Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Built PC - No Signal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm 

Soooo I’ve just finished building my computer, hooked up the screen, turned it on. The computer LEDs light up, all fans whirring, everything looks fine there. But the screen says ‘No Signal’. This is the first time I’ve built a computer and to be quite honest I have no idea what to do.

I read that you could troubleshoot by listening to the beeps it makes when starting up and it seems to be making two short beeps, which my motherboard manual says is a CMOS settings error. However I’m actually not confident that what I’m hearing is two beeps or just some part of the computer making a noise as it powers up, not sure what I’m meant to be listening for.

If that is the problem, what would I do to fix it? I also think that if that’s not it, it may be something to do with my heatsink/RAM, as the heatsink presses into one of the sticks of RAM and puts it on a slight angle. Does it matter much which way the heatsink faces? (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler Rev2 )

These are the parts:
CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced with Window
Gigabyte GA-880G-UD3H Motherboard
Corsair GS-600 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB
Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3
Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EARS
Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVDRW Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB SSD
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler Rev2

Post subject: Re: Built PC - No Signal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:00 pm 

You want to have the CPU cooler blow air out the back of the case.

Do the keyboard lights and everything come on?

Did you plug in the 8-pin CPU power connector?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Yes, it is important which direction the heatsink is installed. Like Cheetahcat said, it should blow air toward the back of the case. However, note that this generally means that the actual fan part should be facing toward the front of the case, because most CPU fans are going to be an intake fan, so it will pull in cool air from the front, blow it over the heatsink and out the back. Check the manual that came with it to be sure.

I can imagine the heatsink pushing into the RAM like that could definitely be causing issues. I would take out the 2 sticks closest to the heatsink and try to boot it with just the other 2 in. The RAM does not generally have to start in a specific slot, as long as you have the dual channel paired in the appropriate slots. Again, check the manual for the motherboard for more info on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Is your monitor hooked up to the MB onboard video? If not try hooking up there and then go into the BIOS and switch over to the PCIe GPU then hook it up to the video card. Does the CPU fan come on? try taking out all but one stick of memory and try booting then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

First of all, generally speaking it matters a great deal which DIMM slots are populated with RAM, so consult the motherboard manual and proceed accordingly. Failing to POST because the RAM is incorrectly placed will not help your cause. You can remove the heatsinks from the RAM to troubleshoot if you need to get them to fit under the CPU cooler. You can also mod the cooler with a dremel for a long term solution.

The orientation of the CPU heatsink matters less in a well ventilated case, so if you have good airflow from front to back you can change it if you need to. Ideally though, you would prefer to have hot air pointed toward the exhaust. Was this motherboard an open box deal? I would just short the CMOS jumper and reset it. If you don't know what I'm talking about look in the motherboard manual, or just pull the CMOS battery for about 10 seconds and replace it. From there, cross your fingers, pray to whatever deity you favor, and try again.

Additionally, it's unlikely that your RAM could be at enough of an angle to be causing this issue. Does the HDD spin up at all? Check the power connection to the video card, and the aux 4/8 pin connection to the mobo as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

vig1lant3 wrote:
First of all, generally speaking it matters a great deal which DIMM slots are populated with RAM, so consult the motherboard manual and proceed accordingly. Failing to POST because the RAM is incorrectly placed will not help your cause. You can remove the heatsinks from the RAM to troubleshoot if you need to get them to fit under the CPU cooler. You can also mod the cooler with a dremel for a long term solution.

Wow, that is so not true. Most boards with 4 slots allow you to place 2 sticks in either pair. How about you do a little research before making me sound like an idiot for suggesting it (I did say "consult the manual" after all) and before advising someone to take the heatsinks off their RAM? Look at page 16 of the manual for the motherboard: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Ma ... v1.4_e.pdf

It clearly shows that the 2 sticks can go in either the 2 white slots or the 2 blue slots. If he puts the RAM in the 2 white slots (slot 3 and 4), then he should be able to avoid the CPUs heatsink at least enough to see if it posts without the RAM being tilted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Gee...I've only been building custom PC's for 30 years now. On top of my experience in the Army, and the time I spent in Winston-Salem working for Dell, is that not enough hands on experience to make up for a lack of time to research one specific motherboard?

Wasn't trying to make you look bad, I was endeavoring to do what I've done in so many other forums over the years, which is no less than to give sound advice to those in need. Thus, I spoke in generalities and suggested referencing the manual for confirmation (because Lord knows nobody is always right). If you are going to take things personally, then perhaps you don't need to be posting here.

Additionally, if you would like to do some research, you could pull up the motherboard manuals of all the boards I've worked with in the last 3 decades and learn a bit about the RAM configurations I'm talking about. DIMM slots 3 and 4 are the traditional slots to populate first when working with AMD chipsets and CPU's. If you read the manual, you will see this is still the case for RAM overclocking with this particular mobo. Conversely Intel has always been the opposite (0&1 or 1&2), which is to say that the DIMM slots closest to the CPU are generally populated first.

Also, I'm not certain that @ Matilda is a "he" so you may want to omit gender references... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Points taken, let's keep this discussion on track with the OP and wait on more information from the OP!