Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Basic HDD Questions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:38 am 

Looking to upgrade my hard drives and have a couple simple questions:

1. Will a SATA 6.0 HDD work with a SATA 3.0 controller? Basically, is SATA 6.0 backwards compatible with SATA 3.0?

2. Is there a program I can put on a USB thumb drive that lets me copy files from an NTFS formatted drive in DOS or any other extra-OS program? Basically I want to back things up without the OS's interference (I guess you can call me paranoid).

Post subject: Re: Basic HDD Questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:50 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

1) Yes. It will work, but you may never see the perks of the new standard.

2) Probably not. Thumb drives are FAT32, should not be NTFS or defragged for reliability's sake, and are just being paranoid. A 64G thumb drive is over $130 and you can get a 1TB spindle drive for under $80. If you're that paranoid, get a cheap HDD and do your thing.

3) Don't be too afraid. Big brother doesn't really exist and your ISP isn't watching bits. Most "finds" are far after something has gone very wrong and the confiscated items revealed more and made public. It's usually "upon further investigation, Falco77 had 1.95G of Metallica..."

4) Whatever you're doing, knock it off dude. If you don't pay for movies or music, then try it so the rest of us get content in the future...but that's still cool. If you're paranoid about backing up stuff, then it's wrong. I'll back up 200TB of movies without worry. On a thumb drive, that's pictures. This isn't a backup question is it? It's moving farm animal pics...or worse.

Post subject: Re: Basic HDD Questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 pm 

Okay thanks. I'm worried about backing up my main drive with a program that runs in XP. I have two identical drives - one that serves as my main drive and it's twin is used as a back up. I use an older version of Norton Ghost booted off a floppy to back it up. Before you laugh I've used newer programs and they never seem to work entirely. The older version of Ghost does a good job of copying the boot sector, the newer version failed the "boot test" in that I couldn't boot from my backup drive. My main drive is still FAT32 for the sake of being recognized by Norton Ghost. I was just thinking there should be a program that you can run in DOS for copying an NTFS drive by now.