Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Rig
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Working on selecting the parts for a new rig. Looking for a price tag of around 1500$ or less.
This is what I came up with:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21794207

Can someone take a look at it and let me know if it looks OK?

Last edited by Xylogeist on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Rig
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:25 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I'd need your account to see it, and I don't want your account. Just post the info here, with links.
Or, if you can post a link to a wishlist that is not secured, that would work just as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:38 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Your wish list may be marked as public but it must be linked from the public wishlist section @ Newegg to be viewed by people other than you.
Here is how you can go about copying and pasting the right link:

1) Navigate to your wish list. I will assume for arguments sake that you have already made it public, if not that would be the first step.

2) in the address bar highlight the last 8 numbers after the equals sign in the address. Ex https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySa ... l.aspx?ID=17254165

3) Copy the numbers then navigate to the public wishlists tab and pick any list.

4) once the list opens go the the address bar again and highlight the last 8 numbers after the equal sign again then paste your numbers in their place. Ex. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=17254165

5) Now copy the whole address and paste the link here or where ever you need others to see the list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:43 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Hey wiked, long time no read! Thanks for the instructions, I'll use it next time someone needs a spec list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Work has been keeping me quite tired lately, go figure! No, problem! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

There, fixed the link. Check it out :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:16 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827151233
It's a little nitpicky, but this is a BOTB KickASS rated drive. It's even a buck cheaper!
What games/programs will you run on this?
For the cooler, I'd go with a CM Hyper212+ and replace the fan with one with LEDs. I'm assuming you wanted the LEDs because of your cooler choice.
With the CM cooler, you will get better cooling and an LED fan for about the same amount, assuming you went crazy on the fan.

P.S. You could do cheaper and better with G.Skill ram. Jbaz knows which ones are good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:04 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

hmm never heard of a hec Zephyr PSU before.

Anyhow, what do you plan on doing with this new rig? what apps? Any parts u plan to harvest from older computers?

Do you plan on adding a 2nd 580 within 6-12 months? and would you consider yourself a hardcore gamer? Putting in a 580gtx in a $1500 build is like adding a big v8 in a tiny Miada, yes you can do and yes it has been done before, but there's plenty of other ways for the same cost that will get you to the finish line and in some cases faster.

If you just plan to game with this machine, look at the cheaper i5 2500k quad core, its exactly the same as the i7 2600k, but without the HT and HT doesn't make a damn difference in games. i5's also OC just as good as the i7's so no worries there if you plan on OC. And I'd also recommend the cheaper CM 212+ CPU cooler, it's half the price, quieter and better performer than the zal's. They may look pretty with all the copper and blue led's, but since you are using an ugly (IMHO) lanboy case, I'll just throw that idea out.

For the PSU, I'd stick with known name brands that are trusted like Antec, Corsair, OCZ, seasonic and such. Those 580's are power hungry and will eat close to 560-600w of power; OC and you'll add 50-100w so you'll be getting to your 80% comfort zone on a 750 pretty easily. Personally I just went with a nice 850w OCZ Z series PSU for $80AR last week and I'm enjoying it. It's on us.ncix.com right now I believe still for that price.

As for graphic card choices, I'd say look at SLIing a pair of 560 gtx ti's. You can get the EVGA's for $210AR at us.ncix.com per card and together they'll beat the 580 hand down for the same price. Plus, they should soak up less power too and they run much cooler as well as their fans won't be as loud.

For ram, any CAS9 1.5v 1600 ddr3 speed ram will do you. Those same Corsair 8gb kits were $40 each last week and I believe they are still at that price if I'm not mistaken. You should also look at G.Skill's stuff since they run pretty cheap as well with the same specs, but honestly anything will work pretty good.

As for the mobo, get a z68 please. p67 maybe find, but why spend money on an older chipset with the latest one is the same price with more features? ASRock makes a z68 version of that board for a similar cost. Get it. Or look at Asus, Gigabyte, MSi offerings in the same price range.

As for the case, its really up to you if you like the idea of a lego case with a completely mesh body... I'd go towards the HAF 932 for a little cheaper or the 922. But honestly, I'd get the NZXT phantom white case since its on sale for $125; offers great features, looks awesome, and is really a solid case.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well actually I'm getting a specific DVD burner based on its xbox 360 back-ups ability..
And actually I picked out the Zalman because I heard they were fantastic, I guess if this cooler master one is better I can go with that xD
I'll be using it for high-end gaming (Skyrim and BF3 top specs), and video editing/rendering, for which I figure I'll need a lot of RAM.
850W power supply will be added.
I'll take a look at the 560's...
Well, I had a good G.Skill choice of RAM before, which was 8gb and clocked at 1866, but I ultimately thought that it might be in my best interest to stretch for 16gb and drop down to 1600?

Oh, and I'm sticking with i7. For many many many many many MANY years I've wanted to build an i7 machine, and I will NOT pass up this final opportunity, I was fooled into going AMD time and time again, because I just couldn't afford an i7... but now its actually a price I can afford :p Plus I've seen the sandy bridge's power... I am very pleased.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

If you do go with a 580 GTX, this one has far better cooling for the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %2f1536MD5

Well, $10 more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'll take a look at that one.

Anyone want to suggest a motherboard? I like the one I chose, but someone mentioned there might be better choices out there. I NEED USB 3.0, Sata 6gb, 1155 slot, and at least 2 to 3 express slots. Make sure its a trusted brand (ASUS preferably). I know most people trust EVGA, but I've had 4 of those boards have serious hardware issues.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:11 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

The only downside to the asus monster 580 is that its a 3 slot cooler. It'll limit your ability to SLI if you don't get a mobo that puts the x16 slots with two spaces instead of the normal one... or you could spend the $350+ on the crazy insane mobo's that have nothing but x16 slots... lol

Personally, I'd stick with 560ti SC evga's in SLI for the same price. Way more power than you'd ever need for the same cost, lower heat and same power requirement. Honestly, look at the same ASrock z68 board.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $125+8sh
This one fits the budget really well and the x16 slots are 2 slots apart so you could SLI the monster 580's. It's got pcie 3.0 as well so its ready for next gen cards, but you have to use an ivy bridge cpu. Another down side is that it only has 2x sata3 ports as the higher end boards will have 4 or more; also the warranty is only 2 yrs instead of 3. But its a good budget mobo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What's wrong with the P67 board? Its got higher ratings and more USB/Sata slots...

Oh, and after my last two builds that had dual cards, I'm kinda leaning towards one epic card, because of the maintenance required for 2.. but I'll take a look none the less.
Can someone fill me in on RAM? Is 4x4gb of RAM a good choice? Will I have performance loss from using 4 sticks rather than 2? I want as much RAM as possible, but I do game a lot so performance is key. I think 8gb could satisfy me, but if 16gb is possible with no drop in performance, I would like that, as HD video rendering calls for a lot of RAM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:06 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Nothing wrong with the p67, it's just the z68's are around the same cost and have newer features like the SRT ssd drive ability. Plus, P67's had that whole debacle last year of bad sata ports where Intel had to recall $1B worth of parts... no biggie. :p

What maintenance? just hold the canned air down longer to clean out the dust...

You won't see a performance drop if you fill in all of the ram slots, unlike some of the 1st gen i cores. And even then, it was only on select cheaper mobo's that would down clock from 1600 to 1333.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

4x4 will work. It will be a pair of Two channel sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well I had two ATI 4890's, and those things had terrible cooling, I had to disassemble them both and clean out their innards just to get the idle temperature bellow 60C at one point.

How do these look for SLI?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446

EDIT: Found out the burner I need, added. I also added some DVD+R DL disks.
I've decided to stick with the P67 board. Now I just need to decide whether to go with one 580 or two 560's...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

if you can spare the coin i would go with a pair of these...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

you will not regret it. i have the same type of cards only the 460 version and love them :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

It's $210AR at us.ncix.com.

They also have the EVGA version for $210.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yea, I hear a lot of MSI's stuff arrives dead :p They've always sounded like a nightmare to me xD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Well then, I'm 3 for 3 then. :p