Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Water Block
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:51 pm 

I just bought a Thermaltake Big Water liquid cooling kit but it didnt come with a water block. So I was wondering if you all could tell me what water block is the best in terms of cooling power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

First...what kit is this? It should have come with an all-copper block!
http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling ... -w0005.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------
Too many variable here to say the best for us, will be the best for you. I'd love to say that the Asetek or DangerDen block would be awesome for you, but they need a large volume pump to do a great job.

So, read up on Swiftech blocks (model MCW6000). That's the one I think you'll want, and they run around $40.

Or head back to Thermaltake and look at theirs. I still like Innovatek X-Flow Waterblocks too though...see the deal here? Too many that run well for some. Innovatek's are built around Ehiem pump systems. But you're bound by a mid-level pump and should look for reviews that look at the pressure drop across the block. You'll want one with low pressure drops. This rules out Asetek waterchill or DD TDX's...

Lately, I've been thinking that the X3M from X4Pro would be the block of choice for moderate to high powered pumps. But they're hard to find in North America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:33 pm 

Ya thats the kit but i bought it used for $70 but it didnt come with a block. So I am looking for a new block and I want a nice one. I looked at the X4Pro and it looks really sweet looks like it would cool very well. If you find out how much it is and how to get it let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:17 pm 

Aww man when I was checking out the X4Pro site earlier I somehow got toa section where it had the three waterblocks and a link to another site were you could make a custom water cooling kit. But now im at home and I cant find how I did it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:51 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

If you want best, forget retail products, make a design that best suites the shape and expected heat output of your processor die or the IHS, get it CNC machined out of pure copper, then get it silver plated, more then once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:22 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Hey, you better be water cooling more than just your CPU. If your going to be doing it do it all GPU, Northbridge, and the CPU. Get some passive cooling for your Graphics card ram and system ram. Why should I do this, peace and quiet my good man. Also, if you do, do it make sure the CPU gets the cold water first. Fold on it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:26 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

maxx wrote:
If you want best, forget retail products, make a design that best suites the shape and expected heat output of your processor die or the IHS, get it CNC machined out of pure copper, then get it silver plated, more then once.
Lot of work, asking around to find shops to machine, asking around to find platers that'll do silver, etc...when one could just hit "add to cart" IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:39 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

If you can settle for an inferior product, then yes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Im pretty sure not a lot of us would have any idea on how to design a waterblock specific to the heat output of our own procs.
Thats why we leave it to the pros.
I would think anything that you, an Uber German, had made wouldnt perform that much better than say a water system somebody like Chumly put together with retail products.
At least not enough to justify the amount of work, time, and money put into making your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:33 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

1. I'm Czech
2. I have bought, tested, and thrown away dozens of water blocks by Swiftech, DangerDen etc... You're kidding your self if you think a custom block made out of pure copper then silver plated, wouldn't make a difference. I'll make you one for 100$ CAD, and you can try it your self if you don't believe me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:32 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would say yes, but I dont have money to have a H2O system.
Sorry for calling you german, it just seems like you are, dont know why but it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

maxx wrote:

Thanks for the input maxx! I actually run a CNC shop and am interested in this approach. Would you use acrylic to cover the top and attach to the tubes? If not, what material would work? I would think that any heat resistant material would do to cover the channels. I'll have to find a silver plater if you say it really does make a difference (silver does have a higher thermo rating). I might try it!

Arquero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

maxx wrote:

I've got a question about this method, how much would each part cost? (estimated)

I mean if one could do all the design themselves, just the cost of having it machined. Copper + silver plating + the labour of monitoring the process can't be all to cheap can it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:36 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

Arquero, yes, I would machine a groove on the top of the walls for a rubber o-ring and use an acrylic top. I've machined several of my own, requiring only a single setup, and four tools (including the drill and tap for the holes), machining time was a bit long, because I put a whole bunch of square fins on the bottom, right under the hole for the intake tube... I'll see if I can find the SolidWorks CAD/CAM files, so I can show you how it looks and how I machined it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:43 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

urmumsacow, I'll let you know when I find the CAD files, I can calculate the machining time, the cost of material, and so forth... The plating isn't expensive at all, we don't do that in house, but even for a very thick layer on the underside of the block, where it's really needed, it's quick and relatively inexpensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Awesome, someday I may just go the watercooling route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

maxx wrote:
Arquero, yes, I would machine a groove on the top of the walls for a rubber o-ring and use an acrylic top. I've machined several of my own, requiring only a single setup, and four tools (including the drill and tap for the holes), machining time was a bit long, because I put a whole bunch of square fins on the bottom, right under the hole for the intake tube... I'll see if I can find the SolidWorks CAD/CAM files, so I can show you how it looks and how I machined it.

That would be cool! Thanks! Is the whole thing plated or just the underside (the part that touches the CPU) or the whole thing with extra on the bottom? Does this plating create a near-chemical bond? I assume something similar happens to be able to be extremely effective. Did you use a ball or a regular end mill? I assume your setup to do the fins was a small endmill and the channel was a larger endmil no ball endmill. A price breakdown would be cool!

Arquero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:19 am 

Arquero wrote:
maxx wrote:

Thanks for the input maxx! I actually run a CNC shop and am interested in this approach. Would you use acrylic to cover the top and attach to the tubes? If not, what material would work? I would think that any heat resistant material would do to cover the channels. I'll have to find a silver plater if you say it really does make a difference (silver does have a higher thermo rating). I might try it!

Arquero

My dad also has a CNC machine shop so I could come up with a design in CAD and then mill it out. Its just I dont know what design to use when creating a CAD drawing. If you have any recomendations im open for em.
(You know, where to put the channels and how think to make things)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:26 am 

Also maxx what CAD program did you use when designing your water block? I've got Mastercam so. If you could post pics of the water block you made or the CAD drawing that would be cool. :lol: :D :) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:38 am 

maxx wrote:
1. I'm Czech
2. I have bought, tested, and thrown away dozens of water blocks by Swiftech, DangerDen etc... You're kidding your self if you think a custom block made out of pure copper then silver plated, wouldn't make a difference. I'll make you one for 100$ CAD, and you can try it your self if you don't believe me.

If you have any extra blocks you dont want and your gona throw them away ill take them. And $100 for a custom water block doesnt sound bad. If anything could you give me info for what the best design would be(the channels and any other important things).