, its a good burner/reader and always cheaper.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:51 pm
Posts: 844
hmm i don't have the Hitachis that where suggested but i have 2x 1GB Hitachi drives and they are amazingly (and annoyingly) loud lots of seek noise and what not ...neither of them are defective they both just have the same frustratingly loud characteristics


otoh my samsung F3 is probably the quietest mechanical drive i have ever had.



to the op it is up to you as far as ordering everything from newegg but they are totally gouging people on the hyper212+ at $50 if it was me I'd totally buy the ximatek one instead (performance would be similar)

oh yeah one more thing I HAAAAATE the stock fan on the hyper212+ (i hate noise in general) i finally decided i couldn't live with the stock fan and replaced it with a Gelid Silent 12PWM fan (as well as swapping the 2x stock 120s in my Trition 180 case with Gelid Silent 12 fans) the reduction in noise with totally worth the investment.... you know try it maybe the stock fan won't drive you nuts if u get a hyper 212 but if it also is too loud for your liking the Gelid Silent 12 keeps my temps the same but with a noticeable reduction in noise.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:50 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:39 am
Posts: 88
maddingo wrote:
hmm i don't have the Hitachis that where suggested but i have 2x 1GB Hitachi drives and they are amazingly (and annoyingly) loud lots of seek noise and what not ...neither of them are defective they both just have the same frustratingly loud characteristics


otoh my samsung F3 is probably the quietest mechanical drive i have ever had.



to the op it is up to you as far as ordering everything from newegg but they are totally gouging people on the hyper212+ at $50 if it was me I'd totally buy the ximatek one instead (performance would be similar)

oh yeah one more thing I HAAAAATE the stock fan on the hyper212+ (i hate noise in general) i finally decided i couldn't live with the stock fan and replaced it with a Gelid Silent 12PWM fan (as well as swapping the 2x stock 120s in my Trition 180 case with Gelid Silent 12 fans) the reduction in noise with totally worth the investment.... you know try it maybe the stock fan won't drive you nuts if u get a hyper 212 but if it also is too loud for your liking the Gelid Silent 12 keeps my temps the same but with a noticeable reduction in noise.


This particular HDD doesnt have any complaints about the noise. Some people actually commented on how quiet it is. I just got mine in today so I hope I have the same review. I will find out this weekend!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Posts: 696
Quote:
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $59.99
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $134.99
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified $89.99
PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-M2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX $189.99

For $5 more, I personally would get the Samsung F3. I don't have a problem with Seagate, but the F3 is so highly regarded, you might as well go for it.
The CPU you selected is an awesome choice. I highly recommend it. One of the best bangs for your buck.
Even though they are supposed to be a reliable brand, I have had bad luck with Antec, so I would tell you to pick another PSU. Corsair makes a good one; I also like OCZ.
I can't complain about the 6870 - it's better than what I have. I've had some bad luck with AMD cards in the past, so I've switched (pretty much permanently) to nVidia. But it's your computer - choose what you want. A word of caution - make sure you download the drivers from PowerColor and not AMD. Some manufacturers tweak the drivers for their personal GPUs so the AMD drivers can be a little wonky.

Hope this helps.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Posts: 4
(Same guy who made this topic, just had to make a new account because of some errors on my part.)

Another question. Are these all of the parts I need to make a fully functioning computer, or am I missing parts? I do not know much about computers, and that is why I am asking, and thank you all for the great advice!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 153
^Yes, this has all you need, except peripherals, of course, like a keyboard, mouse, or monitor.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:04 am
Posts: 1035
Actually, the only other thing missing (besides the monitor, keyboard, and mouse that were mentioned in the earlier post) would be a discrete soundcard (if you don't particularly care for the onboard Realtek audio chip, that is). Just a thought!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:12 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:51 pm
Posts: 844
pcstudent wrote:
Actually, the only other thing missing (besides the monitor, keyboard, and mouse that were mentioned in the earlier post) would be a discrete soundcard (if you don't particularly care for the onboard Realtek audio chip, that is). Just a thought!



meh.. personally i wouldn't even worry about a discrete sound card ... onboard sound use to suck pretty bad (interference..generally rather craptastic) but it has improved to the point where unless you are super picky / audiophile type it is good enough for 99% of the people...


try it ...if you don't like the onboard sound it will be easy enough to add a sound card later. but don't spend money on one till you give the onboard sound a go.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:50 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Posts: 4
I have a monitor already and a keyboard. I was also wondering if anyone knew about the Saitek CCB437090002/02/1 Black Wireless Laser 5600 dpi Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Mouse and if it was really worth it. I know that the price was insane, but it is a gaming mouse so I was wondering. I read some reviews, but I am kinda convinced.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First Computer that I am building, I need help!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:53 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24339
Location: South of heaven
I said "no" based on being an AMD-based build. You get 1/2 the computational ability than Intel and you're still adding a dedicated card, so it should cost 1/2 as much over all; That's not the case though. If you must build based on an AMD CPU, you can get the Llano A8 that has a Radeon HD 6550 built in and not ad a dedicated card at all up front.

Or get an Intel CPU for computational power and still use an AMD card for graphics. A G620 dual core is comparable to that AMD quad ($78) and 2100 ($124) just wrecks it. It's a game of give and take, and the core count or Ghz count doesn't mean better necessarily. The better CPU is indeed the dual core 2100 (+HT) in any aspect you'd actually utilize. Basically, "what's that $135 worth to you?"

No need for a HS/F in an early build. The one that comes with either one is fine. Run it, find fault, and then think about paying money for more cooling.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group