Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why a Good PS? (or, "reason to try water finally")
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:54 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20 ... 25242.html

"Documents released to system builders specify the Thermal design power (TDP) of Smithfield processors at 130 watts. This represents an increase of more than 13 percent over today's Pentium 4 5xx (Prescott) and the upcoming 6xx (2 MByte L2 Cache), which post 115 watts. Maximum supply current climbs from 119 ampere to 125 ampere. The new chips also consume more power than Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.46 GHz processor (116.7 watts) and Intel's most demanding chip: The Itanium 2 1.6 GHz consumes 122 watts."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:09 am 
Celeron
Celeron

At least, for Smithfield. ;)

I'd like to see how AMD handles it.

But yeah, good to hear some news! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:38 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I actually feel this is a leap forward the more I think about it. Now, they'll be offering Single-Core smithfields right? Well, dual cores suck up 130W, so wouldn't it be fair to say single core'd Smithfields would be 65W units?? If so, that'd be a GREAT move over what we have to put up with now.

And also, the rumor has been that the current crop of 925x chipsets won't run Smithfields. This is, so far, untrue. The only fact that is made publicly is that the 925's won't run dual cores. Nothing has ever been said from Intel (or it's rumor mill) that it won't run the single core CPU's (Cedar Mill).

With some thought about combining both of those paragraphs, a Single Core'd Cedar Mill (Celeron?) could run parallel to today's P4's while sitting in a budget line...and run MUCH cooler. IF this is a true statement, then I feel that dealing with the heat now isn't much of a concern if you can...um...upgrade to that celeron fairly soon..Weird, but all possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i have heard tho that the 925xe mobos will work with dual cores, supodily they were showcasing a dual core 3 ghz smithfield at the CES show on a 925xe mobo,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:49 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Simpson5774 wrote:
i have heard tho that the 925xe mobos will work with dual cores, supodily they were showcasing a dual core 3 ghz smithfield at the CES show on a 925xe mobo,
I've, uhhh, heard that too :D

But what they have now and what they'll release to the public is always a guess. They may just chop off the ability to force some sales...anything can happen between now and then.