Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: drivers issues with new build and Windows 8
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a new build with an Asus v pro z77 motherboard, an Intel ivy bridge unlocked i7 processor, an evga 670 and 470, a bunch of hard drives, and a Samsung 840 pro
I've installed Windows eight and have had a ton of issues. I had update and activation issues which I believe I've solved. However, when I install drivers for the motherboard from Asus's website for my os, I have trouble. I'll restart after every driver install but at some point it'll always say that Windows g failed to configure properly and has to reset, and I'll lose everything I've done since installation. Does anyone know what I should do? It didn't seem to be any one driver install in particular, but maybe I'm wrong.

Post subject: Re: drivers issues with new build and Windows 8
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Have you considered Win7?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

A few things here...

• Are you sure the drivers off the website are for Windows 8?
  • If you are sure, you can try a manual install. Now I'm not sure how this particular installation does it, but see if it left a folder somewhere in a place like C:\ (or if it asked you to specify, go there). You'll find a few .inf files that if you right click on, you can select an option to install it.
  • Alternatively, if you press Windows + W, search for "Device Manager" and run as an Administrator (unless your account already has admin rights). See if there's anything with a "?" that looks like it's on your motherboard. Right click on it, select "Update Driver", and do a manual search for the folder where the installation sets up a temp folder.

Also what drivers are you trying to install? Some of them aren't really necessary. In particular, Intel's Matrix RAID and Management Engine. If it's those two, you can just ignore it.

kleinkinstein wrote:
Have you considered Win7?

Have you considered solving the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:10 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ohhh boy! Okay, #1 rule in problem solving is root cause analysis. Win7 works, and 8ate doesn't here. And yeah, yeah I know you got all jiggy with it at Best Buy the other night and went home giddy with your friend. Cold reality is a root cause was found. Your suggestions are fine, but I prefer to let M$ defend and fix their decrepit iOS wannabe. But regardless, 7 is option however unpopular it is with you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have the exact same board as you TRL running Windows 8 64bit now and had no issues with drivers. Like Latios said, are you sure you downloaded win8 drivers? Which ones are giving you trouble/missing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm 

I have to agree. Even after Billy released iOS 8, he still has to expand his M$ driver database. Am I the only one who believes it's a bad idea to push an OS toward a release date without expanding a driver database first?! Yeah, because as long as such a database does not have the compatible drivers you need for your OS, some people are not going to be happy about that at all.
kleinkinstein wrote:
I prefer to let M$ defend and fix their decrepit iOS wannabe. But regardless, 7 is option however unpopular it is with you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

@Sak - This is completely off topic, and I am no Windows 8 lover (i enjoy whats under the hood, don't enjoy the interface) buts its worth saying. Why should MS fix drivers for your 10 year old printer/scanner/camera/webcam? Just like you update your computer you need to update your hardware. Working in the IT field I hate dealing with customers who get mad when the program the purchased back in 1998 doesn't work on Windows 7.........GET A NEW ONE. You act like thats the only piece of software or hardware that can do what you need. And its not MS's fault that HP/Dell/Fujitsu/Brother/Whoever is too lazy to update their drivers. That third-party company understands what I understand....UPDATE YOUR SHIT which is why they aren't bothering to waste engineer time to update drivers for that device, its pointless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

@Masterchi, just ignore these people. They don't know how to help.

Sorry OP.