Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel 775/Skt-T needs air : H20 users take note
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:02 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

After playing around for a month or so with water on a Skt-T, I've come to a pretty clear conclusion that the area around the socket needs air. Folks with Heatsinks may not see this as they have a steady stream passing over the CPU AND the caps and surrounding area. But if you have a WaterBlock, there's no air and may need to find some method to get a slug of air around there somehow.

This may be a design issue with just the Abit AA8 and the Asus Premium's, but I've noticed it on both. They've both OC'd very well, but wouldn't be stable with a high OC after a couple days. On accident, I left the case's side open and my big fan in the house happened to be blowing in my direction and it stayed running all week with no problems.

I took a laser temp gauge and noticed all the caps and transistors around the CPU where very hot. I took away the fan, and it occured again...instability after long up-times even though the core temps looked great. Keep in mind this is occuring after 4 days or so, so it's not a huge hit or anything. Especially if you shut down regularly.

I ordered another crossflow fan (lost the other) and I'll try and follow up after a steady week of up-time *crosses fingers*. I figured you all should know this if you didn't already. I had hopes of eventually only running one fan, and that would be on my Radiator. This now sounds like I'm going to have to keep the crossflow on low (21dB) all the time and squash that idea. Not much of a bummer, as it was pretty much a pipe dream.

Oh ya, if you don't OC, then I don't think this should be a problem. I've ran the Abit AA8/550 for 2 weeks after an hour of burn-in no problems. It's just after ramping up 255+ that I see it not wanting to stay up. And may be another reason that the Abit Fatality is a good purchase with all it's fans (I'll settle for a ducted crossflow and the awesome Asus, thank you :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:16 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hi, I'm still yapping away. Oh well, I got another addition today:

If you're planning on watercooling a P4 and a 6800GT/Ultra, you'll need more than a "normal" setup. I have a 120mm Black Ice Extreme that just got it's GPU block on today, and it really isn't enjoying it's new heatsource. Sure, it runs fine by all means, I just can't expect to add too much more than this and puts the AquaComputer HDD coolers on hold until I patch in another Rad. I'm looking at the Black Ice Micro 80mm unit to go in the blowhole.

And to top it off, I got an email from Danger Den which came a little late:
Quote:
When you add the 6800 and our NV 68 cooler watch your temps because some people have had to add another xtreme rad and others have not
I'm the "some that will have to add".

DD is awesome by the way and deal way too much with my long strung out questions. I just wasn't watching my inbox enough and reached the same conclusion.