Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

makoto wrote:
You should just edit the first post and in the very top, include a link to download the client and have the team number. I read the very long post and didn't find the team number.

Welcome to team 11108 makoto

I added the team number to the second line of the first post.
I'll add the link in a minute, with a comment about those that might want to get right to work

When I made up the post it was more a background for those interested in how we got to where we are.

GM said the post was too long and My wife Rose says, ask you what time it is and you tell people how to build a watch

I believe I did a post on watch building very recently

If you worked your way through all the things that go on around here, I hope you have time and want to give those that look like fun a shot.

Post any questions on the main forum and answers will follow rapidly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I'll write some simple standard / gpu guides over the weekend.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 pm 

Thanks! Now if only the GPU client would support the ATI 5970. I'm currently running the SMP client on a Intel Core i7 980X.

I had a problem with it initially, it would download the work unit, but was unable to extract it. It didn't take me long to realize that it needs rights to extract to the Program Files directory, so I just ran it as Administrator.

If you have UAC enabled, make sure to run the client as Admin.

Also, it doesn't seem to take advantage of all 12 threads, only using 6 threads and only peaking at 8% processor usage.

Hopefully they'll have a better client soon.

Also worth noting is World Community Grid. Their client software definitely seems more robust and well polished, and have a variety of great causes such as fighthing aids, childhood cancer, muscular dystrophy and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

have you tried running your shortcut with the parameter -smp 12? I believe its meant to work with up to 16 cores, so 12 should be fine. Also, make sure you have hyper threading on, since with 6 threads running it may not be using that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

makoto wrote:
Thanks! Now if only the GPU client would support the ATI 5970. I'm currently running the SMP client on a Intel Core i7 980X.

I had a problem with it initially, it would download the work unit, but was unable to extract it. It didn't take me long to realize that it needs rights to extract to the Program Files directory, so I just ran it as Administrator.

Also, it doesn't seem to take advantage of all 12 threads, only using 6 threads and only peaking at 8% processor usage.

Also worth noting is World Community Grid. Their client software definitely seems more robust and well polished, and have a variety of great causes such as fighthing aids, childhood cancer, muscular dystrophy and more.

Nvidia rules around this section of the forums.

i7's do also. Run a linux vm for 20k+ ppd.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:56 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

makoto wrote:

We work with folding exclusively with a goal of maxing out our impact there.

If you could make future posts in the main forum itself, not a sticky, many more could enjoy the discussion.

Only those with posts in the thread are receiving emails about activity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Good read for a newbie to Folding. Thanks

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:21 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hello All!

I am very new to folding. I have downloaded the program and joined the Maxim PC team. My folding name is TheFATman82 which is a little different than my forum name but close.

I'm just going to look around for a while and see if I can catch on, and if not I'll ask some questions. Thanks!

Last edited by TheFATman on Sun May 30, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

WELCOME to Team MPC, TheFATman! :)

THANKS for Folding with us! 8)

If you find you have questions, don't hesitate to start a thread and ask away. We have plenty of members that will be more than happy to assist you.

-dex

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:33 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

TheFATman wrote:
Hello All!

I am very new to folding. I have downloaded the program and joined the Maxim PC team. My folding name is TheFATman82 which is a little different than my forum name but close.

I'm just going to look around for a while and see if I can catch on, and if not I'll ask some questions. Thanks!

There is a lot to learn

More now than a few years ago, as new clients take advantage of new hardware

But that's a lot of the fun in the first weeks and months as you conquer all the possibilities.

Teams compete for ranking but they don't mind people using their helpful threads and advice.

As Dex said above, ask questions any time.

Best to ask them on the main forum where the most people will see them and you stand the best chance of the best answers quickly.

Folding should always be fun because that's what you're paid in for your great support.

The folder that has the most fun wins

We only get serious when you have a problem with folding or your, your families or your friends health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi

I am applying my forum name and MaximumPC team # to all my Folding@home configs and my Playstation 3

I folded for TWiT Live group there activity had been down. So not new to folding.

1 GPU
1-3 CPUs
1 Cell Processor "PS3"

I figure I could still do this on Dial-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Markitzero wrote:
Hi

I am applying my forum name and MaximumPC team # to all my Folding@home configs and my Playstation 3

I folded for TWiT Live group there activity had been down. So not new to folding.

1 GPU
1-3 CPUs
1 Cell Processor "PS3"

I figure I could still do this on Dial-up.

Welcome

Have fun folding

Post on the main forum and many more folks will respond

Tell us more there about TWiT Live, an interesting name and if you want where you are from in the world

We love pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

What gpu and cpu's are you using?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB

Location: Phelan, California USA in the land were there is slow internet as in Dial-up

TWiT Live Have you ever heard of Leo Leporte from the TechTV
s The screen savers and Canada's Call for help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiT.tv_%28network%29:

TWiT.tv, which is the operating trade name of TWiT LLC, is a podcast (though TWiT uses the term netcast) network run by technology broadcaster and author Leo Laporte. The network began operation in April 2005 with the launch of This Week in Tech. Security Now was the second podcast on the network, debuting in August of that year. Currently TWiT.tv hosts nineteen podcasts and several live streaming shows covering various topics including the internet, computer security, Microsoft, Apple, food and current technology news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Welcome!

Nice to have ya aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Tedster for you
Playstation 3 -
CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

Main PC - EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS 320MB Superclock /w CUDA
Second PC - Sony VAIO Intel P4 1.30Ghz

Off and on folding
Laptop - Alienware Auora M9700 AMD Turion 64 Moble 2.41Ghz
Netbook- Acer One Aspire Intel Atom /Hyperthreading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

WELCOME to Team MPC, Markitzero! 8)

Consider moving that last post with your specs to it's own thread on the main forum. You'll get a much larger response from all our members, as not too many of our regular members get around to visiting this thread.

There are many that are here to help! :wink:

Again, THANKS for Folding with us! :)

-dex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Markitzero wrote:
EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB

Location: Phelan, California USA in the land were there is slow internet as in Dial-up

TWiT Live Have you ever heard of Leo Leporte from the TechTV
s The screen savers and Canada's Call for help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiT.tv_%28network%29:

TWiT.tv, which is the operating trade name of TWiT LLC, is a podcast (though TWiT uses the term netcast) network run by technology broadcaster and author Leo Laporte. The network began operation in April 2005 with the launch of This Week in Tech. Security Now was the second podcast on the network, debuting in August of that year. Currently TWiT.tv hosts nineteen podcasts and several live streaming shows covering various topics including the internet, computer security, Microsoft, Apple, food and current technology news.

I use to enjoy watching the TechTV show with Leo and the rest of them.

My son Eric enjoys the podcasts you referenced above.

He learned a few things by listening to them that helped him in a job interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 pm 

ok can someone help me out here? i've downloaded the GUI version of the folding@home and i've configured it to team 11108, but i'm not sure how to work it... do i just double click on the icon for folding@home and let it sit there? and thats it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

yosimba2000 wrote:
ok can someone help me out here? i've downloaded the GUI version of the folding@home and i've configured it to team 11108, but i'm not sure how to work it... do i just double click on the icon for folding@home and let it sit there? and thats it?

As long as you're conected to the internet, yes. The client will start and connect to one of the Stanford servers to download a work unit (WU). In Win 7, the client will drop to your system tray. If you hover your pointer over it, it will show the amount of work done. When it has finished the WU it will re-connect with the Stanford servers to send the results back and pick up your next WU.

Read the guide from Stanford here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinUNIGuide

If you still have questions, start a new thread in this forum. Let us know what hardware and OS you're using so the other members can suggest the best setup for your equipment.

Welcome to the MaxPC Folding team, yosimba2000! Glad to have you on the team!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next