Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

If I understand you correctly twistedspark, you want to run Folding@Home on both PCs?

Or is your goal to move work units (henceforth referred to as WUs) between two systems occasionally.

If the first one is correct, then it the second system might not have finished a WU yet.

Check your log file to see if there is a problem. If there is, copy and paste the relevant info into a new thread and we'll try to get you squared away ASAP.

If the second is your objective, then I'd recommend running F@H on a flashdrive, and when you're ready to run on the second system, stop the client, move to second PC, restart, and it should work okay. At least if it's a single core CPU client.

If I'm not making any sense, feel free to hit me over the head with a hammer.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

twistedspark wrote:
How do I, if possible, do I set it up to run one instance of FAH on one PC and one other instance on the 2nd PC I'm using while setting both to give me the credit? I set the machine ID # as 1 on my first PC and as #2 on the other, but the stats file only shows me running one cpu.
I have no idea about networking and such, but I recently built a new PC and am trying to setup the old one to run FAH exclusively.

If running two different machines, just set them up eactly the same.
The same username and team number will combine your results at Stanford and EOC.

ID as 1 and 2 is only necessary when you run two instances of the same program on the same machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:08 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

gsmitheman wrote:
The same username and team number will combine your results at Stanford and EOC.

ID as 1 and 2 is only necessary when you run two instances of the same program on the same machine.

So I just set them both up as Username = twistedspark & Machine ID = 1 ?

If so, then good. Simple. But as for web access for each... Isn't it true that a signal degradation will result from splitting my cable 3 ways before it reaches my PC? ( 2 PC's and 1 TV)
I currently have a loss less T-tap coming off the side to hit the TV and in and through to the PC without a standard splitter.
Would I be better off just networking the PC's together? What's the simplest way to do that? Keep in mind that one can be right next to the other if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:46 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

twistedspark wrote:
gsmitheman wrote:

If so, then good. Simple. But as for web access for each... Isn't it true that a signal degradation will result from splitting my cable 3 ways before it reaches my PC? ( 2 PC's and 1 TV)
I currently have a loss less T-tap coming off the side to hit the TV and in and through to the PC without a standard splitter.
Would I be better off just networking the PC's together? What's the simplest way to do that? Keep in mind that one can be right next to the other if necessary.

The client will default to ID 1.

I use a splitter to the TV and the router.
Router to a switch on the other side of the room to pick up three additional machines and then down two flights to another switch to pick up 5 more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

twistedspark wrote:
gsmitheman wrote:

Folding @ Home only uses your PC's internet connection when it downloads a new work unit and then once again when uploading a work unit. In the mean time, while the unit is being worked on it will not use your world wide wibbly web access for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:44 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

RacerAC wrote:
Folding @ Home only uses your PC's internet connection when it downloads a new work unit and then once again when uploading a work unit. In the mean time, while the unit is being worked on it will not use your world wide wibbly web access for nothing.

Thank you guys for your input. As I stated, I know nothing about routers and such. Guess these replies should help me figure it out though.

I'm not worried about lost bandwidth. I know the client rarely uses the connection. My concern stems from discussions with cable techs who said to get the highest bandwidth, the cable should go to the PC without being split.
I haven't set this up yet, as I'm still waiting for my OS from Newegg. Guess I'll see how it works out....gotta order a router now... :|

Post subject: Howdy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:41 pm 

Just stoppin in to say howdy. Just got my new rig running right before christmas, so now i got my old system folding 24/7 and this one when i'm not on.

-Darth

Post subject: Re: Howdy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:58 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

darthanian wrote:
Just stoppin in to say howdy. Just got my new rig running right before christmas, so now i got my old system folding 24/7 and this one when i'm not on.

-Darth

Welcome darthanian

EOC Stats Click Here

You're off to a great start.

Have fun.
Enjoy the race in May.
Get in the summer contest and win something.
Read some SpotLights and lots of other regular threads.
Add to congrats.
Join in anywhere you feel comfortable.

Lots to learn, but after a while you will be ready to teach.

Thanks for folding for Stanford and for MaximumPC -G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Wow. A cable tech related question, that's MY area! :D

twistedspark wrote:
I'm not worried about lost bandwidth. I know the client rarely uses the connection. My concern stems from discussions with cable techs who said to get the highest bandwidth, the cable should go to the PC without being split.:|

Adding the router itself is not a bandwidth issue, so much as a signal strength issue. I doubt that you'll have any perceived loss of any kind, at all, either by you or the client. BUT, if all machines are doing something outrageous like streaming UTube simultaneoulsy, that's a different story - even then you might see a slowdown. But certainly not from anything Folding related.

Have fun! :wink:

-Dex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:52 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello all,

got two questions:

1. do you need permission to join Team MPC? Or is it just input and go?
2. Can the GPU client take advantage of SLI?
Got my rig folding as much as possible, and firing up the old PC solely for folding.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

cfmwarren wrote:
Hello all,

got two questions:

1. do you need permission to join Team MPC? Or is it just input and go?
2. Can the GPU client take advantage of SLI?
Got my rig folding as much as possible, and firing up the old PC solely for folding.

Thanks

Glad to have you, no permission is needed as everyone is welcomed and the more the merrier!

The GPU client can be ran on multiple cards, but SLI has to be disabled for it to work. When you wan to game, just re-enable it.

Here is Stanford's guide on Multi-GPU setup:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

After years of moping around; finally decided to join the MPC team. I have been folding before when I used to have a P4 machine in its prime. Anyways, I have a Mac now, so no GPU version for me :(

I have a few computers, so I'll have this installed on all of them in due time.

This is my old stats: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=137703

Last activity May 17th, 2005 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 am 

Hey, I'm a complete Noob but looking forward to being part of the team. I will probably be askin more questions then a third grader but look forward to hanging w/ U all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
well, welcome to the funworks, glad you picked us. question away, just start a thread on the regular forums, more people will see it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

McChief wrote:
Hey, I'm a complete Noob but looking forward to being part of the team. I will probably be askin more questions then a third grader but look forward to hanging w/ U all.

Welcome to the team McChief, your just in time for the Chimp Challenge.

To get you started I would recommend posting the specs and OS of your computer in the main section of the forum and someone will be along to get you set up with the proper clients to maximize your production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:33 am 

Hello guys, I'm just a newbie in folding, I read it from the main page of MaximumPC then downloaded the client from the Stanford's main page. Then Log-in my Username as KonZ3N then the team to 11108 as MaximumPC folding member.

My specs are not the great but I want to help in anyway and would like to know if the default client at Standford suits my specs:

AMD 4000+ X2
2gb Geil pc800 Memory
ATI HD2600 pro sonic
Windows XP 32-bit SP3

I'm running my own small internet shop and when I'm not playing and while playing I'm running F@H. But I'm not running it 24/7 since I need to close my shop.

How can I display the details in folding, because my clients doesn't have details when viewing in "Display" mode. Here's mine

Or I have to install another application for the details?

How can we put signature in our stats?

Thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Welcome ShinRenNU, it's great to have you with us here on Team MPC! I think you'll find us a pretty cool group to hang out, and fold with.

Regarding your questions, I'll get you started regarding monitoring the details of the Folding Client you downloaded. I'd recommend FahMon, which is a stand-alone application. It'll provide all the details you should need.

You can get the latest version here:
http://fahmon.net/

You'll also notice on that page there are links to instructions on it's setup and how it operates.

Another recommendation. You'll want to CLOSE and not use that F@H Viewer. It's known to be quite buggy and can cause lock-ups.

Others should be along to help you out with the rest of your questions. If it seems a long time for a response, you might want to start your own thread with the same questions in the main forum.

Hope this helps get you started, and Welcome Aboard! :)

-dex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:02 am 

Thank you very much DexOnLex. :D

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:33 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

:evil: I have come for your women! :twisted:

....and JRITT invited me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:04 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
welcome to the fold, thank jritt for us. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next