Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: usb vs. pci wireless adapter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:59 pm 

So recently my wireless pci card has died on me and am in need of a new one. I've been looking around on the internet and have found both pci and usb wireless adapter for around the same price. I would assume that pci is better but now I am not sure after reading different opinions around the web. So I was wondering if anybody knew which is truely better and what adapter has the best bang for the buck.

O, I primarily was the pc for gaming and usually have it plugged in by ethernet. It is only durring the summer months that I have to use wireless.

Post subject: Re: usb vs. pci wireless adapter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:11 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Neither the PCI or Wireless USB dongle transfer limits are challenged in the typical home. My USB Wireless N adapter transfers at the same rate, through two walls and 45' of house, as I get on my hard line CAT5 cable connected desktop in the house. So unless you're paying BIG money for a fat ass connection, think T1/DS-1, OC-3 or optical connections, your speed is going to be limited by your Internet Provider, not the card or USB dongle.

Having said that, and I am a HUGE fan of Wireless N routers and Wireless USB dongles, you will need to look at how your home is setup. If the router is going to be a long distance/a few walls in between from your wireless PCI card computer, you could always buy an extension antenna. You can't do that with most USB dongles. It would be good for me to point out that many USB dongles typically have a longish cable so you can move the dongle around. I've got two USB dongles that are just plug in USB types with no cable and they both perform wonderfully using a cheap Asus wireless N dongle from Newegg for $20. If you're using wireless N, I would just use a USB dongle. Keep the packaging and all and take it back if it doesn't perform well for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:28 am 

Thanks for the reply, I decided to go with an ASUS usb-n13 wireless adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:22 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Funny you should say that. That is the exact same one I'm using on two other computers. The damned things are cheap as hell for wireless N capable devices. I've recommended this exact same one to others here in the forums. The Asus N13 is very fast! I've gotten 1.2MBps thru-put on mine. 8)