Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WLED vs. Backlit-LED laptop screens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 pm 

I'm trying to decide between 2 mini-laptops. One has a "WLED" screen and the other has a "Backlit LCD" screen. Which one is better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:27 am 
Northwood
Northwood

The WLED is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

guoruiwu1994 wrote:
The WLED is better.

Are you sure about that G? An LED Backlit LCD panel and WLED are simply two different names for the same technology. White Light Emitting Diodes emit one color. This White light is projected onto an LCD panel from behind and then circuitry in the LCD panel shapes the area to refract the light into the appropriate color which is then emitted as red blue and green light with the appropriate hue and saturation. The LCD panel is passive in this case and simply acts as a lens for the white light being emitted from the wled.

The difference between an LCD screen and the WLED one is that in the LCD a bunch of very small clear tubes run through the back of the LCD panel from a light source in the base or back of the monitor or television. Its a lot like those old 70's disco era lamps with the glass tubes that made the "fuzzy lights" of that era.

WLED is a bunch of small LED's that replace the tubes of glass or carbon fibre. This has the advantage of making the light brighter, higher in contrast, the overall unit weigh less and, and consume less power. as in order to get black for a particular area the led is turned off individually. cant do that with lcd light source which only has ONE light source.

So to answer the question Neither is better as they are the same technology the only difference will be in the implementation from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Admittedly, just looking at them, the WLEDs are brighter and seem more vibrant, although I'm not certain you'd see a difference on a laptop sized screen.

Since you're talking laptops, the use of power would steer me to the backlit variety as IIRC, the LEDs will draw more power because of the amount of LEDs that has to be used to light the screen, although at some point in the future I'd expect this to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:30 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

LCD stands for "Liquid Crystal Display". They aren't the same thing at all- in fact, WLED screens also have LCD displays. LCD's are what refracts the light in them. the difference is in the backlighting. Standard LCD screens have a CCFL on top and on bottom of the screen (anyone who has disassembled an LCD knows this), and these light the entire screen, which means there will be uneven light conditions at different parts of the screen, and a true black is impossible, because the CCFL's can't cause just certain parts of the screen to go completely dark. This is where WLED comes in- it has LEDs evenly distributed throughout the back of the screen, which as you said, turn off individually to achieve true black.

What you got wrong there is that LCDs are not a form of backlighting and that WLEDs use an evenly distributed array, whereas standard LCDs use an imbalanced twin-large-light array that cannot achieve the same depth of lighting that WLED can. So to answer, yes, WLED screens are better.
Here's a good read on the slight details you missed that led you to that conclusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:18 am 
Celeron
Celeron

A few different opinions here, so I'll serve up another! :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight#LED_backlights

Okay, not really an opinion, but I think that may be the difference between "WLED Backlit" and "LED Backlit" screens. From that link, it sounds like pretty much any mainstream-level laptop with LED backlighting uses WLEDs. So the difference between the two laptops backlights, barring any major price difference, is probably nothing.

Finally, looking at the displays themselves is the only way to tell which one's better.

P.S. Any links to the laptops in question would be helpful. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:44 am 

He never said "LED Backlit" screen for the second option. The post only says backlit LCD screen. All LCD screens are backlit so this is not very descriptive.

Last edited by krikboh on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:45 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I think a few of you are confused the options were WLED or just plain backlit lcd he made no indication that the second one had any LEDs involved so the first one would be a better choice based on that fact.

Post subject: Re: WLED vs. Backlit-LED laptop screens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Adeg wrote:
I'm trying to decide between 2 mini-laptops. One has a "WLED" screen and the other has a "Backlit LCD" screen. Which one is better?

clearly there's a mention of a "WLED" screen and the other a "backlit" screen. The WLED screen is the LED screen, and the "backlit" screen a standard white CCFL screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:24 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Danthrax66 wrote:
I think a few of you are confused the options were WLED or just plain backlit lcd he made no indication that the second one had any LEDs involved so the first one would be a better choice based on that fact.

Agreed. By saying WLED, one describes the back light is a white (actually blue) LED rather then the florescent that we're all used to seeing and standard backlight would not have an LED used to this effect. Since it's a feature people look at, it wouldn't make sense that a screen would have LEDs and the manufacturer not state it.

For everyone else, I found the below link a good read, although I'm not sure of it's totally credible, most of it actually makes sense.

http://gamers-underground.com/forum/tec ... reens.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:33 pm 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

There are three kinds of LED backlit displays

WLED full backlight
WLED edge backlight
and
RGB LED full backlight (SONY)

WLED Edge backlights are the thinnest, use the least energy, and are NOT capable of local dimming.

WLED full backlights are capable of local dimming, but I haven't heard of local dimming in a notebook screen before.

RGB LED backlights (made by Sony, seen in some notebooks like high-end DELLs) are capable of local dimming and supposedly have a higher color gamut than WLED. Again, I don't know if the notebook versions do local dimming.

-Six

Post subject: Re: WLED vs. Backlit-LED laptop screens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am 

Adeg wrote:

I think you should go with "Backlit LCD". I personally perfer this one 8)