Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: About the team sig...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:28 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I was just wondering about our team sig.

Here it is here: Image

First off, why is our rank given as the entire FAH rank? Personnaly, I feel this rank is quite useless, the number is just too big for someone like me. Why not use our team rank instead? I mean, this is a team sig, ya know.

Second, why even give our team number? That is going to be the same for every user. I think we could put in a more important number, such as an average of some kind. Personnaly, I would like to see a 24hr point average, but that's just me.

I know a lot of hard work went into this sig, but I think that it can still be improved on.

Let me know if you think that my ideas are any good or if I'm just being picky.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:35 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

I mentioned the team rank thing to Brain here.

Good idea about the team number, but if you're posting in a forum outside of here, you'll want other people to see your team number in case they want to change teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:03 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Ghostwheel wrote:
I mentioned the team rank thing to Brain here.

Good idea about the team number, but if you're posting in a forum outside of here, you'll want other people to see your team number in case they want to change teams.

That's true. When I first joined the team I had a hard time finding out the number, because Stanford doesn't give a heading for each column on the team stats page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:50 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

The main reason for this is the spiffy new loading sequence the F@H stats pages have. The difference between my stats sig and most others is the other onces run a script every 3 hours and cache the current results of the user stats. This allows them to calculate 24 hour and 7 day averages pretty easily since they have all the info. It is also quite easy to calculate overtaking estimates etc. My sig is real time in that it fetches the info when the page loads. This means that it won't display any info if the F@H page is unreachable. All of the displayed info is available on your personal stats page, but your team rank versus your overall rank is on a different page which will only slow the image processing down. For team rank to work I would have to load the team page (very slow) and find your username and rank and then add it. You would be waiting for the team page and your personal stats page to load and the script to parse the text and create the image. I could probably set it up to cache stats for active users every few hours, but that would take me a few days and would have to be wholly based upon a high demand from MaxPC folders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:17 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

DaBrain, have you considered fetching the stats from the EOC site?
I find that it loads much faster and has a lot of the specific stats that we like to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:22 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Read the forum announcement folder please. Ok, thanks! :)

Last edited by Spider Monkey on Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:25 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Oops, i really didn't mean to do that, but i hit submit, and the page didn't change, so i kept hitting submit.

My bad :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:43 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

big_mak wrote:
DaBrain, have you considered fetching the stats from the EOC site?
I find that it loads much faster and has a lot of the specific stats that we like to see.

I have and the way they have the html laid out makes it much more difficult to do the regular expression matching. I will give it a try. What are the stats that everyone wants to see the most in this sig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

from what i've read, team rank and points-per-day are two popular choices.
i would actually like to see the active procs in a week stat, to see how many machines each team memer has folding currently. good luck w/ working on the sig :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 pm 

I want to see how many minutes it will take for me to beat everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Basically I will code it however you guys want, but if I have to do more than one http request you can bet this image is going to take damned near forever to load and thus become unusable. If you want stats on the EOC page, I will do it that way and I can leave the current one working for people that like it, but data off 2 pages just ain't gonna cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:56 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

sorry DB, i forgot that the procs stat wasn't on EOC. it wasn't that important anyway :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:40 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

DaBrain wrote:
Basically I will code it however you guys want, but if I have to do more than one http request you can bet this image is going to take damned near forever to load and thus become unusable. If you want stats on the EOC page, I will do it that way and I can leave the current one working for people that like it, but data off 2 pages just ain't gonna cut it.

I would think that most members (including myself) would put a team rank stat above any others, as it seems only feasible to pick one. Hopefully others will chime in, but rest assured I speak for everyone in this forum named One4yu2c. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:44 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Yeah, Team Rank is a top priority, IMHO. However, if you have the time, a 24hr average would be great!

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:48 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

One4yu2c, you're the first person to pass me up! You now outrank me by about 40. :(

I hope to get this running on my sister's machine, she has a 2.5 ghz P4 that she leaves on most of the day. Hopefully, I should be able to pull another 60-80 ppd out of it :)

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:01 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Belboz99 wrote:
One4yu2c, you're the first person to pass me up! You now outrank me by about 40. :(

I hope to get this running on my sister's machine, she has a 2.5 ghz P4 that she leaves on most of the day. Hopefully, I should be able to pull another 60-80 ppd out of it :)

Dan O.

Woohoo! and climbing...Currently 57 spots ahead. I can't brag and/or celebrate though, there's a ton of dormant folders to wade through yet. It's a mass of obscure names up where we're at. Oh well, I've got 3 rigs and 4 processes chugging away, not much more I can do except be patient