Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overclocker Retard
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:35 pm 

ok I am just getting really into learning computers, and I heard that OverClocking a CPU makes it go faster but, could melt your system down. well my dumb questions is how do u Overclock to begin with? Is it something in the BIOS you have to mess with, cuz my BIOS are like 2yrs old on this comp and I didnt see anything on it that can change speeds, so any help on for me would be great.

P>S try not to laugh to much :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:57 pm 

You can find a lot of information on overclocking on such sites overclocker.com or you can google it. I've never OC'd for fear of damaging my expensive hardware, so I don't know how much I can help you. But i'm sure that other people on this forum can help you.

Post subject: Re: Overclocker Retard
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Alchemy wrote:
ok I am just getting really into learning computers, and I heard that OverClocking a CPU makes it go faster but, could melt your system down. well my dumb questions is how do u Overclock to begin with? Is it something in the BIOS you have to mess with, cuz my BIOS are like 2yrs old on this comp and I didnt see anything on it that can change speeds, so any help on for me would be great.

P>S try not to laugh to much :lol:

If you can't find anything, it's best to leave it alone. You never know what you'll mess up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey, not laughing here! You're not the only one in the dark. Many folks out there know the word OC and use it freely, but ask 'em how and you get a quote from a magazine or site. But do they understand it? Nahh...

Learn the basics of how a PC works first, then it'll all click. Basically, there's a Front Side Bus (FSB) clock that is generated by the northbridge (chipset). It tells the bus to run at, say, 200Mhz. Then, the CPU has what's called a multiplier. This is a setpoint that the vendor set internally to tell the CPU how fast to run. If it's set at x10, then you take TEN and MULTIPLY it by the FSB...2,000Mhz.

The multiplier is now locked down and you can't change it (except in older AMD's. And newer Intels combined with certain motherboards and the correct BIOS, they'll let you lower the multiplier). SO, the basic way to OC is to simply bump the FSB up. SO, you can't change the 10, so change the FSB. Bump the 200 to a 210 and you now have 2,100Mhz. That's an Overclock in short.

You still need to understand more before you jump in head first. Small bumps are a gimme (10Mhz bump as above). Big ones need more knowledge as you'll be having to see and understand what's going on in order to correct it. You can't make a Chevy V8 spin 9,000RPM by reading a how-to in Hot Rod magazine ;)

If anything, it's a chance to understand what actually goes on inside that PC. If OC'ing sparks this interest, then by all means educate and continue! Questions to ask along the way: What's timing? What's PC533 and PC4200? Is there a difference? Why would you want to LOWER a multiplier? What's bandwidth? What's being stressed? Where? What's power consumption? What's a class Alpha fire? ¿Dónde es el nearist casa de la puta? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

http://hardforum.com/

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=320351

These links should get you started

:)

Post subject: thankz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:00 pm 

thanks for your help, I got the Feb issue of MaxPC and dled the EVERST info thing, the web links you gave helped alot, but I found out that my old mobo, is locked just like you said, I changed the mulitplier , and it showed nothing , so I reading some more to find out if there is anything I can do or am I just S.O.L.. Thanks for the help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Give us some system specs please