Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pc gaming , suggestions and help.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

Hi guys :)

i want to buy a pc gaming soon , to play the most recent games and upcoming games , as , Battlefield 4 , Gta V , etc ... , with maxed out settings.
i got this config in my mind ...

CPU: CPU Intel 1155 i5 3570K 3.40GHz 6MB Box
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX680 OC 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0
RAM: Corsair PC3-12800 1600Mhz 8GB Vengeance LP Black CL9 (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750W M 80PLUS Bronze
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III 3.5
SSD: Samsung Pro Series 840 Ultraslim 128GB 2.5" Sata III
Drive DVD: Samsung SN-208BB SATA Bulk
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Black USB 3.0

this is my config , and i want some suggestions/opinions/help about it , please.

Post subject: Re: Pc gaming , suggestions and help.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're going to spend that much on a GPU, a Radeon HD 7970 is a better performer. Otherwise a GTX 670 would do. Also you can lower the PSU down to 550W-600W.

Other than that, it looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:48 am 

thanks for reply
wich edition of hd 7970 is better ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 am 

First, I don't see a cooler... I would go with a CM Hyper 212 Evo with 2 COUGAR CF-V12H in push-pull (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835553001) If you don't plan on OC (which would be a shame on the 3570K), you could nix the fans and go stock with the CM EVO and be fine.

Second, as for GPU: If you don't care about price, argue over AMD or GTX 680 :) but I would go with a GTX 670 or possibly SLI-660/670 if you are going to OC them. It also depends if you are going multi-monitor. The MSI 660 Ti PE 3GB (I think that's who makes it) OCed is a great card. I know a guy who got his to beat out the "stock" 680... Put that in SLI and :D

Third, Don't listen about the PSU... bigger is better. (If you want to go SLI/Crossfire X or get a better CPU, etc.)

Fourth, Possibly go with 16GB of RAM (if you are going with Windows 7 Home Prem) might as well max yourself now...

Besides that great build!
Good luck ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 am 

Dark_Sunrise wrote:
First, I don't see a cooler... I would go with a CM Hyper 212 Evo with 2 COUGAR CF-V12H in push-pull (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835553001) If you don't plan on OC (which would be a shame on the 3570K), you could nix the fans and go stock with the CM EVO and be fine.

Second, as for GPU: If you don't care about price, argue over AMD or GTX 680 :) but I would go with a GTX 670 or possibly SLI-660/670 if you are going to OC them. It also depends if you are going multi-monitor. The MSI 660 Ti PE 3GB (I think that's who makes it) OCed is a great card. I know a guy who got his to beat out the "stock" 680... Put that in SLI and :D

Third, Don't listen about the PSU... bigger is better. (If you want to go SLI/Crossfire X or get a better CPU, etc.)

Fourth, Possibly go with 16GB of RAM (if you are going with Windows 7 Home Prem) might as well max yourself now...

Besides that great build!
Good luck ;)

well , i'm not plan OC in the first year , btw i will buy a cpu cooler anyway cause of summer = high temperatures xD
8GB i think is more than enough for now , i will install windows 8 (maybe an upgrade for 16GB in 2/3 years)
i'm not plan SLI for now , i will upgrade (when the games not running in this card) to next nvidia 700 series :)
and the motherboard , maybe i will buy ASUS P8Z77-V.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, counter points on that second opinion...

• A bigger PSU is not better. You're tossing money away on power that won't be utilized.
  • 16GB of RAM won't increase performance for the average person over 8GB, unless the person is using some RAM hungry application like Photoshop or some video editing program. And even then, 8GB should suffice.

Otherwise, for the sake of me believing the Intel stock cooler is a waste of aluminum and copper, I'd say yes, get an aftermarket air cooler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:15 am 

LatiosXT wrote:

• A bigger PSU is not better. You're tossing money away on power that won't be utilized.
  • 16GB of RAM won't increase performance for the average person over 8GB, unless the person is using some RAM hungry application like Photoshop or some video editing program. And even then, 8GB should suffice.

Otherwise, for the sake of me believing the Intel stock cooler is a waste of aluminum and copper, I'd say yes, get an aftermarket air cooler.

16GB of RAM is well worth it IMHO, but most of it will not be used

A bigger PSU is better... If you grab a missive (I use that word lightly) PSU, you will never have to worry about upgrading it... I think the 750W he has listed is a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 am 

Dark_Sunrise wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:

16GB of RAM is well worth it IMHO, but most of it will not be used

A bigger PSU is better... If you grab a missive (I use that word lightly) PSU, you will never have to worry about upgrading it... I think the 750W he has listed is a good choice.

tons of opinions , i'm really confused now xD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 am 

Quote:

Keep everything the same.... ( :!: maybe change GPU)
:!: Get a CM Hyper 212 Evo.

That is the general gist of the past few posts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 am 

Dark_Sunrise wrote:
Quote:

Keep everything the same.... ( :!: maybe change GPU)
:!: Get a CM Hyper 212 Evo.

That is the general gist of the past few posts.

any suggestion for GPU ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 am 

hdY wrote:
any suggestion for GPU ?

I (Keyword "I") would stick with a 680. Some would say to go with AMD, but as an AMD fan (booo Intel) I still think the 680 is a great choice (Unless you want to get a Titan :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, let's gets some facts out of the way to back up my opinions.

RAM usage
I've come to find that Windows will scale RAM usage to about 20%-25%, using machines that had 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB of RAM. So you still have plenty of space for your other applications should you run them. Most applications I've also used, which aren't by any means heavy hitters, rarely peak over 500MB of usage. The only one that did was Firefox, but Mozilla seems to have mitigated its RAM hungriness a lot in recent versions.

There's also the fact that most games are still 32-bit executables. In a 64-bit Windows environment, Windows, by default, allows only 2GB of RAM to be used. Once that 2GB limit is reached, the program thinks it's run out of memory. There's a way for the program to use all 4GB available in a 32-bit environment, but this requires a recompile of the program itself. Very few games are compiled in this way, and as far as I know, the only one that is is Skyrim. Plus 64-bit programs are actually kind of rare still. I only have a handful of 64-bit programs installed.

Power Supply
Believe it or not, 550W-600W is actually all you need for a single video card setup, for the rest of its life. If you want to go SLI, then I would certainly suggest a beefier one, but this has to be a short term decision. I don't like SLI anymore, I've had it, all it did was suck more power and made more fan noise. And also, when you do upgrade, you have two cards to get rid of.

For my system I have a Core i5-2500 and a GTX 670. Under a reasonable load such as a game, the power draw from the socket is only 230W. Even if I were to upgrade to a future video card, I wouldn't expect to see much of a power draw difference anyway as successive shrinking of transistors allow for more computational power for less electrical power. Heck, this is the same amount of power my last gaming PC used, which sported a Core 2 Duo with a 8800GT 512MB.

Given what I measured, I'm also fairly confident that I could even run SLI off a 600W power supply. But I'd rather not.

If you want to know how much power you need, plug in everything you're going to throw on the system at http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine . Since it calculates by default 90% load. Just take what it says, round up or down to the nearest 50W, and add half of it back. So if it recommends 390W, round up to 400W, then add 50% of 400 (200) and... you get 600W.

Video card
Tom's Hardware updated their best graphics card for the money views (URL is for your price range). They do this monthly too.

Also I should update my recommendation and it's gonna sound confusing. I would recommend the Radeon HD7970 GHz Edition (not the regular one) if you're going to spend that much on a video card. Otherwise if we go down the $400 or so range the Radeon HD7970 does better than the GTX 670. However, don't go above $450 on a video card unless you are driving resolution games at 2560x1400 or higher, or are running one of those multi-monitor gaming setups (three-screen or six-screen). In fact, if we were to be even more economical, the GTX 660 Ti and Radeon HD7870 will run all games at 1080p on maximum detail just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Agree with Latios 100%. A couple of things for your consideration though. You mentioned getting the P8Z77-V. I have it in my gaming rig. AWESOME board. A bit pricey, but it has Intel LAN, built in WiFi, LOTS of fan headers (all 4 pin PWM too) and is well built. If you choose it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

On the GPU front. I also use an MSI Hawk 7870 GHz Edition and it smokes all my games at 1080p (Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 1 & 2, MW3) so unless your going to jump up to 2560x1440 res, it's also a great choice. I would say all your other parts are spot on too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm 

Gutter96 wrote:
Agree with Latios 100%. A couple of things for your consideration though. You mentioned getting the P8Z77-V. I have it in my gaming rig. AWESOME board. A bit pricey, but it has Intel LAN, built in WiFi, LOTS of fan headers (all 4 pin PWM too) and is well built. If you choose it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

On the GPU front. I also use an MSI Hawk 7870 GHz Edition and it smokes all my games at 1080p (Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 1 & 2, MW3) so unless your going to jump up to 2560x1440 res, it's also a great choice. I would say all your other parts are spot on too.

well , i never had any AMD card, and i hear that exist a few bugs in the control panel of the board but that will be resolved next summer, so that's why i'm a little afraid to buy a AMD card.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

AMD's drivers have gotten a lot better as of late, and if there are any bugs in the control panel software I haven't noticed them. Not saying that they aren't there but if they are they're pretty minor. I just upgraded from an eVGA GTX 560 Ti SC DS to a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 with their WindForce cooling and I'm quite happy with the performance of the card along with how quiet it is no matter what speed the fans are running at. I do also agree with what Latios has stated concerning the size of a PSU along with the amount of RAM needed in a typical gaming rig. I used to have 8GB in my system and upgraded it to 16GB admittedly but I didn't see a change in performance in gaming but I did it for doing some non linear HD video editing and editing some rather high bitrate audio. And 500W is plenty for any single GPU system and should be for some time since power usage on GPUs has been trending downwards for the most part.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:12 pm 

maybe i will get Asus HD7970 3GB DirectCU II TOP , it's a good choice ? :o