Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need your recommendaiton for a quiet CPU fan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:38 pm 

I am going to purchase an Athloin 64 3200+ and build a new system. But have never built from scratch before. How good/bad are the stock CPU fans that come with the retail boxed sets? I am probably not going to overclock but want to keep my options open. So, I think that I want to get a better and more quiet solution. I am NOT going to ever overclock enough that I want to go all the way to a water-cooled system or anything else exotic enough to be featured in Maximum PC. :)
Lack of noise is extremely important. What would you recommend as an ultra-quiet high quality CPU fan (that will not totally break the bank--do not mind spending a reasonable amount but do not want to spend more on the fan than I do on the CPU itself)??
Do I also need something called thermal glue or tape?? How does that work and is it hard to install correctly for a first-timer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:12 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

A Zalman 7000 or Thermalright XP-90 with a panaflo 92mm fan. Use Arctic Silver 5 for CPU grease. The thermal grease is easy, some motherboards are a pain with certain HSFs though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:37 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Artic cooling ultra 64 for like $15 is a great cooler and is completely inaudbile unless your ear is within slicing distance of the fan.