Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Add an SSD as C:\ and keep existing HDD as data drive
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 am 

I want to speed up my boot time and am considering adding a 120GB SSD as C:\ and moving my existing 500 GB C:\ drive to D:\ as my data drive. Is there some EASY way to do this without having to reinstall everything or reformatting my old drive and restoring the data? I would entertain having temporary dual boot until the SSD is up and running but that means the old drive must remain undisturbed. I have everything backed up and have drive images, too. Please advise. :)

Post subject: Re: Add an SSD as C:\ and keep existing HDD as data drive
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:07 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

What program are you using for the images? If you have an up-to-date drive image of C:, just restore the image onto the SSD, then take out the existing HD and boot. Then when you know it worked, put the HD back in and reformat it.

That's assuming your C: image will fit onto 120G, if it doesn't, you need to pare it down to size and make a new image.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 am 

Unfortunately my existing HD utilization exceeds the capacity of a 120 GB SSD and I really don't want any of my data on the SSD. I'm uncertain if all my programs would fit on the SSD so they may need to reside on the HD as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Some imaging software allows removal of files from the image. A previous poster asked what software you are using for imaging. My previous imaging experience had me save my image to a different drive from the one being imaged.
I would:
Image C: saving data to a back up HD. Copy the image such that now you have 2 images. Say one is named "C edited" and one is named "C Full" Then edit the "C edited" image and remove any files you do not want on your SSD. Install the SSD and restore image to it. Clean up your old HD which is now D: or format and pull only data files from the "C Full" image to the new D:.
Obviously this leaves out a few steps like rebooting and installing, but you sound like you know how to do the little steps and are just looking for an overview.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 pm 

I should have included that I'm using Windows 7 Backup to backup and do imaging. For all the steps I'm seeing (call me lazy 'cause I am) I think I'd rather just do the clean Window's install route and start from scratch. It omits gum on the sidewalk anyway if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

That would still work but you will still need to format the HDD so that the OS is no longer on it. So here is what I am saying as a whole. Make a folder on your current HDD that is called "back-up" then stuff all the data that you want to keep (data) into that folder. Then make a image of just that folder then do then format it and install SSD and install OS. Once OS is installed you can re-image the old HDD and then you are done. That's I how I would do it but that is me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:39 am 

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Cloning an HDD onto a solid state drive will waste some it's potential. Windows formats HDDs and SSD differently. HDDs use 512byte sectors, SSDs use 4KB sectors. Go look at any of the SSD benchmarks and see what a HUGE impact this has on performance. So, not only would you be transferring all your junk and clutter, you'd be transferring it with a very unoptimized format. Much better to just do a fresh Windows install.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:46 pm 

Travatron wrote:
Cloning an HDD onto a solid state drive will waste some it's potential. Windows formats HDDs and SSD differently. HDDs use 512byte sectors, SSDs use 4KB sectors. Go look at any of the SSD benchmarks and see what a HUGE impact this has on performance. So, not only would you be transferring all your junk and clutter, you'd be transferring it with a very unoptimized format. Much better to just do a fresh Windows install.

Great tip and a total certification of the direction I need to take, thanks!

ps: love your sheep drinking the kool-aid avatar!