Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steep climb to the top 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:07 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Man is it a steep climb to get into the top 100. I am on my way see you at the top of the 100. After that it's a climb that makes me :mrgreen:

E

Post subject: Re: Steep climb to the top 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:19 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I just hit top 50 today, a little over 9 months since starting.

The first few months went very slow until I added some good GPUs.

The last month getting into the top 50 was the slowest in advancing even though I have been generating the most points.

Don't give up when the advancing slows down, grind it out and keep contributing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

yea, the climb def takes longer now. It's a bit harder to stay motivated, but keep it up. I started to slow down, but when I saw red below me, I didn't like it, and it reminded me that there are others climbing behind me. I know I won't be able to keep it up when it warms up outside, so I want as much room between me and the others as possible

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Good luck on the climb E!

dglang and R3D88: My new mission is to get you guys outta my 'red space' while it's still snowing outside. Just ordered a second R9 290 (for 40% less than I paid for my first one...c'est la vie)...will it be enough? We shall see!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:47 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I guess that I'll have to get TWO more GTX980s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:48 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

dglang wrote:
I guess that I'll have to get TWO more GTX980s.

:lol:

I just hope I don't wind up leaving $ on the table now that the 960 is out. The card I bought yesterday is out of stock on Newegg today, so I guess I'm not the only person who thought it was a pretty good deal.

I'm also hoping my PSU can cope with the additional load; might have to stop SMP folding on my 4770K if I'm cutting it too close.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:22 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

It's no easy feat to get into the top 100 or especially top 50.

Come here to discuss anything; from general complaints, but especially your folding trials and tribulations. We can definitely use more activity here as well as more and better folders!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

A quickie question for AliusBU , How many PPD does the 290 produce? My GTX980 gives a little over 300,000 per day but it doesn't give that on EVERY work unit. Some workunits really grind out and produce much less. Fortunately I am not getting a lot of them at this time.

Nvidia needs to tweak their drivers a bit on the new Maxwells.

My GTX980 produces a little more than 3 times what my GTX770 does.

The big thing on the 980 id a lot less heat and lower electric demands.

I usually don't let the CPUs fold because they produce so little in comparison to the GPUs and they produce a lot of heat and consume a lot of power.

It might? be cheaper and less strain on the system to run dual GTX980s with out the CPU instead of one CPU and one GPU.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

The best setup for two GPUs would be to run the CPU on the number of cores minus however many GPUs that you have (total CPU cores - # of GPUs = folding cores). CPUs and GPUs do different types of work. Any and all work helps the science.

If you run into issues doing normal things, you can set your number of folding cores one more lower or lower the settings in the folding client (from full to medium on the slider or high to normal in the config tab). If you really want to tweak things for your particular setup you can use a program called process lasso and tweak per core for priority.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm also glad we've got a fun group of people here who can sure fold like crazy 8) My PPD output sure has changed since I started in 2011, and I know many have been around oodles longer than I have. (better late than never? :))

Gero1369 wrote:
If you run into issues doing normal things, you can set your number of folding cores one more lower or lower the settings in the folding client (from full to medium on the slider or high to normal in the config tab). If you really want to tweak things for your particular setup you can use a program called process lasso and tweak per core for priority.

I've had good luck with WinAFC for core control; it's free and it is hyper-threading aware as well, albeit a bit technical to configure in the first place.

dglang wrote:
A quickie question for AliusBU , How many PPD does the 290 produce? My GTX980 gives a little over 300,000 per day but it doesn't give that on EVERY work unit. Some workunits really grind out and produce much less. Fortunately I am not getting a lot of them at this time.

I'm going to have to do a little guesstimation to try and answer that Q, but here goes: Since I began folding 24/7 on my gaming PC in the colder months (which drastically beefs up PPD above my 'summer folder' which is my home server - Core i5-3570 folding smp:3 and GTX 650 Ti also folding), I have been averaging about 163k PPD for both machines. Since my server rarely pushes more than about 30k PPD, the rest of that comes from the R9 290 and my i7-4770K folding smp:6 (I've been leaving one real core available to support the GPU folding). I stopped folding on the CPU in my gaming rig to give my power supply a break now that I got the second 290, but I believe it was getting no more than 8 or 10k PPD.

Based on the above, I'm guessing each R9 290 (not overclocked at all, recently upgraded to the new Catalyst Omega drivers) is probably averaging about 125k PPD. The V7 client seems to think they're getting closer to 150k each, but its estimates always seem a little goofy to me - it just jumped to estimating 387k for both cards while I was writing this. I have also been very lucky lately because I seem to be getting nothing but Core 17 WUs, and they seem to average out to pretty consistent PPD.

I'm hoping my new winter overall PPD should settle in around 280k, and maybe some days I might even squeeze past 300. Yesterday it looks like I got 285k and EOC right now tells me my points in the last 24 hours = 360k. I also just realized (thanks to writing this post, so thank you!!!) my other machine had stopped folding after it rebooted, so yesterday's total should've been even higher.

The elephant in the room is your 980 blows me out of the water in efficiency. I have my kill-a-watt hooked to my gaming PC right now, and it is sucking a solid 480-500W from the wall with the 2 GPUs folding and me typing this post in Firefox. If I actually get my mail-in rebate though, that (+ the coupon code I used) brought the price of my new card down to $225, so, for me, that price was right. My PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W seems to be holding up so far even for gaming, even though I know I'm pushing it pretty hard. It also turns out my old UPS can't handle more than 450W of load, so that was my unintentional downside to this whole endeavor. Not that the UPS kept me running for more than a minute or two anyway, but it came in handy for those freak power blips.

Edit: My 125k estimate for my 290s might be a little low; could be closer to ~145k. I went back and checked on my 650 Ti, and at least some of the time it has been getting those Core 18 WUs that kill its PPD (almost cut in half from 25k+ to 13k). It sounds like that's probably what you're getting with the 980 too. I hope they get that sorted out, because it seems like it's not really optimized yet, or at least seems out of balance compared to the Core 17 WUs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:26 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

AliusBU , Thanks much for the reply.

I know that not too long ago the 290s were considered very good points producers and since the price on them has dropped so much I was wondering if it would be worthwhile buying one or two to help my production.

While purchase price is very important, operational costs may be even more important if one considers that a machine may be running 24/7 for a few years before a GPU needs to be replaced.

It's too early to know the longevity of the 980s but one may surmise that the lower current flow and heat might possibly lead to a longer life thereby requiring fewer replacements which in fact lowers the total operating costs.

If your 290s were producing at 150,000 points per day each they would still be out performed by a GTX980 which hits up to 350,000 points per day which is more than double what your pair of 290s produces.

If there was an exact 2 to 1 advantage then a GTX980 costing more than double what a pair of 290s costs isn't a bad investment when one considers the higher operating costs as well as increased wear on the power supplies due to the increased power requirements of the dual 290s. Other negative considerations from the 290s would be the increased heat within the case which negatively affects the motherboard, CPU, and other electronics within the case.

It seems like the GTX 980 is a better investment over the long run than a pair of 290s.

Back in the 70s I worked as a programmer at International Harvester. IH had a reputation of being the best quality but also much more expensive than it's competitors. IH handled this consideration by espousing it's products Lower Total Cost of Ownership (LCO) which when all operating costs were considered showed that their products actually cost less in the long run after factoring in operating costs for fuel, maintenance labor, and replacement parts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Finally slid on to the last page top 100. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:55 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Finally slid on to the last page top 100. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:23 pm