Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opinions on this build I'm working on
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:38 am 

This is what I've come up with so far. I've read many reviews and articles on PC MAX about the majority of these components. The items I have chosen have received the highest reviews in their respective catagories. I'd like to hear what anyone has to say, thank you!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1uBsR

Post subject: Re: Opinions on this build I'm working on
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

• I would swap this for a Core i5-4670K or 4570. Though this requires a motherboard switch too, to a socket LGA 1150 board.
  • Unless you're doing heavy overclocking, swap the H100 for a Cooler Master Hyper 212.
  • Drop the RAM to 8GB (in a 4GBx2 configuration)
  • Just personal preference, but look into getting a Samsung 840 SSD
  • The Antec Nine Hundred doesn't come with dust filters and it does get really dirty in the case quickly. It's also annoying to clean.
  • Drop the power supply to 600W
  • You should've saved some money now. Spend that on a better video card.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:41 pm 

Would you mind elaborating on your reasoning behind your suggestions? I can understand the need for filters for the case, dust is an evil culprit to heat. But for everything else, all I can gather is that I'd be sacrificing performance in some areas, in order only to save money for an upgraded video card. Keep in mind that I did go big with the power supply because I plan on upgrading to dual GPUs in the future. Therefore the cooler choice seemed pretty easy. Why less RAM? Also, I planned on spending between $1,500-$1,750. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Reasons for my selections

CPU
The Core i7-3770K, or if you get the Haswell version, the Core i7-4770K, doesn't improve a whole lot against the Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) or Core i5-4670K (Haswell) and the only difference between the two models aside from a 100MHz bump in clock is HyperThreading. The only place where the i7 shines over the i5 is in multi-threaded tasks. Since I'm going to assume this PC is built mainly for gaming, a very small handful of games benefit from multi-core processors. The only game I know that benefits more is Supreme Commander.

Even if we were to be hopeful in assuming that the next generation consoles will more or less force developers to take advantage of multi-threaded tasks, I'm willing to bet these require real cores to see those benefits, not the "faked" multi-core HyperThreading provides. If benchmarks on the AMD FX-4300 and FX-8150 mean anything, where most benchmarks get double the performance between the two (and the difference is the FX8150 has twice as many cores). Between the i5 and i7, it's something like 30% more.

Cooling
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is $30 and performs really well for an air cooler. Back when it was released, it had the performance of $80 air coolers. If you're worried about fan noise, in my experience, the processor isn't the source of the majority of fan noise in the computer and water coolers can be just as noisy as air coolers. At best if you're getting a all-in-one water cooling kit, you shave off about 10C from an air cooler that you spend about three times more.

Also temperatures do not affect performance unless you're hitting the thermal ceiling and the processor is throttling itself. The only thing temperatures affect is the component's life span, which if Intel is shipping with their crappy stock cooler and expect it to last for 5 years (and every 10C lower doubles the life span of a part), then I don't see a point in getting anything more than an air cooler unless you're doing some heavy overclocking and keeping the CPU busy.

RAM
Since I'm running under the assumption that this is more or less a gaming PC here's the deal. Practically all games released are still 32-bit. In a Windows 64-bit environment, the OS only allocates 2GB maximum of usable memory space for any 32-bit application unless it was compiled with a flag specifically telling the OS to allow all 4GB to be used. As far as I know, only a handful of games were compiled like that. Thus since most games, yet, are going to breach 2GB, 8GB is pretty much the most a lot of us here will recommend.

The only time we ever say that more than 8GB is acceptable is if you're doing serious video editing, Photoshop, or running several VMs at once.

SSD
Just a personal preference. The one you picked is fine.

PSU
If you're getting two graphics cards, then you still don't need 1000W. For simplicity's sake, start with 600W for a single video card system, then add 150W for every video card you add. In measurements I pulled from the wall using a Kill-A-Watt, I had a Core i5-2500 with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti's. At most it would pull is about 330W. When replaced both cards with a GTX 670, the total power consumption was about no more than 240W. Off the wall. Running what I thought was a pretty taxing game (Crysis 1). From most power supply reviews I've read, from sources that actually do in-depth reviews, power supplies are most efficient at 50%-60% load. So I figure, 600W is a good figure for all single high-end video card systems, and each card adds about 150W.

Also you might be tempted to say, "but LatiosXT, the box says I need 600W for just one card!". This is assuming a worst case, 100% loaded ATX system. My observations (and pretty much everyone who actually does a power measurement) shows otherwise that those cards don't need that much juice.

Video card
So why get a better video card? Because almost all the time, the game is going to be bottlenecked by the video card.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 am 

Thank you for the information, it was extremely helpful. I modified my computer to your recommendations. I lowered the PSU to 750W, I know that is still a bit high but my reasoning for that is so that I can maintain the lifespan of the PSU with lower loads. I'm not a green energy freak but I do believe that the platinum certification will also help out the temperatures and longevity of the system at being more energy efficient. Correct me if I'm wrong about that and I'm not just falling for a marketing ploy. I changed the CPU to the Haswell I5, then a new MOBO that is one of the new high end ones to match the CPU, it fits under my budget but is it over kill? Lastly if better, what GPU would you recommend as an upgrade? I suppose I could downgrade the MOBO to upgrade at the GPU for money savings and not run into a bottleneck?
By the way, I had already purchased the cooler because it was on sale so I'm stuck with that. Never hurts to be colder!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1uWL4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Take a look at this build Traize. I put it together before your latest post but it's similar to what you just posted. I went to core i5, 8gb ram, a $160 mobo, a nice 750W psu, and a really powerful graphics card. And it's around $1500 total.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1uXhZ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.46 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($52.69 @ Amazon Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1531.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 12:15 EDT-0400)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 am 

phillyj,

Yeah that build is mostly identical to what I changed mine to. The PSU's are different but only by brand. Then the only differences are the GPU and the MOBO. I guess that's where I need to look to make my biggest changes. Would it be a large noticeable performance downgrade to go from the Asus Z87-DELUXE to the ASRock Z87 Extreme4? I know the graphics card upgrade to the GTX 670 would be fairly big from the GTX 660Ti, but by how much?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Would it be a large noticeable performance downgrade to go from the Asus Z87-DELUXE to the ASRock Z87 Extreme4? I know the graphics card upgrade to the GTX 670 would be fairly big from the GTX 660Ti, but by how much?

It wouldn't be so much a change in performance, but features. If the ASRock has the features you want, then you should be good. I did notice on the ASRock that the fan connectors are all located in the middle of the motherboard, making wiring ugly, but this is a pretty small annoyance.

As to the video card, the 660Ti you're quoting is too expensive in my opinion - and so is the 670 phillyj is suggesting. The 670 GTX should be about $300. It will perform better than the 660 Ti, but you should also consider the 760 GTX. Performance-wise, it's wedged in between the 660Ti and the 670, but it's $30-50 cheaper than the 670 so price/performance would say this is a better option.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:52 am 
Team Member
Team Member

btdog wrote:
As to the video card, the 660Ti you're quoting is too expensive in my opinion - and so is the 670 phillyj is suggesting. The 670 GTX should be about $300. It will perform better than the 660 Ti, but you should also consider the 760 GTX. Performance-wise, it's wedged in between the 660Ti and the 670, but it's $30-50 cheaper than the 670 so price/performance would say this is a better option.

Hope this helps.

It seemed to me that OP was in Canada and those are the prices I found on the Canadian version of PCpartpicker. Now, if he can get it cheaper, it would be a even better. Honestly, I don't know much about videocards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 am 

The company I work for connects to a Canadian IP server so I think that's why pc part picker defaulted to Canadian pricing on my link.
As far as the MOBO, I think that I'm going to stick with the Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150. Unless I could be convinced that it's not worth my money. But money isn't really an issue, I just want something that will perform great and last me 4-5 years.
The GPU MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card and MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card are both $309.99 (before rebates). On paper the only differences as far as the performance numbers go is the following:
660Ti-----760
Core Clock:-----1019Mhz-----965Mhz
Boost Clock:-----1097Mhz-----1045Mhz
Memory Interface:-----192-Bit-----256-Bit

So with these differences, what would be a better choice? Thanks again for all the advice :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 am 

Decided to go with this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127748

Going for the 256-bit memory interface and the 4GB Memory to help with this decision, price is pretty solid too.

Final PC build is this, time to buy!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Traize/saved/2eeU