Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I need some videocard buying advice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 am 

I built my current computer in December of 2005 and I guess it goes without saying that it's a bit "aged" at this point. I'd been hoping to build my second one by now but unfortunately it has not yet been economically feasible. It has an Asus A8N32-SLI mobo, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor, 4 GB of Corsair XMS RAM and a BFG 7800GTX 512 MB video card. I have also been using a Corsair Nautilus 500 water cooling system in it for several years. I just got a new 1 TB hard drive for Christmas and was installing it this morning. Since I had to pop the case open and remove lots of stuff to get to the drive bays, I thought this was the perfect time to switch back to air cooling. (I have never overclocked this machine but gaming back in the day during the summer time really heated things up a bunch so I installed the water cooling at that time). Because of the age of my rig and the fact that I now do most of my gaming on the XBox 360 (sorry), I figured there was no more need for the water cooling. I guess I should have just left well enough alone because while I was popping the heat sinks off of my video card, I pulled three of the memory chips that they were stuck to completely off the board. Nice way to ruin what used to be a pretty decent card, huh? This now leaves me with no video card.

OK, sorry for that long story but I now need some help. I need to get a new video card for my system but I can't spend a buttload of money doing it. As I mentioned, I do not engage in PC gaming anymore so I don't really have any huge requirements for a big card like I used to. Honestly these days, I use the computer mostly for managing our music collection, pictures, e-mail, and the usual stuff. I do the occasional video editing in Premiere Pro and I work in Photoshop a bit but that's pretty much it. I do have dual 20.5" wide screen monitors hooked up to the PC (via DVI) running at 1680 x 1050. Normally this is the place where I would post what my budget would be for this upgrade. Although I do not have a specific limit, I am not looking to spend a lot. I am hoping to get a brand new machine sometime late this year so anything that can do a good job for me until then would be excellent.

Can anyone out there recommend something for me? I'd appreciate any advice that can be given.
Thanks for reading.
-Chris

Post subject: Re: I need some videocard buying advice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

While shopping around for a replacement card, I have come across a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Can I run a PCI Express 2.0 or above card or do I need to stick with PCIe 1.0?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

if your just looking for a bare bones stopgap card then this will do fine

SAPPHIRE 100291DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card $36
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102922

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 pm 

I went with an XFX Radeon 1 GB 5770 card. Seems to be working great.

Thanks.